Come get your flu vaccine, made from diseased monkey flesh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're not vaccinated against anything? Really?

well the ones i had when i was a kid of course, when i didnt know better. but none within the last 10 years or so (im 24). i refuse to get anymore shots.

the last one i had was for meningitis and it made me feel like shit for a week so i said never again.

You do realize that the biggest reason for why many diseases are now not spread rampantly are vaccines? That the only reason that smallpox is eradicated is because everyone was vaccinated, and not just some people who "didn't know any better"?

I have not gotten the flu shot myself because I doubt its effectiveness and I'm a young, healthy individual. That said, my grandmother died of the flu this past April, so let's not be fooled into thinking that it may not have some use for certain segments of the population.

I have not gotten the flu shot myself because I doubt its effectiveness .

so we agree.

true, some vaccines are good and some arent. i dont care what anyone else does, im not saying you should or shouldnt get them, but i'll stick to my superhuman immune system :lol:

so instead of focusing on me, tell me what you think of the article?

I don't think much of the article. It sounds like the typical fear mongering of the anti-vaccine lobby which has been given far too much attention in the US.

I've been skeptical of some vaccines after reading about links to Gulf War syndrome years ago.

well the ones i had when i was a kid of course, when i didnt know better. but none within the last 10 years or so (im 24). i refuse to get anymore shots.

the last one i had was for meningitis and it made me feel like shit for a week so i said never again.

so you decided when you were 14 that you knew more than the collective medical community?

so you decided when you were 14 that you knew more than the collective medical community?

no, my decision was fairly recent, considering that past experience and a little research.

i just happened to not have any shots since i was around 14 or so :lol:

but i guess i should let the medical community make my decisions for me, even though my family and i have had some pretty bad experiences with them in the past.

I've never had a flu shot, despite them being pushed on us (Canadians) for well over a decade now. I'm of the "young, healthy people don't need it" mindset. I sometimes wonder if healthy people vaccinating themselves against something as simple as the seasonal flu messes with one's immune system in any way. However, I'm strongly considering getting one this year, in case H1N1 mutates into something more serious than we've seen so far.

However, I'm strongly considering getting one this year, in case H1N1 mutates into something more serious than we've seen so far.

Well if that happens, the existing flu shot sure won't help you any...

They can't develop a vaccine for an unknown strain. So if it mutates in the fall, the flu shot is worthless.

This is the main reason that I have never gotten the shot. It protects against the strains of the major world flu outbreaks, as well as strains that are guesses. Basically, they look at the most dominant strains present in the preceding flu season, and then mathematical models compute probable mutations, and those are included in the vaccine as well. But this is at best a guessing game. So far, we haven't outsmarted a mutating virus...

They can't develop a vaccine for an unknown strain. So if it mutates in the fall, the flu shot is worthless.

This is the main reason that I have never gotten the shot. It protects against the strains of the major world flu outbreaks, as well as strains that are guesses. Basically, they look at the most dominant strains present in the preceding flu season, and then mathematical models compute probable mutations, and those are included in the vaccine as well. But this is at best a guessing game. So far, we haven't outsmarted a mutating virus...

How comforting!

I was aware that they base it on current strains as well as some guesses, but I didn't know they had such a poor record with the guessing part. Oh well. Could be an interesting winter.

I haven't had any shots either since I was a kid and I am 26. Reason being is after talking to my sister who is a cell biologist I was pretty certain if she was saying I didn't need certain shots then why get them.

When I took care of my mum (who had heart damage and was susceptible to just about everything) I made sure I got a flu shot every year. Now I don't. I'm generally pretty healthy and I don't have much contact with germ factories (children), so I figure I don't really need them now.

Plus that one time the nurse hit a blood vessel kind of soured me on the experience. I bled like a stuck pig, and then my upper arm was swollen, hot, very sore, and had a bruise the size of my hand for several days. Good times! :happy:

Still, if I had an underlying medical condition where getting the flu could be life threatening, I'd get the damned shot.

You do realize that the biggest reason for why many diseases are now not spread rampantly are vaccines? That the only reason that smallpox is eradicated is because everyone was vaccinated, and not just some people who "didn't know any better"?

Of course, this is only thanks to this being the days when the UN would pin people down and forcefully vaccinate them against their will, as any myriad of people tried to claim a "religious opposition" to vaccination, even if it was a disease as horrifying as smallpox.

Interestingly enough, anti-vaccine troglodytes existed even in the late 18th/early 19th century when they were first invented too.

Too much hysteria round this swine flu in the UK at least anyway. On my last nursing placement, we had to phone 'Silver Command' if a patient was expected of swine flu...even within the NHS there seems too much silliness floating around. Never found out who 'Gold Command' was....seems top secret:shifty:

I won't be getting the flu shots because I rarely get flu and I hate shots.

BUT, when I was in Jamaica 27 years ago at the tail end of a polio epidemic, I was very glad I had been vaccinated. Same when my husband got rubella several years ago.

I just wanted to pop in and point out that one shouldn't generalize the flu shot to all vaccines. The flu is a virus capable of extremely high levels of mutation due to it's multi strand genomic structure which essentially allows it to mix and match - this is on top of mutation within the genome itself. And, unfortunately, the markers that are used by our immune system to recognize the virus are highly variable. These markers are what we are vaccinated with, and is why the vaccine has to be changed every year. It is also the reason why I agree, it likely has limited effectiveness. Especially in the young and healthy.
However, with many other viruses, even between different strains/variations there are certain markers that remain highly invariable- so even if there is a mutation, the immune system will still be able to recognize it because of that marker - or markers, often vaccines will include mutliple markers so that even if one changes, there are fall backs. Making many other vaccine's highly effective.
Now, for those who don't get say, the MMR vaccine and say hey, I haven't gotten sick - you have the rest of us to thank, essentially. The wonders of herd immunity. As a number of small communities have learned the hard way.

Just wanted to throw some of that out there.

virology :drool:

PS. I hate needles :sad:

Back
Top Bottom