Come get your flu vaccine, made from diseased monkey flesh! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
They can't develop a vaccine for an unknown strain. So if it mutates in the fall, the flu shot is worthless.

This is the main reason that I have never gotten the shot. It protects against the strains of the major world flu outbreaks, as well as strains that are guesses. Basically, they look at the most dominant strains present in the preceding flu season, and then mathematical models compute probable mutations, and those are included in the vaccine as well. But this is at best a guessing game. So far, we haven't outsmarted a mutating virus...
How comforting!

I was aware that they base it on current strains as well as some guesses, but I didn't know they had such a poor record with the guessing part. Oh well. Could be an interesting winter.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:42 PM
I haven't had any shots either since I was a kid and I am 26. Reason being is after talking to my sister who is a cell biologist I was pretty certain if she was saying I didn't need certain shots then why get them.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:42 AM
When I took care of my mum (who had heart damage and was susceptible to just about everything) I made sure I got a flu shot every year. Now I don't. I'm generally pretty healthy and I don't have much contact with germ factories (children), so I figure I don't really need them now.

Plus that one time the nurse hit a blood vessel kind of soured me on the experience. I bled like a stuck pig, and then my upper arm was swollen, hot, very sore, and had a bruise the size of my hand for several days. Good times!

Still, if I had an underlying medical condition where getting the flu could be life threatening, I'd get the damned shot.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
You do realize that the biggest reason for why many diseases are now not spread rampantly are vaccines? That the only reason that smallpox is eradicated is because everyone was vaccinated, and not just some people who "didn't know any better"?
Of course, this is only thanks to this being the days when the UN would pin people down and forcefully vaccinate them against their will, as any myriad of people tried to claim a "religious opposition" to vaccination, even if it was a disease as horrifying as smallpox.

Interestingly enough, anti-vaccine troglodytes existed even in the late 18th/early 19th century when they were first invented too.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Too much hysteria round this swine flu in the UK at least anyway. On my last nursing placement, we had to phone 'Silver Command' if a patient was expected of swine flu...even within the NHS there seems too much silliness floating around. Never found out who 'Gold Command' was....seems top secret
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
She's the One

Local Time: 08:42 PM
I won't be getting the flu shots because I rarely get flu and I hate shots.

BUT, when I was in Jamaica 27 years ago at the tail end of a polio epidemic, I was very glad I had been vaccinated. Same when my husband got rubella several years ago.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Gettin' hot in a photobooth....livin it up in Ikeaville
I just wanted to pop in and point out that one shouldn't generalize the flu shot to all vaccines. The flu is a virus capable of extremely high levels of mutation due to it's multi strand genomic structure which essentially allows it to mix and match - this is on top of mutation within the genome itself. And, unfortunately, the markers that are used by our immune system to recognize the virus are highly variable. These markers are what we are vaccinated with, and is why the vaccine has to be changed every year. It is also the reason why I agree, it likely has limited effectiveness. Especially in the young and healthy.
However, with many other viruses, even between different strains/variations there are certain markers that remain highly invariable- so even if there is a mutation, the immune system will still be able to recognize it because of that marker - or markers, often vaccines will include mutliple markers so that even if one changes, there are fall backs. Making many other vaccine's highly effective.
Now, for those who don't get say, the MMR vaccine and say hey, I haven't gotten sick - you have the rest of us to thank, essentially. The wonders of herd immunity. As a number of small communities have learned the hard way.

Just wanted to throw some of that out there.

virology

PS. I hate needles
Old 08-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #23
The Fly

There are probably just as many people likely to die of seasonal flu.I doubt that will grab the headlines though.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Twelve diseased monkeys?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
I get a flu shot every year.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:42 PM
I hate shots.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I love giving shots.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn2441 View Post
no, my decision was fairly recent, considering that past experience and a little research.
Research done by humans only tells humans exactly what they want to hear out of that research.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #29
Forum Moderator

As opposed to what other kind of research?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~brighteststar~ View Post
now, for those who don't get say, the mmr vaccine and say hey, i haven't gotten sick - you have the rest of us to thank, essentially. The wonders of herd immunity.
qfmft