College freshman commits suicide after sex tape posted on internet by roommate - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:03 PM
Yeah-certainly the bullying isn't helping one bit and just added to the hell these kids are going through to where they're killing themselves so young, but I have to think there's other factors that would be in play, too. History of depression or things of that nature in the family, the family itself can sometimes be tormentors before the kids even encounter other members of society, etc., etc. I've always understood it that there's never one specific thing that drives people to suicide, it seems to be a multitude of problems building up, and then there's an event that's just the final straw. Tons of kids all over the country get bullied day in and day out and don't resort to suicide, so I have to imagine there's other factors at play that are causing this to happen, and the bullying's just part of the fuel on the fire.

Whatever the reasons, these stories are horrific and something desperately needs to be done to stop this, no question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Where are the parents of these bullying children? Where were the parents of the kids at Rutgers?
I suspect some of them probably do a lot of bullying themselves.

Angela

Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM   #92
She's the One

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
What do you expect them to do? It sounds to me like quite a few of the ones who have commited suicide have had their parents support.

Reread my post you actually quoted. I said bullying children, bot bullied children.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #93
She's the One

Local Time: 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I suspect some of them probably do a lot of bullying themselves.
I would guarantee it.

And they bully the members of the "lame-ass" educational system that try to stop their kids.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #94
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I would just like to know why two 13 year olds have commited suicide. Honestly, I'd expect someone of that age to draw a gun on someone else before they draw it on themselves. Consideirng they were only 13, dont you think that it either must have been really bad bullying or really overly dramatic handling of the situation or maybe they were influenced by the other suicides?
What makes you believe that 13 year olds are more likely to take out their depression outwardly rather than inwardly?

Quote:
I mean... how can a 13 year old, who likely just entered puberty, decide they are gay, come out of the closet that fast, and have enough bullying to want to commit suicide? Seems awfully quick...

I'd say each suicide is influencing the next.
Did you decide you were straight at age 14?

I seriously doubt that each suicide is influencing the next.

Do you really think it matters if the child was gay, straight, out of the closet, or in the closet? The last article didn't even mention the kid was out of the closet, it just said the kids accussed him of being gay and constantly bullied him.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #95
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:03 PM
something about the reaction to this story has really bothered me.

obviously this is a horrible story, and similar stories have been repeated far too often throughout the nation, and the world as a whole. bullying is a terrible thing, and it has been for a long, long time, in whatever form it may be in... cyber or otherwise.

but there's a large part of this story that is just floating by without being addressed, and that is the issue of our culture's obsession with the invasion of privacy.

feeling the need to hide who you really are, and being driven to suicide when that is revealed to the world is a horrible horrible thing that needs to change, but one could certainly see the same situation being played out where a straight female was unknowingly broadcast to the world engaged in a sexual act that was supposed to be private; or any other number of situations.

to listen to perez hilton get up and preach about how sad he is about this situation makes my stomach curl. this is a man who's entire being is based around embarrassing people, putting pictures and videos and audio of what was once a private thing and blasting it to the world. he, himself, has outted gay celebrities before. does he not understand what he's doing? do you think clay aiken was all peachy about the pictures posted? what about miley cyrus? britney spears? ricky martin? lance bass? erin andrews? what, because these people are celebrities they can not possibly be depressed? suicidal? perez hilton is the #1 cyber bully in the world.

we're all guilty of what these two college kids have done. every one of us. as sad as this story makes you feel... think to yourself if you've ever gone to TMZ, or perezhilton.com, or radaronline, or any of the other rags whose sole purpose is the embarrassment of other human beings.

when the erin andrews story broke, the news outlets could have refused to show screencaps. they didn't. they showed them. and we all watched.

we are a voyeur society. we relish in the embarrassment of others, and then blame everyone else when that person lashes out, or takes their own life.

we are all to blame.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:10 AM   #96
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

to listen to perez hilton get up and preach about how sad he is about this situation makes my stomach curl. this is a man who's entire being is based around embarrassing people, putting pictures and videos and audio of what was once a private thing and blasting it to the world. he, himself, has outted gay celebrities before. does he not understand what he's doing? do you think clay aiken was all peachy about the pictures posted? what about miley cyrus? britney spears? ricky martin? lance bass? erin andrews? what, because these people are celebrities they can not possibly be depressed? suicidal? perez hilton is the #1 cyber bully in the world.

we're all guilty of what these two college kids have done. every one of us. as sad as this story makes you feel... think to yourself if you've ever gone to TMZ, or perezhilton.com, or radaronline, or any of the other rags whose sole purpose is the embarrassment of other human beings.

when the erin andrews story broke, the news outlets could have refused to show screencaps. they didn't. they showed them. and we all watched.

we are a voyeur society. we relish in the embarrassment of others, and then blame everyone else when that person lashes out, or takes their own life.

we are all to blame.
I agree and disagree... Perez is a hypocrite. But I believe there is a difference to what a celebrity does out in public and what you are talking about.

I don't know the Erin Andrews story, I know who she is but I don't know of what story you're talking about.

What goes on behind closed doors, in the privacy of your own home, backyard, etc should be completely off limits and I will not condone or get sucked into anything that exploits such voyeurism.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #97
Blue Crack Distributor

i'm not talking about someone who goes out and does something stupid in the public spotlight. i'm talking about the constant harassment and stalking and leaking of private images, recordings, voicemails, etc. etc. that this culture thrives on.

in no way do i compare what tiger woods has gone through to what this kid had to deal with... but i will use tiger as an example as to how sick our society is. what did he do that was in the public spotlight? he got into a car crash. in the past that would have been it. but we needed to know why... why was he out that late, what were the circumstances, blah blah blah. then came the voicemails and text messages. all things that are private things, broadcasted across the world for all to see. now tiger is seen as a scumbag, and rightfully so... but what did he do publicly? nothing.

erin andrews is an ESPN sideline reporter who had a stalker take video of her getting undressed in her hotel room and posted it on the internet. it could have ended there... but it didn't. there it was on the evening news... "just a horrible, horrible story... and here's the video!" it's disgusting... but we watched.

lance bass was being outted in the press, and by this hypocritical piece of shit perez hilton, years before he came out publicly. same goes for ricky martin.

this is the society in which we live in... where nothing is private any longer. nobody is safe. public humiliation is a billion dollar industry in western culture. we are horrified when it all goes wrong, but we keep on doing it anyways.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Reread my post you actually quoted. I said bullying children, bot bullied children.
Ah, okay, gotcha.

In which case... most stuff that goes on in school stays in school.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #99
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
What makes you believe that 13 year olds are more likely to take out their depression outwardly rather than inwardly?
It's harder for a younger mind to understand the difference between right and wrong. They're more likely to seek revenge in the search of acceptance. I didnt mean the comment literally, I doubt any of them would draw a gun on anybody either. Just making the point that I dont understand why they killed themselves at such a young age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Did you decide you were straight at age 14?

I seriously doubt that each suicide is influencing the next.

Do you really think it matters if the child was gay, straight, out of the closet, or in the closet? The last article didn't even mention the kid was out of the closet, it just said the kids accussed him of being gay and constantly bullied him.
What's your point here? Most people who are gay do not realize they're gay or do not come out about it until later in life. My point is that this kid could've only been publically gay for so long considering you dont really develop feelings for someone else until you have gone through puberty. So the idea that... oh... a single year of middle school was so bad that it drove this kid to suicide... keep in mind that many in the LGBT community go through such torture for years and years... it's kind of unbelieveable.

For a 13 year old to commit suicide, that's an extremely young age. There must've either been something prosecutably wrong, more than just issues about being teased, the suicides are influencing each other, or something.

I never said anything about it mattering what his sexuality was. Do not lecture me, I fully support anybody and there decision of sexuality. In the case of Seth Walsh, it appears as though that kid was openly gay. It also appears as though he's not the first to hang himself.

Suicide is often a cause of many things at once, not just one thing.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #100
Refugee

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Quote:
What do you expect them to do? It sounds to me like quite a few of the ones who have commited suicide have had their parents support.

It's society that needs to change. It's really depressing to think that it's come to this.

I would just like to know why two 13 year olds have commited suicide. Honestly, I'd expect someone of that age to draw a gun on someone else before they draw it on themselves. Consideirng they were only 13, dont you think that it either must have been really bad bullying or really overly dramatic handling of the situation or maybe they were influenced by the other suicides?

I mean... how can a 13 year old, who likely just entered puberty, decide they are gay, come out of the closet that fast, and have enough bullying to want to commit suicide? Seems awfully quick...

I'd say each suicide is influencing the next.

I knew at age thirteen. I was heterosexual. Though, I wasn't allowed to date or anything like that.

I tell you exactly what. I expect other parents to do. Raise your children to be respectful of all others. It is never "okay" to call anyone a faggot, queer, lesbo, etc. All human beings have feelings and rights. I as a parent/grand parent have never used "nasty, hateful words." And neither do my grown children. Life lessons begin at home.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #101
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

What's your point here? Most people who are gay do not realize they're gay or do not come out about it until later in life. My point is that this kid could've only been publically gay for so long considering you dont really develop feelings for someone else until you have gone through puberty. So the idea that... oh... a single year of middle school was so bad that it drove this kid to suicide... keep in mind that many in the LGBT community go through such torture for years and years... it's kind of unbelieveable.
Realize and coming out are two different things, I know of plenty people who knew they were gay since kindergarten. I knew I was straight then, why should it be different? But my point was that it really doesn't matter if he was out or not, the story of this last 13 year old had nothing to do with him being out, the kids just bullied him about it anyways. That was my only point.
Quote:
For a 13 year old to commit suicide, that's an extremely young age. There must've either been something prosecutably wrong, more than just issues about being teased, the suicides are influencing each other, or something.
I think there is a difference between 'teased' and 'bullied'. 13 is a tender age and everyone matures differently, teenage suicide is not uncommon what some feel at 17 some can feel as early as 13.

I don't buy that the suicides are influenced by others, it just doesn't fit what we know about suicide and depression.
Quote:
I never said anything about it mattering what his sexuality was. Do not lecture me, I fully support anybody and there decision of sexuality. In the case of Seth Walsh, it appears as though that kid was openly gay. It also appears as though he's not the first to hang himself.
I'm not lecturing most of my post were questions, just trying to figure out why you can't fathom that the barrage of bullying was enough.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #102
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
I knew at age thirteen. I was heterosexual. Though, I wasn't allowed to date or anything like that.

I tell you exactly what. I expect other parents to do. Raise your children to be respectful of all others. It is never "okay" to call anyone a faggot, queer, lesbo, etc. All human beings have feelings and rights. I as a parent/grand parent have never used "nasty, hateful words." And neither do my grown children. Life lessons begin at home.
It's easy to know if you're straight... go ahead and talk to some homosexual people. Some figure it out early... others dont.

That's not the point though. Completely off it, really. It's the point that no kindergardener (see the post below you) comes out of the closet or gets ridiculed for being homosexual. That stuff happens when? In middle school. You start middle school turning 12 years old. The fact is that this kid, in all likelihood, was only mocked/teased/bullied/these terms are all synonymous/etc. for about a year or two. Most people who go through this suffer for years before taking that option.

There is more to this than just a kid who was bullied.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Here's one from Tim Gunn, explaining that he attempted suicide when he was 17.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i mean, it's TIM GUNN.

this should tell you the deep psychological wounds that homophobia inflicts on even the most confident, intelligent, everything-in-the-world-to-live-for individuals. i would imagine that more LGBT individuals have been suicidal at various points than not.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #104
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It's easy to know if you're straight... go ahead and talk to some homosexual people. Some figure it out early... others dont.

That's not the point though. Completely off it, really. It's the point that no kindergardener (see the post below you) comes out of the closet or gets ridiculed for being homosexual. That stuff happens when? In middle school. You start middle school turning 12 years old. The fact is that this kid, in all likelihood, was only mocked/teased/bullied/these terms are all synonymous/etc. for about a year or two. Most people who go through this suffer for years before taking that option.

I never said these people came out during kindergarten, just that they knew.

I think you're missing the point that Seth may have been bullied well before he came out as well. You seem to be stuck on the timeline and looking for some conspiracy or something. Everyone is different and maybe a year of severe bullying was all it took, for this individual that already had self confidence issues or depression to reach a point where they felt they couldn't handle it anymore.

I just find your speculations very odd.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Maybe I'm daft but I'm totally missing your point. You've never seen or heard of a kid under the age of 14 being bullied? I saw kids in my own class get picked on when I was in 2nd grade, I remember it well. One boy always picked on another boy (as in, he would attack him and starting fighting him physically for no reason other than the boy being bullied was small, looked kinda weird, and acted strange). It happens everyday. Not all homosexuals are bullied and not all bullying has to do with homophobia.