College freshman commits suicide after sex tape posted on internet by roommate - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #61
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,609
Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
He's said all sorts of appalling shit on his Twitter.

The man is a hateful cretin.
seriously. one internet trend i'm beyond tired of is posting insults like he did and then brushing them off as some huge joke. "fuck you, i hope you die." "hahaha you didn't know i was kidding? of course i was!" no, i think you're just trying to do damage control and failing badly. (ftr i'm not talking about sarcastic comments misread as being serious.)
__________________

__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Got Philk?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Arizona, Tacoma, Philadelphia ,Atlanta, LA...
Posts: 6,875
Local Time: 12:16 AM
Welcome to Facebook

I hope this worked...
__________________

__________________
Got Philk? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:05 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 11:16 PM
let's see, so, in addition to the super bizarre crush that Andrew Shirvell has on the gay student president of the University of Michigan, yet another gay kid has killed himself this week:

Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida

we don't know much about this one yet, but we can add him to the list of gay kids who have killed themselves this week: Tyler Clementi, Billy Lucas, Seth Walsh, and Asher Brown.

BlogPost - Suicides of gay teenagers: Four dead in three weeks

don't think for a second that the actions of Maggie Gallagher of NOM, the Pope, and every asshole on the playground don't contribute to these deaths. there is blood on your hands. every time you protest against the basic equality of gay people, you have blood on your hands. every time you try to cite whatever religious text to justify your discrimination, you have blood on your hands. every time you put forward and argument that argues that straight people are always and in all ways *better* than gay people, you have blood on your hands. every time you vote for an anti-gay politician, you have blood on your hands. every time you go to church and you listen to anti-gay sermons and never say a word, you have blood on your hands.

i am so done with all of this. i will tear you to pieces if you dare pretend that there's some sort of question as to the basic dignity and basic rights of all gay people every where. the very lives of gay teenagers hang in the balance. it does get better.

http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterp.../3/rLUBVN14diw

i was never bullied in high school. i was a busy kid with academics and athletics on my mind, and i had a good group of friends. but tonight, as i was walking to a restaurant tonight from a bar to a restaurant with a big group of gay guys, someone threw eggs at us.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:16 PM
I am really sorry some jack ass kids threw eggs at you and your friends.

I think that type of crime deserves harsher punishment than what is probably on the books now.

I've had some of my properties egged before and I know how mad that made me. I don't have a lot of faith in many young people these days. In the beach area where I live there are a lot of obnoxious young people.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:30 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 11:16 PM
it could have been because we were a group of gay guys. it could have been because we were white (save for one of us, who is black). we could just have been the right people at the right time.

but my immediately conclusion was because we were gay.

we just kept walking.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #66
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,271
Local Time: 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
don't think for a second that the actions of Maggie Gallagher of NOM, the Pope, and every asshole on the playground don't contribute to these deaths. there is blood on your hands. every time you protest against the basic equality of gay people, you have blood on your hands. every time you try to cite whatever religious text to justify your discrimination, you have blood on your hands. every time you put forward and argument that argues that straight people are always and in all ways *better* than gay people, you have blood on your hands. every time you vote for an anti-gay politician, you have blood on your hands. every time you go to church and you listen to anti-gay sermons and never say a word, you have blood on your hands.

i am so done with all of this. i will tear you to pieces if you dare pretend that there's some sort of question as to the basic dignity and basic rights of all gay people every where. the very lives of gay teenagers hang in the balance.
I have to agree with this. Every last word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but tonight, as i was walking to a restaurant tonight from a bar to a restaurant with a big group of gay guys, someone threw eggs at us.
That sucks. Sorry about that.

I suppose I'll never get it. I'll never understand what makes people think doing stuff like that is okay. I'm sick to death of the stupidity, I'm sick to death of the immaturity. When the hell is society going to grow up?

Also sorry to hear about yet another suicide. My thoughts and condolances to all those who've lost loved ones in such a horrific manner. If anything good can come out of this, maybe it'll force society to be introduced to a thing called humanity.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
but tonight, as i was walking to a restaurant tonight from a bar to a restaurant with a big group of gay guys, someone threw eggs at us.
hhhhhrrrrrrmmm That shit makes me mad beyond belief
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #68
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it could have been because we were a group of gay guys. it could have been because we were white (save for one of us, who is black). we could just have been the right people at the right time.

but my immediately conclusion was because we were gay.

we just kept walking.

I am very sorry to hear of someone being so obnoxious towards you and your friends. Sadly, I think your conclusion is correct.

Gay bashing/bullying has got to stop. It isn't funny. It is a hate crime.

Thank you Got Philk for posting Ellen's message. It brought tears to my eyes and I'm sure, her's as well.
__________________
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #69
Refugee
 
A stor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.S.A. East Coast
Posts: 2,464
Local Time: 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I have to agree with this. Every last word.



That sucks. Sorry about that.

I suppose I'll never get it. I'll never understand what makes people think doing stuff like that is okay. I'm sick to death of the stupidity, I'm sick to death of the immaturity. When the hell is society going to grow up?

Also sorry to hear about yet another suicide. My thoughts and condolances to all those who've lost loved ones in such a horrific manner. If anything good can come out of this, maybe it'll force society to be introduced to a thing called humanity.

Angela

Well said Angela!


I am so sick of it too. Young lives tragically ended and for what? These young people had so much ahead of them. Big friggin deal, if some folks are gay or lesbian. Time for society to grow up. Who you love and choose to spend your life with. Is your business.

Intolerance and hatred has no place in our world, not anymore. I think change can begin with each of us. Parents, grand parents, please teach your children to be thoughtful and kind towards all others. Everyone of us are "different" in some aspect and that's okay.
__________________
A stor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #70
War Child
 
juliaguliaxo94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: East Coast biyatch!
Posts: 731
Local Time: 12:16 AM
I found out about this story in my art class. This kid was saying how it's wrong to use the term "gay" in the derogatory term, especially towards a person that could possibly really be gay (which could basically be anyone). Then he told us the story. We were all apalled.

The worst part about it was, as our teacher pointed out, that these people who did this aren't in middle school or even high school anymore, and they're in college, meaning they're adults. You'd think they would be over that shit by now, but I guess not.

It's sad since how at my high school, there is this boy who is flamboyantly gay and wears outrageous makeup and clothes to school everyday, and no other boys have EVER acted homophobic towards him, at least to my knowledge, and if they did I think we would all know about it. Yet, this "grown up man" is engaging in this behavior?
__________________
juliaguliaxo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
let's see, so, in addition to the super bizarre crush that Andrew Shirvell has on the gay student president of the University of Michigan, yet another gay kid has killed himself this week:

Steve Rothaus' Gay South Florida

we don't know much about this one yet, but we can add him to the list of gay kids who have killed themselves this week: Tyler Clementi, Billy Lucas, Seth Walsh, and Asher Brown.

BlogPost - Suicides of gay teenagers: Four dead in three weeks

don't think for a second that the actions of Maggie Gallagher of NOM, the Pope, and every asshole on the playground don't contribute to these deaths. there is blood on your hands. every time you protest against the basic equality of gay people, you have blood on your hands. every time you try to cite whatever religious text to justify your discrimination, you have blood on your hands. every time you put forward and argument that argues that straight people are always and in all ways *better* than gay people, you have blood on your hands. every time you vote for an anti-gay politician, you have blood on your hands. every time you go to church and you listen to anti-gay sermons and never say a word, you have blood on your hands.

i am so done with all of this. i will tear you to pieces if you dare pretend that there's some sort of question as to the basic dignity and basic rights of all gay people every where. the very lives of gay teenagers hang in the balance. it does get better.

http://www.youtube.com/itgetsbetterp.../3/rLUBVN14diw

i was never bullied in high school. i was a busy kid with academics and athletics on my mind, and i had a good group of friends. but tonight, as i was walking to a restaurant tonight from a bar to a restaurant with a big group of gay guys, someone threw eggs at us.
I'm sorry that someone threw eggs at you and your friends. However suggesting that anyone who argues against gay marriage has blood on their hands is verging into the Orwellian thought crime territory.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 PM   #72
Loungeroom Dancing Queen
 
Purplereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: where I can Breathe . . . and it's Magnificent
Posts: 24,782
Local Time: 02:16 PM
I don't really have anything new to add as it has all been said, much more eloquently, in previous posts . . . I guess I just want to join you all in expressing my disgust, my sadness and my distress at the absolute inhumanity that has been shown towards a fellow human being ~ regardless of gender, sexual orientation, race, religious belief, whatever - no one deserves to be treated with such callous indifference and disrespect. . .

thoughts and prayers to all
__________________
'You might just as well say, that "I breathe when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breathe"!'
Purplereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I'm sorry that someone threw eggs at you and your friends. However suggesting that anyone who argues against gay marriage has blood on their hands is verging into the Orwellian thought crime territory.


so, yeah, i was a bit hammered last night when i posted all that, but i stand by every word (except for the grammatical errors) and, yes, someone did throw eggs at us.

gay kids kill themselves because they feel that their lives have no worth as gay people -- that no matter what they do or how hard they try, all their good qualities are negated because they are gay, and the reason they feel this way is because we live in a world where there are many committed activists dedicated to denying fairly basic civil rights to gay people.

it's not so much that gay kids kill themselves because they cannot get married, it's because they live in a world where many people froth at the mouth at the idea of gays acting as if they aren't second-class individuals who deserve to, at the least, hang their heads in shame.

yes, people who actively work to deny gay people basic civil rights like marriage have blood on their hands.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #74
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 12:16 AM
Irvine, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on seemingly "harmless" comments like "that's so gay" or "you're being gay" are.

For me, personally, I despise those comments. I find them offensive, derogatory, and hurtful, and I always make a point of telling people that I do not tolerate those comments in my presence.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:52 PM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,496
Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Irvine, I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on seemingly "harmless" comments like "that's so gay" or "you're being gay" are.

For me, personally, I despise those comments. I find them offensive, derogatory, and hurtful, and I always make a point of telling people that I do not tolerate those comments in my presence.


i think context is everything, as well as knowing your audience. it's entirely possible to call something "gay" and mean it in the ironic, knowing, i-mean-to-sound-like-an-angry-5th-grader kind of way, and not the circa-2000 Eminem kind of way, and people will interpret it in the correct manner. words are very rarely ever totally fixed, and language can and should be elastic and malleable and endlessly reborn into new meanings based on new contexts.

however, in general discourse with polite-and-mixed company, absolutely not. it's a great way to make yourself look like an asshole, akin to calling something or someone "retarded," or worse.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com