College freshman commits suicide after sex tape posted on internet by roommate - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
My hope is that while we're rethinking privacy due to social media, the exposure of cruelty will be so harshly criticized and punished, publically, that it will therefore perhaps, be diminished. Being an asshole will now stick to you for the rest of your life.

A new scarlet letter "A".
I don't think people who are that much of an asshole even care about that. If they thought about the consequences why would they even do it in the first place?
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #32
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 04:32 AM
This may not be a great analogy but think about drunk driving and consequences and how it has changed over time. Through social stigma as much as legal consequences really, you know, as opposed to the potential that someone may die.

In the last article you posted, someone said he's a good guy who made a bad decision. That gets said quite often about drunk drivers who kill people.
__________________

__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
In the last article you posted, someone said he's a good guy who made a bad decision. That gets said quite often about drunk drivers who kill people.
I guess that one doesn't quite work with me since I have zero tolerance for drunk driving.
__________________
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
This may not be a great analogy but think about drunk driving and consequences and how it has changed over time. Through social stigma as much as legal consequences really, you know, as opposed to the potential that someone may die.

In the last article you posted, someone said he's a good guy who made a bad decision. That gets said quite often about drunk drivers who kill people.
I know what you're getting at, but your post made me think of this. Not to defend drunk driving in any way, but often they do get home unscathed, and no one else is harmed along the way.

On the other hand, assuming that the young man actually did put the video on the internet, and I've seen no reason not to assume that, his actions were done expressly to hurt and embarrass. Right from the beginning, there was no potential for a positive or neutral outcome, and what his friends are saying now smacks of excusing someone who did a reprehensible thing. He didn't mean to violate him? Bullshit. This story sickens me, and it's about time one of these extreme internet bullies were made an example of.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 11:32 PM
The drunk driving laws have caught up to the problem (still not enough) just like the texting and cell phone while driving laws are starting to. The laws about bullying and cyber bullying haven't. Look what happened to that 40+ year old woman woman who pretended to be a teenage boy and cyber bullied that young girl on MySpace, the girl then killed herself-the only law they could use gave her basically a slap on the wrist. She still has to live with the guilt of course, assuming she has any or some.

Until there are some laws passed with serious consequences this will continue. Of course even with laws there will still be problems-you can't outlaw sociopathy or psychopathy.

I think it's completely pathetic that a college student would so anything like this-I guess they can't leave HS behind. Some adults can't either, especially when they have the internet to hide behind.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:36 PM   #36
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I guess that one doesn't quite work with me since I have zero tolerance for drunk driving.
I have zero tolerance for assholes so perhaps we're on the same page.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #37
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,661
Local Time: 12:32 AM
Is This Webcam Spying Victim Tyler Clementi's Last Call for Help?
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,974
Local Time: 11:32 PM
Nice comment. Yeah what's wrong with some good old fashioned lulz? No one cares, that's why there are no instances of beatings or killings of gay people just because they're gay. Toughen up guys. If you don't expect someone to commit suicide it's ok to do things like that. Screw human decency.

"If he really offed himself, that sucks.

That being said, I get doing stuff for the lulz - people need to toughen up. I don't see why the tag is "Cyberbullying", this kid was old enough to join the armed forces - and no one cares if people are gay anymore, especially at college.

Trying to blame people because someone ELSE went to an unnecessary extreme is morally vacuous. He didn't expect him to react like he did, and if he had known it, would likely not have done it.

We can't bubble wrap the world and stop living life just because some small fraction of the 6+ billion people on earth are going to make rash decisions. We have to keep evolving, and do the best we can, and try and get in a few laughs."


I agree with the comments about Gawker posting the picture and the info about the site he voluntarily participated on. I didn't even want to read the forum posts that might have been his, it just felt wrong considering
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,255
Local Time: 10:32 PM
Quote:
and no one cares if people are gay anymore
Wow, that's news to me. Certainly, homosexuality is becoming less and less of an issue, especially among younger generations, yes, and hooray for that, but unfortunately, there's still enough people out there yet who DO care. Like that pathetic excuse for an attorney general, for instance-it's really nice to know that Michigan's other problems have been taken care of, then, if he's able to devote his free time to picking on a college student. Moron. And then of course that mention of the 13 year old who committed suicide-13 years old. Seriously, what the fuck? How did we get to this type of insanity?

While I do agree that unfortunately, mean people are going to exist in this world and people sadly aren't always going to be able to shelter themselves from cruel words and such and will have to learn how to properly handle such situations, at the same time, that still doesn't excuse the horrific behavior of some people. If you say or do something cruel, expect that there will be consequences for your actions. There is absolutely no justifiable reason to treat people who've done nothing to you like dirt. There is absolutely no reason to make other people's lives miserable just for the hell of it. And of course there's the old "Well, they had a crappy life" argument, too, that gets used regarding bullies sometimes-yeah, my life ain't exactly coming up roses, either, but I don't go around hurting other people because of it. Grow up and act like a mature, intelligent, adult human being. It's not that hard to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I think it detaches and dehumanizes, and brings out those types of qualities in people who would have them regardless-in a way it emboldens them.
I think you're fully correct about this. It's amazing the changes people can make to themselves online, they can freakin' create an entire alternate universe.

Ultimately, again, proper social behavior lessons start at home. But if the parents have failed in teaching those lessons and the kids go on to grow up and be bullies, what is the best way to solve the problem/punish them in order to get the message across that we don't stand for this crap?

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:07 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
considering gay kids are 4x more likely to commit suicide than straight kids, and 9 out of 10 gay kids report being harassed, you don't think a modicum of sympathy is in order here?

homophobia continues to kill.
Those statistics are really depressing
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Makes me absolutely ill too-complete lack of caring for the feelings and rights of another human being. All of these social networks are just a new avenue for it. I have no interest in any of it and stories like this just reaffirm that. I think it detaches and dehumanizes, and brings out those types of qualities in people who would have them regardless-in a way it emboldens them.

Don't know how they're going to live with that for the rest of their lives
You need only look as far as the behavior of drivers to one another to see what happens when people interact in a slightly isolated environment.
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
As a society, we don’t stand for this nonsense when bullying is a race issue. Communities reach near-riot levels when a black kid is attacked by a white kid and vice versa.

We certainly wouldn’t let our kids lash out against kids with disabilities, either. How many parents do you know who take it lightly when their children make fun of people in wheelchairs or with Down syndrome? None.

So why, when the kid is gay, do we rationalize the violent behavior of the aggressor? And that’s giving the benefit of the doubt that it ever reaches the point where rationalization occurs. Most of the time, as we’ve heard in these recent suicide cases, the grown-ups involved all but closed their eyes and ears and turned their backs to the situations. Some role models, huh?

Yes, gay kids are different. It’s true, too, that most people don’t understand those differences. Still, that’s no reason to lack compassion and concern where they're involved.

Gay kids deserve to be protected from danger like any other kid. Why? Because in most respects they’re just like any other kid. They have hopes. They have dreams. They want to graduate high school and become somebody.

If only they could get there.

It’s time to wake up, America. Your kids are hurting. Your kids are crying. Your kids are dying.

And it’s all your fault.

Gay bullying is taking the lives of our children – and you’re to blame - CNN iReport

Great article that I recommend.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:32 AM
Quote:
If you don't support the statement rapper 50 Cent is making on his (very adult) Twitter feed (even if the "LOL" is meant to convey some kind of implied sarcasm), then you should not support his music, movies or brands.
Celebrities have platforms and can make a difference. By posting this to his 3.3 million-plus followers, he's not using that platform for good.

The Scoop - Is 50 Cent taking anti-gay stance on Twitter?

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 05:32 AM
I do think it is more about homophobia than online privacy. I just think it's much less likely he would have topped himself if it was a straight thing.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,274
Local Time: 10:32 PM
This story is awful. Social networking, which can be a very positive thing, used by this Dharun kid in a terribly negative way.

And there's something really chilling about a kid writing his suicide note on Facebook. Fuck. 20th Century, go to sleep.

This is really strange. Did anyone else read this?

If this actually is Clementi making these posts, man, that really doesn't read like the words or thoughts of someone about to take his own life.

We all post on a message board, obviously, so we all know that the tone of our posts doesn't necessarily come anywhere close to what we're actually feeling, can be misconstrued, etc.

But, still. I can't help thinking that something else had to have happened after these posts were made, and before he jumped off the bridge.
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com