College freshman commits suicide after sex tape posted on internet by roommate - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:48 PM
Anderson Cooper complaining about it has been more free publicity for that movie than the number of people who would ever go see it. I've seen the trailer several times now and I can't understand the context, it is so random and weird that they throw that phrase in there "electric cars are so gay". The rest of it is "not homosexual gay, but my-parents-are-chaperoning-the-dance gay." How is that even humorous? . It is a Vince Vaughn movie and no one will see it anyway..he used to be so hot in his Swingers period but I digress..Anyway, I don't get it.

I completely agree with the idea that the word "gay" should not be used in any context as any sort of insult or pejorative. But I just can't imagine that Ron Howard would deliberately do that. I think when you start picking on any sort of random instance like that that might not even be what it seems it could dilute the message. It's out of the context of the whole movie but it does still beg the question of why they would put that in the trailer.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #212
Blue Crack Addict

Old 10-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #213
Refugee

Local Time: 03:48 AM
I saw this on the news and thanks for sharing MrsSpringsteen.

It is beyond sad that children are killing themselves. I still don't understand where the mind of the bully is at. And actaully, at my almost 54 years. I am glad that I don't.

I mentioned this before. It is up to you (plural) what kind of love, karma, legacy or memories you want others to remember you by. I never bullied anyone. Kind of a quiet school girl, with a good sense of humor. I respected those who were different than me and learned quite a bit from them. I still do. It has made me a better person.

There were gay kids at my school. I never made fun of them. Some of them became my best friends. Looked out for me. Understood, when I had this huge crush on a very cute boy. They never made fun of me for being straight.

Time has come to stop judging. Look inside and see the person's soul. That's where real beauty exist.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #214
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
It is up to you (plural) what kind of love, karma, legacy or memories you want others to remember you by.
Exactly. Just follow the Golden Rule-"Do unto others as you would have done unto you". It's about the most simple concept that could possibly exist in this world. I don't see what is so difficult about following that idea.

MrsSpringsteen, thank you for sharing that video. That's really cool that Mr. Burns took the time to bring attention to this issue . His emotion throughout made it all the more powerful. What a heartwrenching story, he's a brave man for speaking about it in public. I hope he knows how many people he likely helped by doing so .

Upon seeing/hearing some of the responses to this problem throughout the country, I am filled with some hope-it's good to know there's so many caring people out there that still exist. Thanks to all of you for reaffirming my faith in humanity.

Angela
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #215
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Quote:
Laura Bush Says Adults Need To End Anti-Gay Bullying

Former first lady Laura Bush, who came out in
support of gay marriage and abortion after she
vacated the White House, split again with some social
conservatives to back anti-bullying measures
intended to protect gay teens.

"Bullying of every kind, certainly gay teens, but any
children is really terrible," Bush said in an interview
Tuesday for the Yahoo Newsmakers series at the
Women's Conference 2010 in California.

"We've read cases of children on the Internet where
kids are committing suicide. It's really terrible. As
adults, we have to be the ones who do something
about it," Bush said in reference to a spate of recent
suicides by gay teens, including Rutgers University
freshman Tyler Clementi, who jumped off a bridge
after his roommate surreptitiously broadcast a private
sexual encounter on the Internet.

Bush said she was proud of openly gay Fort Worth
Councilman Joel Burns, who was one of the first
public officials to share a story of being bullied as a
teenager and tell young people "it will get better."

Since then, celebrities and politicians, including
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President
Obama, have videotaped messages of hope directed at
gay teens, as part of an online campaign called It Gets
Better.

In May, more than a year after leaving the White
House with President George W. Bush, the first lady
admitted publicly that she and her husband "disagree"
on many social issues, including abortion and same-
sex marriage.

Despite her newfound willingness to diverge from her
husband, Bush was careful with her words when
talking about Republicans, including former Alaska
Gov. Sarah Palin.

"Sarah Palin is Sarah Palin," Bush said in response to a
question about how the one-time GOP vice
presidential candidate has reshaped the way women
run for office. "That's her style. It's obviously been
effective. There are a lot of people who watch her and
want her support."

Bush said she did not know whether Palin, who has
recently visited Iowa and publicly endorsed a slate of
candidates from across the country, would run for
president in 2012.

"[Palin's] out there," Bush said. "She's speaking
everywhere, but I don't know if that's because she
wants to run. I have no idea."

Laura Bush Dishes on Husband

After leaving Washington, the Bushes moved to Texas,
where they both wrote memoirs. Laura Bush's book,
"Spoken from the Heart," came out in May. Her
husband's memoir debuts next month.

President Bush, she said, "makes the coffee every
morning like he used to before the eight years we had
a butler make the coffee."

He has become a fan of the iPad, she said, and one
game in particular.

"Scrabble is the one that George now seems to be
playing constantly," she said. "Like, I'm trying to get
his attention; 'I'm still here.'
Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #216
War Child

Local Time: 11:48 PM
^According to the first paragraph in that article- Does that mean social conservatives would not lift a finger to stop the bullying of gay people?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #217
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:48 AM
I think the reference is to social conservative groups which have been campaigning against the Student Non-Discrimination Act currently pending in Congress (which would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in schools receiving federal funds). Focus on the Family, Alliance Defense Fund, Parents Action League, various state-level Tea Party factions and Focus on the Family affiliates, etc. Their argument is that such legislation would have the effect of promoting 'the homosexual lifestyle' in schools.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #218
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Exactly. Just follow the Golden Rule-"Do unto others as you would have done unto you". It's about the most simple concept that could possibly exist in this world. I don't see what is so difficult about following that idea.

MrsSpringsteen, thank you for sharing that video. That's really cool that Mr. Burns took the time to bring attention to this issue . His emotion throughout made it all the more powerful. What a heartwrenching story, he's a brave man for speaking about it in public. I hope he knows how many people he likely helped by doing so .

Upon seeing/hearing some of the responses to this problem throughout the country, I am filled with some hope-it's good to know there's so many caring people out there that still exist. Thanks to all of you for reaffirming my faith in humanity.

Angela

I think so to. I made me cry watching Joel. He is a very compassionate man. We need more like him in this world.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #219
Blue Crack Addict

USA Today-Oct 28

A small Arkansas town is in an uproar over whether a school board member should continue to serve after posting anti-gay comments on his Facebook page.

Clint McCance, member of the Midland School Board, last week posted comments in response to a request that students wear purple in support of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth who might be considering suicide, KATV reports.

His post, which has since been removed but was captured byThe Advocate website read:

Seriously they want me to wear purple because five queers killed themselves. The only way im wearin it for them is if they all commit suicide. I cant believe the people of this world have gotten this stupid. We are honoring the face that they sinned and killed thereselves because of their sin. REALLY PEOPLE."

On Wednesday, state education Commissioner Tom Kimbrell said McCance's "divisiveness" causes him to "seriously question" whether McCance can remain as an effective member of the Midland school board.

Dean Stanley, superintendent of the Midland School District, says McCance was acting as a private citizen and that district officials, staff and faculty "do not support or condone" the remarks.

The Arkansas Times reports that 35 demonstrators calling for McCance's resignation turned out at Midland High School today along with 10 counter-protesters, police and state troopers.

McCance has kept a low profile, but did tell Max Brantley, editor of the Arkansas Times, that the matter had been "blown out of proportion" and that it gave rise to concern for him about his own family, two young daughters.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #220
Blue Crack Distributor

On the one hand, what a fuckwad.

On the other hand, sometimes it's nice that Facebook and Twitter lets fuckwads out themselves as fuckwads because they're too dumb to realize that stuff you put on the internet is out there for the world to see, one way or the other.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #221
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
On the one hand, what a fuckwad.

On the other hand, sometimes it's nice that Facebook and Twitter lets fuckwads out themselves as fuckwads because they're too dumb to realize that stuff you put on the internet is out there for the world to see, one way or the other.
Yes that is true. Let these f-wads expose themselves for exactly who they are. Bullying on the internet is something my generation didn't experience. It saddens me as to how cruel someone can be to another.

If you wanted to call someone cruel names. You had to do it face to face. Then some back alley justice would prevail.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM   #222
She's the One

Sometimes they said it to their faces in Arkansas.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 PM   #223
Blue Crack Addict

Arkansas school board member to resign over anti-gay post - CNN.com

Quote:
McCance said that he has received an outpouring of criticism over his comments, including "thousands of phone calls, hate mails, people threatening to kill my family and me."

He said he has sent his wife and two kids out of the state because of fears for their safety and that he is installing a security system at his home.

"I'm reaping what I've sown," he told CNN. "I've had a lot of hate speech thrown at me and my family on every level."
Old 10-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #224
Blue Crack Distributor

It's disheartening to see people resort to threatening violence*, but I'm glad he's resigning.

*maybe he's making it up to try and gain sympathy. He's already outed himself as a hateful jerk, so I wouldn't put it past him to do something else assholish.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #225
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 09:48 PM
Yeah, the death threats against him and his family (???? They had nothing to do with his stupid comments) are dumb-you're not helping the situation, people, cool it.

But yes, he was a complete and utter moron for saying such things. 1, you're a member of the SCHOOL BOARD. I'd kinda like to know my kids aren't going to a school that's being overseen by people who say crap like that. 2., it's a damn heartless thing to say no matter what, plain and simple. You're supposed to be an adult with a working brain. Grow up and use it, mmkay?

Angela