Climate Change - A big fuss About Nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadForIt

Refugee
1. Most people are concerned about other things such as their health, will Man Utd win on the weekend and will they still have a job next month

2. Nothing wrong in picking your kids up from school in the car

3. Its cold in the UK, a bit of warmth would be great

4. Sticking up the prices of flights is wrong. It means normal people cant enjoy cheap foreign holidays and only the rich can enjoy such adventures.

5. Bring it on! Chances are we wont be around when the shit hits the fan

6. If REAL action needs to be taken it has to be driven by the Government. IF i was told i HAD to drive a hydrogen powered car then i would - you have got to stop people having the choice between petrol and the alternatives.

7. These green taxes dont go on green ventures. They go straight to Gordon Shitface to hand to the unemployed chavs and propping up the banks

I don't know if this is the right thread
or if the 'Iceland' or 'Ireland' thread would be better

but I was listening to an interview on Pacifica radio last night
and the guest speaker was making a case that Britain very well could turn into a failed state or let's say collapse (financially) just like Iceland

finance guy, any thoughts ???

1. Most people are concerned about other things such as their health, will Man Utd win on the weekend and will they still have a job next month

2. Nothing wrong in picking your kids up from school in the car

4. Sticking up the prices of flights is wrong. It means normal people cant enjoy cheap foreign holidays and only the rich can enjoy such adventures.

5. Bring it on! Chances are we wont be around when the shit hits the fan

6. If REAL action needs to be taken it has to be driven by the Government. IF i was told i HAD to drive a hydrogen powered car then i would - you have got to stop people having the choice between petrol and the alternatives.

7. These green taxes dont go on green ventures. They go straight to Gordon Shitface to hand to the unemployed chavs and propping up the banks

How insightful...

Some of these are flat out wrong.

Others just back up your self proclaimed "selfish twit" mentality.

:D

haha these past two weeks, the temperature has been at 30 degrees at its highest, and -40 at its lowest (farenheit) :mad:

obviosuly some of his arguments aren't really based on fact, I think he was trying to be funny. Although I believe we are going through climate change, I don't believe man has had a great impact on it. (I hate the term global warming, it's not really warming up much :wink:)

Humans have had an impact ofcourse
The industrial revolution sent loads of carbon monoxide into the atmosphere

India and China are doing the same now - but there are natural releases of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, such as when volcanoes erupt there is so much stored in the rock

BUT still - in terms of everyday life, other issues take priority - i dont have a car as i can walk everywhere where I am. But when i finish uni if i need a car and can afford it i will get one.

I think governments will blow the whole think out of proportion so that they can squeeze more money out of taxpayers

BUT still - in terms of everyday life, other issues take priority - i dont have a car as i can walk everywhere where I am. But when i finish uni if i need a car and can afford it i will get one.
But who said it has to be either/ or?

I think governments will blow the whole think out of proportion so that they can squeeze more money out of taxpayers
AND

A little contradictory don't you think?

Well in the UK they are about to tax people who have old cars as they omit more emissions

what about people who can only afford the old cars?

If the gov said here we will tax the 4x4 owners etc and we will try and build the new hydrogen car for you all then fair enough

but i dont see that happening

Well in the UK they are about to tax people who have old cars as they omit more emissions

what about people who can only afford the old cars?

If the gov said here we will tax the 4x4 owners etc and we will try and build the new hydrogen car for you all then fair enough

but i dont see that happening

The government here in the UK is taxing cars according to a sliding scale. So you'll be paying more if you have a 4x4 and less if you don't.

Otherwise - take the bus :shrug: I have to do it. You have to do what you have to do, my friend!

my family does not have a 4x4 and i know they are applying that tax strategy to the bigger cars which is fair enough as people must have some cash to own those cars in the first place

The trains here are rediculous
prices went up 7% in JAN - i use them a fair bit and sunday service adds 2 hours to any journey you make

People will continue to use cars as the public transport is expensive and unreliable

my family does not have a 4x4 and i know they are applying that tax strategy to the bigger cars which is fair enough as people must have some cash to own those cars in the first place

The trains here are rediculous
prices went up 7% in JAN - i use them a fair bit and sunday service adds 2 hours to any journey you make

People will continue to use cars as the public transport is expensive and unreliable

I agree, public transport over here is a joke. That is the issue. I'm not going to go and deny climate change because the trains are never on time!

Ehm, you're a couple of decades late with that observation Iron Horse. Climate Change has pretty much always been the correct term in academic circles.

Have you noticed that during the past few weeks the term 'Global Warming' is being replaced by 'Climate Change'?

Because "warming" is a misnomer-some areas will suffer a decrease in temp, more snow, etc.-more erratic temps and extreme weather. Where I live we have had a very cold and snowy winter, as bad if not worse than last winter. So maybe climate change is a more accurate term.

It's hard to believe, but the OP may have been topped by the insinuation that climate change is a phrase that is merely a few weeks old.

Ehm, you're a couple of decades late with that observation Iron Horse. Climate Change has pretty much always been the correct term in academic circles.

Doesn't the iron horse live the midwest US? We're always twenty years later than everyone else here. :lol:

He referred to something "here in South Carolina" not long ago so I assume that's where he lives.

That's OK, all but a few narrow zones of the US are usually 20 years behind on stuff like this anyway. :wink:

So do you believe the planet is just going through a cycle and that everything we do to this earth has no impact?

The earth has been around since long before humans or any life form came around. And before we even came to this planet it had already gone through an ice age. Did we cause that shit? No, we did not.

Have you noticed that during the past few weeks the term 'Global Warming' is being replaced by 'Climate Change'?

It's too bad you hardly participate in threads, other than the occasional drive by post, I think you would benefit quite a bit... for example you would know what you posted above to be completely false.

The earth has been around since long before humans or any life form came around. And before we even came to this planet it had already gone through an ice age. Did we cause that shit? No, we did not.

Yes, thanks for the history lesson... But if you noticed I asked a question, I didn't make a statement.

Do you think we have no impact on the planet?

Well lets face it

most of us here on interference will be ok

It the usual people in Africa and Asia who will suffer

He referred to something "here in South Carolina" not long ago so I assume that's where he lives.

That's OK, all but a few narrow zones of the US are usually 20 years behind on stuff like this anyway. :wink:

Oops! Must have missed that!

I remember when there was a cold war joke that was something along the lines of "well if the Soviets nuke the US we'll be fine here -- we're twenty years behind everywhere else!" I always got a kick out of that because it's so true! :D

Back
Top Bottom