Climate Change - A big fuss About Nothing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I try and avoid all those appeals on Africa as YES those images are disturbing

I just block it out

Avoid thinking about it

I'm not saying its a good thing if they were to suffer

but rather them than me

I suspect this attitude is the basis for much climate change "scepticism". There would be a lot more support for combating climate change if it required people to drive and consume more.

I'm not saying its a good thing if they were to suffer

but rather them than me

It's safe to say you won't be winning any humanitarian awards or even recognized as a decent human being any times soon, but you might be up for a position in the religion of self...

It's safe to say you won't be winning any humanitarian awards or even recognized as a decent human being any times soon, but you might be up for a position in the religion of self...

I think the vast majority of people, if they are truly honest, do think "I'm so glad it's not me" when hardships hit others. MadForIt's way of phrasing it was more crass than most are willing to be (in public at least) but we all have a pretty damned large amount of me me me! within us.

I think the vast majority of people, if they are truly honest, do think "I'm so glad it's not me" when hardships hit others. MadForIt's way of phrasing it was more crass than most are willing to be (in public at least) but we all have a pretty damned large amount of me me me! within us.

I agree but he strong celebrates it. I'm not basing this solely on this post(I'll just keep it at that)...

I think the vast majority of people, if they are truly honest, do think "I'm so glad it's not me" when hardships hit others.

I agree, though it should be noted that is not a "rather them dead, than me" situation, in which such an attitude would be understandable. In his own example, it's a case of "rather they lose their land, environment and access to clean drinking water, than me having to take public transport" which makes his attitude absolutely deplorable.

Wow, talk about idiotic posts...

7. These green taxes dont go on green ventures. They go straight to Gordon Shitface to hand to the unemployed chavs and propping up the banks

Since it looks like you'll be joining them soon enough, I would think you would appreciate this...

This one is my favorite though:

5. Bring it on! Chances are we wont be around when the shit hits the fan

Classy and well thought out, bravo :applaud:

I agree, though it should be noted that is not a "rather them dead, than me" situation, in which such an attitude would be understandable. In his own example, it's a case of "rather they lose their land, environment and access to clean drinking water, than me having to take public transport" which makes his attitude absolutely deplorable.

I believe we all think that even if we won't admit it. How many of us have cell phones and ipods and tvs and stereo systems and pcs and laptops and go on road trips or take flights to see concerts and buy loads of other shit we want but don't need? How many of us travel a lot -- either for business or for pleasure? But then we can say "but I take public transport" or "well, I recycle all my bottles and cans" or "I replaced most of my incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents" and feel we are doing our part to save the world. While every little bit helps, I suspect MadForIt's waste and that of any of the rest of us in this thread isn't all that different.

He (I'm assuming MFI is a guy) certainly is not at all tactful, but I'll bet his lifestyle (in regards to consumption of resources) does not differ significantly from anyone else's in this thread.

I think you slightly misunderstood what i was on about

I dont mind taking public trasport or accepting other measures which dont involve me having to spend more money. If a good venture is supported and adopted by the gov i will go along with it as long as i dont have to pay loads of tax

But yes - i'd rather others suffer than having to go through massive hardship myself

as BONO says, "And tonight thank god its them instead of you"

Thats is 100% true

Any if i had the money i would travel all around the world to see U2 and Other bands as it would be an amazing thing to do. The cost to the environment would not be a factor to me

I recycle as i have to. The bin collections are every 2 weeks so without recycling it would be packed out.

To go back to the first point. People put their own pleasures like going on holiday and travelling miles to see U2 before thinking about the environment. It's a natural thing to do. People are selfish.

For example if you had a hospital appointment and it was raining, if you had a car you would use it rather than wait for a bus. People go for the EASY option. I certainly do. Why make things hard for yourself? It's like those people who buy fairtrade goods which are more expensive. Why? It make no diffrence if 1 person buys a fairtrade chocolate. I'll stick to Cadbury's.

I think i just say what many others think.

Wow, talk about idiotic posts...

Since it looks like you'll be joining them soon enough, I would think you would appreciate this...

This one is my favorite though:

Classy and well thought out, bravo :applaud:

Being on Interference is quite an informal environment, i would not use such language in a formal situation.

I am not a chav. Chavs are the underclass. I have every intention of working, thats why I have spent a lot of money doing a Masters degree, which i cant really stand, but to get a decent job its a requirement in my field.

How else can i afford to see U2 without earning a decent wage?

You really think Bono is celebrating the "me" mentality in this line?

No way
Not at all - he is saying that we are so lucky to be where we are and dont have to face the crap they do - and that we should remember that and perhaps offer a helping hand to those in need

But it does bring home the truth - MANY people think about 'me'

There is nothing wrong in that

RE: global warming.

As an Environmental Science student I came to a realisation this week.

While we may be able to cope with the flooding that global warming will cause, we CANNOT deal with the drastic increase in DNA mutation (read: cancer) and crop failiure due to the amount of UV radiation getting though the thinning Ozone layer. Not to mention a load of other shitty concequences.

Kinda shit really.

It doesn't rain in Melbourne anymore.....

Fair dinkum, nothing. I remember as a kid growing up in the 90's it used to rain heaps, always had to be kept inside at school cause it was raining.

This month we haven't had a drop. While it is the heart of summer, at least we used to have storms back then, a sudden downpour to fill up the dams. We don't have that anymore.

Today it is 43 degrees, yesterday it was 41, tomorrow is expected to hit 40, and the same on Saturday.

I don't recall heatwaves like this. In Adelaide, they've got like over 7 consecutive days of 40+, yesterday it was 46 over there. Unimaginable.

he (i'm assuming mfi is a guy) certainly is not at all tactful, but i'll bet his lifestyle (in regards to consumption of resources) does not differ significantly from anyone else's in this thread.

qft.

3. Its cold in the UK, a bit of warmth would be great

Global warming can cause changes in atmosphere circulation regime. That will make England enjoy the same climate you can find in Siberia for example, they're both approx. the same latitude. The only reason you don't have -50 Celsius degrees winters in England today is the golf stream (bringing hot air from golf of Mexico area).

It doesn't rain in Melbourne anymore.....

Fair dinkum, nothing. I remember as a kid growing up in the 90's it used to rain heaps, always had to be kept inside at school cause it was raining.

This month we haven't had a drop. While it is the heart of summer, at least we used to have storms back then, a sudden downpour to fill up the dams. We don't have that anymore.

Today it is 43 degrees, yesterday it was 41, tomorrow is expected to hit 40, and the same on Saturday.

I don't recall heatwaves like this. In Adelaide, they've got like over 7 consecutive days of 40+, yesterday it was 46 over there. Unimaginable.

just out of curiosity, how humid is it in Melbourne?

Back
Top Bottom