Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Climate change

Where is this graph going next?

Climate scientists say 2008 will be coolest year of the decade | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Looks like a peak to me.

How do you short global warming hysteria stocks?

Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:56 AM
2015 is only 10 years after An Inconvenient Truth when the world goes to a point of no return and that's also the date when Malaria will be defeated according to Bono.

You win some and you lose some.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:56 AM
Brrrrr.

Feck, I'm cold.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Don't worry they will move the deadline just like Cultists who overstep the end of the world dates and have to create new ones.

Nostradamus would be proud.

Global warming: Delayed! Tad Cronn

People talking about Cheney Haliburton, and prison investment. I wonder what benefits Al Gore will get with his green busine$$e$.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:56 PM
I strongly agree that the green movement embraces irrational fear, it has some of the trappings of religion (the guilt, carbon-credit indulgences and millennialism). I don't feel guilty about enjoying a high living standard which demands energy, I do think there are environmental consequences that ought be studied so we can minimise our impact on the world.

The Earths climate system is not static, it is very dynamic, it can operate in hothouse states and we have evidence that climate change is impacting the biosphere. The exact causes, feedbacks and outcomes of this change are not properly pinned down. There must be more research.

It would be heartening if the greenies could take a page from the economist Bjorn Lomborg, and do a cost-benefit on their policies; the money thrown away on carbon trading schemes (which ultimately fail at cutting emissions) could possibly (its an open question) deliver better outcomes with nuclear technology.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:56 AM
No climate change? Where have the honey bees and birds gone? I don't see them anymore.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

They're cold.

They're lying low in doors getting warm w hot cider.

<>
Old 12-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I haven't seen them in years. No more flocks of migratory birds - used to see them all the time as a kid.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
No climate change? Where have the honey bees and birds gone? I don't see them anymore.
Honey bees are being attacked by parasites. BTW climate change can be natural. The scientists don't know how much is man made vs. water vapour vs. Solar fluctuations. We shouldn't be pouring money into projects and bureaucrats until the science gets better. I'm pretty sure if the sun starts changing there is really little we can do about it.

I believe the environment has to be balanced with economics to be truely viable. If the new energy sources are less efficient than oil then you get in a situation that shows that we must reduce our standard of living to reduce C02. When Al Gore lives it up and most of the proponents of man made climate change live it up it sends the wrong signal. It makes it even more ironic since the left adopts these ideas but also worries about the poor in our countries and in Africa. The more we have to pay for energy the less our standard of living will be. People don't want our standard of living to stay the same or go lower. They want it to increase.

Nuclear power is the cheapest of the green technologies and it's still more expensive than oil. Wind turbines and solar power can help but are not enough to make us energy independent.

This guy wants to find a way to recycle C02 biologically. I have no idea if it is viable anytime soon but if it is this will most likely be a better option. The scale is probably the problem.

YouTube - Craig Venter: On the verge of creating synthetic life

I think environmentalists should be focussed on clean water and clean air instead of taking a basic element of photosynthesis and treating it like a poison. In the mean time we need better technologies than nuclear power to increase our standard of living with less energy expenditure. I don't see oil being replaced in my lifetime.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:56 AM
The Green movement did become some kind of religion. Yet scientific evidence supporting the anthropogenic climate change theory remains fairly strong.

But let's assume for a second that climate change does not have anthropogenic causes, that it is entirely natural. The debate on climate change has led to research and policy promoting energy conservation, energy efficiency, and alternative energy sources/carriers (which will eventually be needed, as fossil fuel sources are depleted). In other words, this whole debate has forced us to try to make better use of energy. Building cogeneration power plants rather than conventional power plants. Making more fuel-efficient systems. Developing solar, wind, geothermal energy technologies. Doing more with what we have.

We would have eventually explored these techniques, but at a slower pace.

Even if the causes of climate change have been misinterpreted, our actions are definitely not useless.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
When Al Gore lives it up and most of the proponents of man made climate change live it up it sends the wrong signal. It makes it even more ironic since the left adopts these ideas but also worries about the poor in our countries and in Africa. The more we have to pay for energy the less our standard of living will be. People don't want our standard of living to stay the same or go lower. They want it to increase.
Al Gore's house now has a solar roof, after local zoning laws were changed - more zoning laws need to change in this country. The oil industry has enjoyed tax breaks and subsidies, and wind/solar should be entitled to the same, which will help offset the cost.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Looks like a peak to me.
Coulda said the same thing in 1940, and look where we are today.

Let's hope it keeps going down. There are too many people in the world as it is, and it'll only get worse if a bunch of occupied land ends up underwater.

FWIW, there's little difference between global warming doomsayers and global warming naysayers. Since global warming has been turned into a political issue, people just line up on their respective side of the fence and cherry-pick issues that support their pre-chosen beliefs.

The fact that belief in global warming is almost 100% determined by political affiliation sort of proves that there's no critical thinking going on.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
I think environmentalists should be focussed on clean water and clean air instead of taking a basic element of photosynthesis and treating it like a poison.
a large percentage of carbon emissions are byproducts of burning fossil fuels, which also emit a host of other pollutants. nitrogen oxide and sulfur dioxide, among others. so just out of curiosity, how do you see focusing on a reduction of carbon emissions as being a separate issue from "clean air?" is it the framing of the issue that bothers you? if people campaigned around clean air instead of climate change would that make a difference to you?

also, i think it's a bit disingenuous to say that anthropogenic co2 emissions are a basic element of photosynthesis. the united states pumped out 5.89 billion metric tons of energy related co2 in 2006. combined with other industrialized nations, that creates a massive amount of co2 that is unnecessary for the continuation of photosynthesis.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post

They might be disoriented with a few million cell phone microwaves constantly being crashed through the sky.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 PM   #15
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydewaze View Post
The fact that belief in global warming is almost 100% determined by political affiliation sort of proves that there's no critical thinking going on.
Yup.