Christchurch, NZ 6.3 earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
posting during a break at work. cant catch up atm. tragic to see the cathedral spire gone.

work at the call centre has been very dead with the cell networks all so overloaded. never seen it so dead at peak times.

all the best to those affected.

Where do Ian and Katie live? I'm assuming in Auckland, but I hope they're okay.
yeah, we're in auckland, luckily we're pretty far away from christchurch so we didn't get hit at all by it, so we're fine. thanks for thinking of us! :)

i never know what to really say in situations like this, i feel anything i say sounds so stupid. this is so tragic, my thoughts are with those affected by this.

Still so rattled by this. Most of my Cantabrian family are accounted for, but god ... seeing the Cathedral, the Press building, Cashel Mall, etc. in ruins is just staggering. One of my cousins was driving a bus in New Brighton when the quake hit and said that it was basically just tossed off the road. I'm devastated that the Provincial Chambers are now a pile of rubble ... of New Zealand's ten former provinces, it is (or was) one of just two surviving provincial buildings. But what matters really are people. God I hope the death toll doesn't go up any further but it sounds so grim.

Almost no news has come out of Lyttelton yet, which was the epicentre. The few snippets are worrying and disturbing. It's an important suburb and the major deepwater port for Christchurch and the upper South Island ... if the port is significantly damaged, the economic impacts will be felt for months on end.

I have friends in Governors Bay and they walked round to Lyttelton, they estimate 80% of its in rubble. Navy apparently going door to door checking on everyone.

Was a fair old shake even down here in Dunedin.

So sad to hear about this. The pictures coming out thus far sure do suggest a pretty devastating level of damage, and as Axver said, hard to imagine the death toll won't climb considerably as search operations progress. I hope the news from all the New Zealanders in here about the safety of themselves, their families and their friends continues to be good.

I have friends in Governors Bay and they walked round to Lyttelton, they estimate 80% of its in rubble. Navy apparently going door to door checking on everyone.

Christ, that's depressing.

Was a fair old shake even down here in Dunedin.

Yeah, my father in Wellington felt it pretty distinctly too.

I'm very relieved his business travels via Christchurch were last week rather than today! His mate there for business today had a very fortuitous escape ... he was meant to be in the city but changed plans at the last minute and went to Waipara for the day.

Very sad. Christchurch and the area are so pretty (and friendly).

My wife and I actually were discussing when we can get back there when it happened.

I could only watch a few seconds of that video posted. My heart ached to see people so upset and devastated.

Like Khanada, I never know how to express my emotions in these cases without sounding cliched or insincere. I'll just say that my heart truly aches for the Christchurch area & all those who've lost loved ones in the quake. I'm elated that none of our NZ Interferencers appear to have been harmed. :hug:

Stay safe tonight.... :heart:

What the fuck is happening with the world? Huge blizzards in the US, floods and bushfires here, earthquakes in NZ, god knows what else going on that I don't hear about in Asia, Europe, Africa...

I'm glad everyone here and their families who live in that area are all right :hug:.

This makes me so sad. A friend of mine has been to Christchurch many times and has always sent me photos from there, it seems like an amazingly beautiful city. New Zealand has always been one of my dream countries to visit someday, it's awful to see part of it in such ruin :(.

My condolences to all those who lost loved ones in this. And my heart goes out to everybody who lost livelihoods.

Angela

0vZbD.jpg

This whole ordeal has really affected me, some of the stories I've read nearly brought me to tears. Just looking at pictures, Christchurch really does seem so close to Adelaide, it feels like part of this city has suffered. The CTV situation is unbelievable, it would be amazing if there are survivors.

This whole ordeal has really affected me, some of the stories I've read nearly brought me to tears. Just looking at pictures, Christchurch really does seem so close to Adelaide, it feels like part of this city has suffered. The CTV situation is unbelievable, it would be amazing if there are survivors.

I almost feel like I've already been to Adelaide because I'm familiar with Christchurch.

i can't help but think of Haiti as well... to think they are still recovering and may never recover (and to think what would have happened had the quake been of that magnitude)

Back
Top Bottom