Children's Lemonade Stands Being Shut Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
CORALVILLE, Iowa (AP) — Police closed down a lemonade stand in Coralville last week, telling its 4-year-old operator and her dad that she didn't have a permit.
An officer told Abigail Krutsinger's father Friday that she couldn't run the stand as RAGBRAI bicyclers poured into Coralville.
A city ordinance says food vendors must apply for a permit and get a health inspection.
Abigail's dad, Dustin Krutsinger, said the ordinance and its enforcers are going too far if they force a 4-year-old to abandon her lemonade stand.

Girl's lemonade stand shut down - Omaha.com

McAllen, TX -- Gone are the days when a kid could make a few extra bucks by selling lemonade on the corner of their street. These days, it's against the law.
A 12-year-old girl and her little brother were just trying to earn a few dollars for their two hermit crabs when a city code enforcement officer in Texas came and shut them down.
The officer told their grandmother that the children needed a permit to sell lemonade, and their grandmother was ticketed for the offense.
"I was mad," the 12-year-old said. "I don't understand why someone would want to do that to two kids and their grandma."
City officials said that unless you have a health permit, it's illegal to give out food and drink to the public. All salespeople must have a license.
It will now be up to a judge to decide if the children's grandmother will have to pay the $50 fine.

Lemonade stand shut down by officers in Texas - www.ktnv.com

This is ridiculous! I feel really sorry for these kids because I once did a lemonade stand when I was a kid and no one shut it down or fined my parents. At the same time, no one got sick from my lemonade.

What is the real reason behind alll this? Is it really all about health permits? Because it sounds to me like the law is taking away something quite innocent as a kid looking to make a few cents and prove to themselves that they can do whatever they put their minds too.

I went to a few garage sales this summer that were selling hotdogs and what not, which is normal. The difference this year was that they had permits from the health department which made me go :huh:.

I'm not pointing the finger at Obama, Sean. I'd like to point the finger at whoever came up with the idea to demand health permits from lemonade or hot dog stands owned by families or children. Its insane to me.

I'm not pointing the finger at Obama, Sean. I'd like to point the finger at whoever came up with the idea to demand health permits from lemonade or hot dog stands owned by families or children. Its insane to me.

Oh, I know. I was being facetious. Indeed, I expect that sooner or later some right-winger will put this at the presidents doorstep with a straight face.

OK I guess I can see shutting them down for a major event where all the other vendors are legit, but just a lemonade stand in front of someone's house? That seems a little far. At our previous house there were kids on the corner who basically had a permanent lemonade stand anytime they weren't in school. Given the neighborhood, I was all for it, kept them out of trouble!

Lemonade stands have been technically illegal for a long time, police and health officials have had discretion in enforcing permit laws just as long. There are more people these days who'll whine to the authorities about the 'nuisance,' 'obstruction,' 'sanitation concerns' etc. rather than directly taking up any legit issues they might have with the neighbors running the stand; it's not just the police, though they can certainly sometimes be overzealous too.

(ETA--most kids' lemonade stands today suck anyway. The last few times I patronized one, I was paying almost a dollar for some lousy packaged mix stirred into water. :barf: :down: )

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom