Chicago May Get "Gay Friendly" High School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They were celebrating the right to be who they are in school without the fear of harassment, bullying, violence. Taxpayer dollars fund schools too, and I don't want my money supporting any of that committed against gay kids in public schools.

If "MassResistance" is your source well they are most definitely biased. It makes me lmao to see that Romney had that commission, but not really. It's actually pathetic to look back on his little 'transformation".

Depravity? I've seen some of those Pride events and you can see far more "depravity" in that city on a daily basis. Homelessness, that's depravity.

It's a sad situation that we're forced to re-introduce segregation in the 21st century because of the ignorance and bigotry of some people. As MrsSpringsteen said, these bigots are the ones that need to change and just like with the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, if people don't change their hearts and minds, laws need to change that force their hatred and prejudice out of society.

Well said!

I am a parent of two grown children and neither of them were raised to be bullies. From the time they could walk, both learned to respect others. Their dad and I would have never tolerated bullying in any form. Ugly words such as "faggot" and "******" were forbidden in our home.

It starts long before the school days. Parents need to teach their children about human dignity. Sexual orientation is not a choice. Gay children are worthy of the same love, honor and respect as heterosexual children.

I guess I don't care either way. I'm not gay so I can't pretend to know what it feels like to always be judged that way or think I know what's best. I honestly can't think of an effective way to address the bullying either. The types of bullying that I think are the most damaging aren't really the things that teachers and administrators can do anything about. It's not getting into fist fights in the halls, but saying things behind peoples' backs, leaving notes in lockers or on MySpace, mob situations where everyone turns against another person and that person is secluded...nasty things kids do to each other that don't break any real rules other than common decency. If these kids want a school without all of that getting in the way of their academics, sports, and social life then I'm all for it. One of the things I always think about from my psychology class is that time and again we see that in order to change people's attitudes you really have to change how things are done. We want it to be the other way around - change people's attitudes and how people are treated will change - but it just doesn't work that way. So maybe if they have this school and have a good example of how a friendly, inclusive, safe school should run, people will start to catch on and change their minds...

Although it might be persuasive I don't like the "not a choice" argument very much, I feel that it implies that choosing to have sex with a member of the same sex is wrong.

The sex lives of consenting parties are their own damn business and the state has no role intruding or discriminating, even if it is a choice.

Back
Top Bottom