Chernobyl in Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:shh: It's in april actually. the 26th or 28th if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for the link, that's really interesting.

Sounds so weird there's an actual tour there now. :huh: While the nuclear plant still isn't safe.

Oh man, I get cold chills down my back watching these pics. It reminds me of the documentary I've seen on the whole thing, it was really really frightening.

The amusement park pics and the school ones.. oh damn.

And I think the worst is yet to come...

I believe (incorrectly) today is the 23rd anniversary of the Chrenobyl disaster. I came across this posting and was really surprised at how affected I was by the pictures. I found them both fascinating and morbid. You really get a sense of dread looking through them. Be sure to read the captions as it puts many of the photos in perspective

GRcade.com • View topic - BLH's tour of Chernobyl. Hello Digg/Reddit/world!!

*edited for stupidity (thanks galeongirl :) ) Serves me right for not checking facts i randomly read on the interwebs

It reminds me of the documentary I've seen on the whole thing, it was really really frightening.

Do you remember the name of the documentary? I dont mean to be excessively morbid, but I find it really interesting

Do you remember the name of the documentary? I dont mean to be excessively morbid, but I find it really interesting

I'll try to remember, I'm afraid it's been over a year. It was on an English channel, either BBC or Discovery. I think it had subtitles so should be Discovery.

:hmm: Yes that jogs my memory. And it was in april, hence I remember the date. Fairly sure now it's the 26th.

I'll see what I can find.

http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/zerohour/series1/chernobyl/index.shtml
I think that was it.

Zoomerang, thanks for posting that. I know what I'll be watching tonight. And Galeongirl, thanks for tracking that other one down. I'm gonna check it out too

According to Wikipedia the disaster happened on April 26th, 1986.

I read a book a few years ago called Voices From Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in this event.

Those pictures were incredible, thanks for posting.

I've become really interested in Chernobyl lately, so this thread had perfect timing :up:

You can find another set of photos here:

abandonedplaces: Ukraine, Pripyat. 2009

I would love to visit Pripyat someday, but I wouldn't get as close to the freaking reactor :yikes: Looking at the photos really makes me think though. I mean, I know it's incredibly unlikely that any disaster like that will ever happen anywhere in the world again, but if it WERE to happen, my city is a candidate for it. The only uranium enrichment plant (oh hai, we make nuclear energy!) in the U.S. is right outside my city. When I see the Pripyat pictures, I just imagine my own city becoming like that :|

Chernobyl was more of an indictment against communism than nuclear power, I think it would be cool to live in a city that isn't powered by coal.

Chernobyl looks like Silent Hill...its terrifying. Even the paint is peeling off the walls. :sad:

Such a terrible thing. :( But its still got that morbid attraction to it. Thanks for sharing pics. :up:

Back
Top Bottom