Central Africa is Hell on Earth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AEON

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If the UN doesn't step it up in Central Africa, and quick - then there is precious little hope for the region. This is a horrible story.

I am sick to my stomach and struggling to hold back rage...

Worse Than Rape

It's truly discusting and horribly sad. The only way for this to ever be fixed is education, the majority of Americans have no clue as to what's happening. We won't get anything done through the UN with Bolton in there, sad but true.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
It's truly discusting and horribly sad. The only way for this to ever be fixed is education, the majority of Americans have no clue as to what's happening. We won't get anything done through the UN with Bolton in there, sad but true.

I agree. I feel like these women have no "champions" over here. Nobody to protest for them. Nobody to talk on "Meet the Press" for them.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

We would get things done period with the Bolton in there or not. The UN is a farce that should be dismantled because it is such a big failure. I wonder if they will pull another Rawanda?

Yes the UN is filled with curruption but it has accomplished many things. But my point is that as an American, a supposed more civilized nation we should be setting some kind of an example and placing Bolton in there is a mistake of huge proportions!!!

:(

Yeah...there simply aren't any words adequate to address this kind of sadism, and it's utterly unfathomable that it's become so widespread.

I actually just finished teaching a unit on DR Congo in my Comparative Government class, and several students made comments to the effect that they found it difficult to think constructively about what they were reading because they were so shocked by the brutality of the atrocities involved. Four million people have died in the fighting so far--it is the most deadly conflict in the world since WWII.

Here is the website for the UN's mission there. They just extended their mandate (which is currently disarmament-focused) once again, to February 2007. Currently there are just under 18,500 UN personnel there, roughly 16,600 of them troops. This is well below the numbers Kofi Annan has repeatedly sought--the last several times he asked the Security Council for more, they were only able to russle up about half of what he wanted. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have been the heroes in this drive so far, contributing more than half of the total personnel. The US has not contributed any troops to the effort. About a hundred UN personnel have died in the fighting thus far.

As with many other African conflicts, the modern roots of this one can be traced to colonial policies (themselves backed by deplorably brutal violence) which bred ethnic tension by favoring some groups over others for land rights and political representation, followed by criminally opportunistic Cold War meddling which furthered already-endemic corruption and violence. Spillover from the Rwandan genocide is a more recent, and also very potent, contributor--not only has the presence of more than a million refugees (many of them militants) logistically complicated matters, but on top of that the Tutsi-Hutu divide driving that abysmal conflict has "transfered" itself to exisiting divides between Congolese groups like the Lendu and Hema, who identify with one side or another in the Rwandan conflict. More than half the militia fighters are child soldiers (18 and under). Graft and corruption associated with the coltan, gold and diamond mining industries in the area further fuels the fire by funding weapons procurement.

One would like to think that the relative lack of connection between the situation in DR Congo and other major international conflicts would make it a magnet for international cooperation and collaboration to address the horrific consequences but, unfortunately, thus far that hasn't happened.

There's a whole world of dark psychological issues concerning how and why women and girls so often become the prime targets of attempts to "symbolically" dominate and humiliate the various parties to the conflict in situations like this to be discussed, too. But that can't be effectively addressed beyond what people like the medics described in the article are already doing until more progress is made in ending the conflict itself. But this is a paradigmatically diffuse and battlefront-less conflict, and ending it will take years more no matter what we do--which, at present, is nowhere near enough.

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, AEON.

Last edited:
wow. :sad:

I have a friend who grew up in Africa because her parents are doctors there and her dad specializes in fistulas. That's really the only reason I knew about them before this article.

yolland said:
:(
Currently there are just under 18,500 UN personnel there, roughly 16,600 of them troops. This is well below the numbers Kofi Annan has repeatedly sought--the last several times he asked the Security Council for more, they were only able to russle up about half of what he wanted. India, Pakistan and Bangladesh have been the heroes in this drive so far, contributing more than half of the total personnel. The US has not contributed any troops to the effort. About a hundred UN personnel have died in the fighting thus far.

The US definitely needs to be more involved. So does Europe. As fellow human beings we simply cannot allow this sort of atrocity to go on.

These poor women probably have done everything in their power to avoid this conflict and protect their children. Please pray for them...

Some people just don't care as much because it's happening to women- that's harsh but I believe it is true. And it's happening to African women.

And there are no alleged WMD's in the Congo as far as I know

I don't know what to say.
My first reaction is all who commit such horrible crimes should be shot on sight - and they probably should be...but by WHO???
The UN is as useless an organization as there ever was - the US military industrial complex doesn't give a shit (unfortunately, because if they did they could really be the HEROES). I just don't know. Makes you wonder though - what led to this??? Is anyone responsible or is this just another manifestation of evil as was Rwanda??? Or was Rwanda a "manifestation of evil" or something else. I just don't know. Horrible shit.

I thought it was important that the article state multiple times that these should be considered acts of terrorism.

The conflict is happening to everybody in eastern Congo, men, women, and children--more than 7% of the country's entire population have died in the fighting and their census data, which shows a sex distibution lopsided in favor of women, doesn't support the conclusion that men are overall less affected by the conflict. And the killing methods often used are shockingly brutal (hacking with machetes, flaying to death and so forth) as are the many other forms of torture widely employed besides rape. Obviously this isn't of comfort if you're a female survivor left permanently infertile and incontinent because of injuries sustained by rape, but the international community's ineffectual response to the conflict in general can't really be plausibly attributed to some specific indifference to how it affects women. Sub-Saharan African conflicts, period (Darfur, Rwanda, Sierra Leone etc.), tend to draw comparatively little international attention regardless of who suffers from them and how--that's just a fact.

Mass rape is classified as a war crime, a form of torture, and a crime against humanity by the Geneva Convention, the Nuremberg Charter and the International Criminal Court--the IC Tribunals for Yugoslavia and Rwanda have further prosecuted it as a form of genocide. It's not for want of international law recognition that the link between violent conflict and mass rape persists, though rape is considerably harder and more time-consuming to investigate and document than most war crimes, which is one major obstacle to prosecuting it effectively. The frequent disinclination of local officials involved in war crimes investigations to treat rape on a par with other crimes, despite what international protocols call for, is another major problem.

But if anything, I think articles like this, which raise international awareness of the effects of otherwise widely ignored conflicts on women (how often do you read about DR Congo in Newsweek?--yet this conflict is in its eighth year now, and has killed over 4 million people), are among the best ways to focus the rest of the world on what's happening, and further international convictions that more needs to be done. It certainly had that effect in the case of Bosnia. It's harder to succumb to cynical and hopeless "Why can't those people stop killing each other and just get along!"-type thinking when confronted with evidence of mass violence against the most inarguably innocent of victims.

Last edited:
yolland said:

But if anything, I think articles like this, which raise international awareness of the effects of otherwise widely ignored conflicts on women (how often do you read about DR Congo in Newsweek?--yet this conflict is in its eighth year now, and has killed over 4 million people), are among the best ways to focus the rest of the world on what's happening, and further international convictions that more needs to be done. It certainly had that effect in the case of Bosnia. It's harder to succumb to cynical and hopeless "Why can't those people stop killing each other and just get along!"-type thinking when confronted with evidence of mass violence against the most inarguably innocent of victims.

I completely agree. As you said earlier - education is the key.

I will definitely be bringing this up to my church.

yolland said:
T
But if anything, I think articles like this, which raise international awareness of the effects of otherwise widely ignored conflicts on women (how often do you read about DR Congo in Newsweek?--yet this conflict is in its eighth year now, and has killed over 4 million people), are among the best ways to focus the rest of the world on what's happening, and further international convictions that more needs to be done. It certainly had that effect in the case of Bosnia.

What the former YU republics all did (I believe Croatia was the first, Bosnia followed)is to hire American PR firms, mostly out of NYC (yes, no joke) in order to "package" their suffering to the American consumer. That is when you started seeing more of the human interest articles and so on being published in the MSM in the US. It really is a sad social statement.

AEON said:
I will definitely be bringing this up to my church.
:up:

Our synagogue has been working in partnership with a local Catholic Church on this issue, using some of the lobbying and other resources available through Catholic Relief Services. A colleague of mine who's a Lutheran pastor told me that Lutheran World Relief also has such a project, though I don't personally know anything about that one. And the US Holocaust Memorial Museum has resources especially developed for education about this situation, which you might want to take a look at.
anitram said:
It really is a sad social statement.
I completely agree, but it really is true that seeing the news stories about the mass rapes had a major effect on galvanizing public support for intervention here.

Geez.
I couldn't finish the article, my stomach went sour.

I thought that Sudan was bad enough, I mean this is absolutely horrible.

I'm sick and nauseated over this.

I don't know why we don't do more, this reminds me of Rwanda in 1994 and the USA sitting on their hands doing absolutely nothing.

When will the madness end?

dbs

Last edited:
yolland said:

:up:

Our synagogue has been working in partnership with a local Catholic Church on this issue, using some of the lobbying and other resources available through Catholic Relief Services. A colleague of mine who's a Lutheran pastor told me that Lutheran World Relief also has such a project, though I don't personally know anything about that one. And the US Holocaust Memorial Museum has resources especially developed for education about this situation, which you might want to take a look at.

Thank you Yolland. I will certainly check these out.

I always find it interesting what piques the attention of Westerners when it comes to Africa. Dictatorships gets no attention. Starvation isn't enough. Millions of dead aren't enough. Genocide might get you to read a headline. But rape seems to get people to read a whole article. And AIDS gets lots of philanthropic donations, only, I suspect, out of a selfish fear that they'll infect us.

I write this not to be offensive or to downplay people's outrage here--you have every right to be--but just to make a commentary that Africa has been a mess for decades. Why haven't we been as committed to building Africa's economy and stability as we have been in eradicating terrorism? Ultimately, as I implied before, because our intentions are rarely altruistic and always selfish, even in the guise of charity ("charity" can be a selfish act, because one can be more interested in "feeling good about oneself" than actual charity). Ayn Rand may be a rather contemptible woman, but I find that her very base outlook on the selfishness of humanity to be spot on.

What will it take for the West to take a personal "selfish" investment into the well-being of Africa, just as we currently have in Iraq?

Last edited:
You make good points Melon.
The needy will ALWAYS be among us, what we do about it is where the test really lies.

dbs

Justin24 said:
We would get things done period with the Bolton in there or not. The UN is a farce that should be dismantled because it is such a big failure. I wonder if they will pull another Rawanda?

The UN is only the sum of its parts. Dismantling the UN will not solve the fact that its member nations--the U.S. included--have never been serious about improving Africa.

Ormus said:
I always find it interesting what piques the attention of Westerners when it comes to Africa. Dictatorships gets no attention. Starvation isn't enough. Millions of dead aren't enough. Genocide might get you to read a headline. But rape seems to get people to read a whole article. And AIDS gets lots of philanthropic donations, only, I suspect, out of a selfish fear that they'll infect us.

I write this not to be offensive or to downplay people's outrage here--you have every right to be--but just to make a commentary that Africa has been a mess for decades. Why haven't we been as committed to building Africa's economy and stability as we have been in eradicating terrorism? Ultimately, as I implied before, because our intentions are rarely altruistic and always selfish, even in the guise of charity ("charity" can be a selfish act, because one can be more interested in "feeling good about oneself" than actual charity). Ayn Rand may be a rather contemptible woman, but I find that her very base outlook on the selfishness of humanity to be spot on.

What will it take for the West to take a personal "selfish" investment into the well-being of Africa, just as we currently have in Iraq?

Is it really worth kicking at the darkness here? Whatever the motivation, if it galvanizes action, I say do it.

Ormus said:

I think 12 month old babies getting raped and women being practically "ripped" apart just to make a political statement might be enough to get this planet's attention. If it isn't…well…this world is far darker than I thought.

nathan1977 said:
Is it really worth kicking at the darkness here? Whatever the motivation, if it galvanizes action, I say do it.

But then it ends up coming back to the same old, same old with Africa: throwing money at a problem while the outrage is still fresh in the mind, and then forgetting about it all over again.

Yes, I question the motivation, because such outrage is always fleeting.

Ironically, I tend to come across as more of a conservative when it comes to issues like Africa. I've been cautiously optimistic since Paul Wolfowitz was nominated to the World Bank, because he's known to be very energetic when it comes to the subject of Africa, and I'd certainly agree that the old policies of merely throwing money at a problem is the wrong approach. We have to look at the issue of corrupt regimes and have a comprehensive approach to improving Africa's standard of living, because, otherwise, we're just throwing our money away.

We have the dreamers and idealists. We just need the action, and someone to keep that action fiscally responsible and accountable.

AEON said:
I think 12 month old babies getting raped and women being practically "ripped" apart just to make a political statement might be enough to get this planet's attention. If it isn't…well…this world is far darker than I thought.

I'm sure it will get enough attention to last to the next newspaper article, sad to say. It is very easy to dehumanize and forget about "the Other."

Back
Top Bottom