Catholic Priest Beheaded in Syria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't view the video. Didn't need to. I already know that the human race is a sick specie.

But I am wondering why this story upsets you in particular. I hope the stories of women being gang raped by soldiers right in front of their husbands, children being raped and tortured by soldiers and all the other sick atrocities going on in Syria are as upsetting to you as the story of this priest. Please do not think I am shrugging off this priest's brutal death, because I am not. I am only asking because a lot of disgusting, heinous acts are going on in Syria now, and I feel they deserve the same coverage and empathy.

I didn't view the video. Didn't need to. I already know that the human race is a sick specie.

But I am wondering why this story upsets you in particular. I hope the stories of women being gang raped by soldiers right in front of their husbands, children being raped and tortured by soldiers and all the other sick atrocities going on in Syria are as upsetting to you as the story of this priest. Please do not think I am shrugging off this priest's brutal death, because I am not. I am only asking because a lot of disgusting, heinous acts are going on in Syria now, and I feel they deserve the same coverage and empathy.

Yes, there are many atrocities there. This is the most recent one I've read. I guess the main problem is that there really doesn't seem to be a side to support. This means that ultimately the people of Syria will "lose" no matter which group "wins".

The thing that's always remarkable to me is how many people were okay with - even excited by - this behaviour. There were what, at least 50 people there with their cell phones out? Savages

I get it though. Had this been an American being beheaded, there would be a lot of coverage. It's not surprising that someone is more affected by an atrocity inflicted upon someone they feel a bit of kinship for. Had it been a Canadian, I'm sure I would've felt it hit a bit closer to home, even if only on a subconscious level. It's only human. But you're right, technically, it doesn't mean any more or less than the thousands of other atrocities committed

Are these the same rebels that the US and co. support?

The cannibals? Warms your heart, doesn't it?

I didn't watch the video as it sounds absolutely revolting.

I think that we have no idea what's really going on in Syria and I think history has shown us (the west, I mean) that getting involved in situations that we don't understand often ends up in us either picking the wrong side or picking the "better" of two evils. As much as I feel for the civilians there, I am loathe to suggest that we should be involved.

I get it though. Had this been an American being beheaded, there would be a lot of coverage. It's not surprising that someone is more affected by an atrocity inflicted upon someone they feel a bit of kinship for. Had it been a Canadian, I'm sure I would've felt it hit a bit closer to home, even if only on a subconscious level. It's only human. But you're right, technically, it doesn't mean any more or less than the thousands of other atrocities committed

Yeah, I admit to that gut wrenching feeling when I read the thread title. But I almost immediately thought back to when I posted in that Syria thread we had a while ago. I was posting about the gang rapes in Syria that are almost as bad as those in the Congo. Maybe as a woman, I felt kinship with the women in Syria. But hey, there's a lot of horrors going on in that country - and the world, or at least America, seems to be forgetting about it.

The thing that's always remarkable to me is how many people were okay with - even excited by - this behaviour. There were what, at least 50 people there with their cell phones out? Savages

Agreed - it saddens me to see the children there cheering. Yet another generation trapped in hatred. I could not watch the entire video, but I did want to see who was in the crowd.

I have to wonder how can someone be so motivated as to cut off a man's head with a small knife? That is a very personal, very bloody way to execute someone. You have to have some very deep hatred (or fear) to pull off something like that.

The cannibals? Warms your heart, doesn't it?

The saddening thing about this civil war is that there's no side to support that aren't aligned with 1) delusional dictators or 2) religious extremists.

From my point of view it's even more saddening, yet less surprising that there's no noticeable workers' movement up and about.

There really seems to be no sign of a bright future in sight.

Back
Top Bottom