Car Bomb In Times Square

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, this is scary. Times Square is always packed with people. I always try to avoid walking through there. Glad no one was hurt.

He insisted on the double classification because the main charge that was built in the steel locker was designed to be enhanced by the gasoline and the propane.

yea but no, you've probably got more insight than that guy. it woulda been fine. just a few flesh wounds!

i mean maybe some of you don't realize exactly how busy that area is with pedestrian traffic at that time of day. but an explosion of that "small" magnitude would have effected a large number of people. like i said... there were easily a couple hundred people within 10 feet of that car... as there always is in times square.

a bomb that brings down a building is not neccesary to cause incredible damage in such a high traffic pedestrian area.

I hadn't read about the "main charge" inside the car. That changes things a little, not much though. I had only read about gasoline, propane and M-80s.

I am familiar with explosives as a part of my work, though I don't work with explosives. I have plenty of good insight that I won't get into here. Nor will I go deeper into explosives and bomb construction.

The guy is sensationalizing it to a degree. Regardless, I stand by what I said about the death toll not being very high. I didn't speculate on burns and injuries, nor did I say it wouldn't cause panic and terror and be horrible, obviously it would have been.

I was on an uptown bus on 6th Ave/ in the 40's a while after it happened and nothing "seemed" amiss from that vantage point.

Then b/c i stayed up ate, turned on the news radio just to check the weather, i got the middle-end of the Mayor's statement (since he had t flight back sooner from the Press dinner in DC).
I didn't even realize at that point that he was live . It was disturbing enough to hear about it as what I thot was a repeat of an earlier realtime event!

i just say a prayer once or twice a day that any new attempts will be thwarted in time and go about my doings, unless on a very rare occasion feeling "spooked" by some previous thing i might skirt/avoid an area.

Extremist anti-government groups could try a car bomb like this, I don't think the magnitude is of the threat is equal.

looks like feds may have found their suspect. 30 year old US/paki who was boarding a plane to Dubai.

right wing anti-government wacko's attack government related things. the government is their enemy. that entire "oh maybe it's the tea party!" thing was just a load of crap. an explosion meant to take out massive civilian casualties with zero effect on anything related to the government does not fit the M.O. of fringe right wing militia groups at all.

a link to militant islam was obvious from the start based soley on the location and the intent of the weapon it's self.

this entire thing is also just another reason why you can't trust a damned thing the media says. all morning on the local news radio's they were reporting that they caught this guy "just in the 'nick of time!"

no, they didn't. they were following the guy for a day. they let him on the plane to see if he made any contact with others on the plane, and wanted to make him feel comfortable. that plane was never taking off.

the release of the wacky white guy with male patter baldness who decided to take his shirt off and look no where near where the bomb actually was was probably part of this plan... a way to make the dude feel comfortable so that he may lead them to any possible other conspirators.

Supposedly he was read Miranda only after he was questioned, under the public safety exception. He was eventually read his Miranda rights but they say he continued to talk and cooperate.

I really think this has been handled in a very competent and successful way by both the local NY agencies and the Federal agencies.

I will wait for all the info but I'm curious about the plane and if he was actually placed on the no fly list at any time before he boarded. He did board the plane.

I don't know if we will ever know
or if the information we get will be accurate. (or if it should be)

were they tracking him? trying to catch any one else that was working with him?

even if the plane got air born, I do believe Dubai would have been waiting for him, we do have good cooperation with them.

it does seem if he took a cab straight to the airport from times square and boarded a plane then, he would have got out of the country

but then, the Pakastanis would have probably scooped him up, too.

I think the information should be accurate in order to defend the President against allegations that are most likely coming. Then again it wouldn't matter anyway, because the allegations/accusations would still come. I think we have a right to know, as much as we can in light of national security and all that.

I think the fact that the Miranda information was released so quickly might show that they are trying to avoid certain accusations

Headache had it right, I saw the press conference with Holder.
They let him get on the plane.

They had been watching him since Sunday night.

Also, the Miranda thing was totally legal, AFAIK.

i'm still going to go with holder's original story that they purposely let him on the plane to see if he would make contact with anyone and that plane was never going to take off... but some government types now are even saying that they didn't mean to let him on the plane, which would be just a near fuck up of epic proportions.

let's see where all the info leads to first.

and it turns out that after he left the SUV he walked a few blocks over to grand central and hopped on a metro north train back to CT... which, of course, if the bomb had actually gone off, the train probably wouldn't have ever made it to bridgeport for security reasons.

not to mention that he left the keys to his house and his other car in the pathfinder... so either this guy is a complete dumb dumb, or he had another plan that got all screwed up once the bomb didn't actually go off.

my guys did their jobs perfectly and caught the bastard and took his ass right off the plane! :applaud:

and no, he didnt "almost get away", as reported by faux news.

i'm still going to go with holder's original story that they purposely let him on the plane to see if he would make contact with anyone and that plane was never going to take off... but some government types now are even saying that they didn't mean to let him on the plane, which would be just a near fuck up of epic proportions.

Yeah, I noticed this too...who knows, man?

I'd like to think they didn't let him slip until the last moment (after already ID'ing him).

my guys did their jobs perfectly and caught the bastard and took his ass right off the plane! :applaud:

and no, he didnt "almost get away", as reported by faux news.

actually it's being reported by actuall government officials, including ray kelly himself acknowledging that perps slipping surveillance is not uncommon when asked about if this guy did, actually, get away for a little bit.

the customs agents at the airport figured it out before the plane left the gate, pulled him off the plane... then the plane left the gate, and they figured they should pull two other people off because of names that also looked similar to those on the no fly list... the plane returned to the gate and they pulled those two, then decided to deboard the plane just to be safe. the other two were eventually released.

Back
Top Bottom