Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 AM
The bits and pieces I have been able to read on the internet

this does not add up as a real terrorist attack

I could come up with 3-4, maybe five possible theories here

but the reasonable thing to do, is just wait 2-3 days for this to play out.

I am hopeful that we get close to an honest reporting on this.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
has a

Local Time: 01:06 PM
I don't want to get too conspiratorial, but if it was a trial run, they would have been smart and had a patsy set it up and do it given the obvious amount of possible evidence--physical and visual/witnesses.

I hope it is nothing more than a poorly-plotted, failed attempt.

And yes, absolutely, kudos to the people that reported it and to the NYPD.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:06 PM
Why bother setting up a trial run? Not only is it so risky to begin with that you might as well go through with the real thing, but after a trial, its only going to put the city on high alert making it even tougher to pull off a second time. They had the car and the bomb in place; theres no reason to not make that the real thing
Old 05-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #19
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Why bother setting up a trial run? Not only is it so risky to begin with that you might as well go through with the real thing, but after a trial, its only going to put the city on high alert making it even tougher to pull off a second time. They had the car and the bomb in place; theres no reason to not make that the real thing
Oh, I know.

But, why not put a little more effort into it and make sure it works?

Even if it had worked, it wasn't going to bring down a building. A lot of fire, maybe a dozen deaths and a lot of panic is all that it seems it might have accomplished. It isn't adding up to me for some reason. Trial run might not be the fully accurate term, maybe a test of someone's commitment/loyalty? I don't know.

I really hope it's just some dumb zealots who get caught.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
its only going to put the city on high alert
Perhaps this was the intended result.

A brazen demonstration that it can be done - perhaps by people who don't want to kill anyone but have a vested interest in keeping people afraid and authorities on alert.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #21
45:33

Local Time: 06:06 AM
this was on page three of our paper today... any developments?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:04 AM   #22
The Fly

I was six blocks away from this at the time. I went to a Yankee game earlier that day and at 6:30pm had to meet my group on 51st and 7th to get on the coach bus to head back. NYPD did a great job of not causing a panic, I had no clue that anything was even going on despite being so close.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #23
45:33

Local Time: 06:06 AM
OPRAH WAS NEARBY! HAD IT BEEN REAL, AND OPRAH KILLED, WHAT WOULD THE WORLD HAVE DONE?!?!?!

clf!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:16 AM   #24
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I could come up with 3-4, maybe five possible theories here

but the reasonable thing to do, is just wait 2-3 days for this to play out.

I am hopeful that we get close to an honest reporting on this.
how can we expect to get honest reporting when our own congressman is on every network possible tossing out this south park retaliation theory?

patience is a virtue that we do not have in this country anymore.

even this guy who took his shirt off...

Surveillance Video Before Times Square Bomb Attempt - ABC News

... the on the scene reporter in this video pretty much convicts the guy of being the bomber. "a white man in his 40's who sent thousands into a panic on saturday night."

maybe he is the guy who did it, and maybe he was a guy coming off work and heading out to a bar and decided to take his work shirt off. maybe he just got out of the subway and realized "hey, it's pretty hot out, maybe i should take off my long sleeve shirt." or maybe he said "hey, i should change my shirt in case someone saw me leave that large bomb there on the corner."

nobody really knows. the police have never said that he's a suspect... it's just something that caught their eye and they want to make sure they explore every possible avenue.

one has to assume, with all the cameras there, that the FBI and NYPD actually have video of someone getting out of the SUV. it wouldn't be unreasonable to believe that they released this video of this guy to make the people who they know did it feel a little more comfortable before they launch their sting.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
some rumors that the parking space was adjacent to the Viacom building -- Viacom, of course, owns Comedy Central which shows South Park.

Times Square car bomb: police investigate South Park link - Telegraph
I hadn't heard that, interesting

Or it could just be some angry random non terrorist guy who's just looking for attention
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

some things don't add up here.

if that's the guy, and that's the SUV, then that's not shubert alley. that's 45th street, and the dude walked past the SUV.

how does that make him a suspect?

and if that isn't 45th street, then he's not looking back towards the SUV whatsoever, 'cause the SUV would be around the corner to his right, completely out of his sight.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The bits and pieces I have been able to read on the internet

this does not add up as a real terrorist attack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
some things don't add up here.

this does not add up
is our common denominator

that guy, stops in the middle of the side walk, all by himself, to try and not be noticed?

and the South Park thing is just plain stupid. Are the two writers, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, even in that building?

and at most if the bomb was successful it would have only been a small fire ball and only harmed (perhaps killed) people adjacent to it.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

it appears whoever did it used the wrong kind of fertilzer...

but that said, even if the explosion had been succesful and the fire ball reached, say, 10 to 15 feet away from the SUV, with shrapnel going another 5 to 10 feet beyond that... this is times square on a saturday evening.

i mean just look at all the people...

even a "small fire ball" could have created a terrible situation. hundreds of people were within 25 feet of that car.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #29
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
it appears whoever did it used the wrong kind of fertilzer...

but that said, even if the explosion had been succesful and the fire ball reached, say, 10 to 15 feet away from the SUV, with shrapnel going another 5 to 10 feet beyond that... this is times square on a saturday evening.

i mean just look at all the people...

even a "small fire ball" could have created a terrible situation. hundreds of people were within 25 feet of that car.
That's the difference between a fire ball and a concussive bomb blast.
From the way they're described the materials, there was no way that car was going to be shredded to pieces. A true diesel/fertilizer bomb would have taken that car apart and done damage to close structures and obviously killed a number of people. The worst possible scenario of the materials that were used would have been a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion). But, it wasn't rigged properly. I don't believe the deaths would have been very high.

This is so bizarre because it was so amateurish. I really, really hope it was just a deranged person. I don't think an organized terrorist group would have done such a poor job--I mean that purely clinically, I certainly don't wish for anyone's harm or admire anyone's handiwork.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
That's the difference between a fire ball and a concussive bomb blast.
From the way they're described the materials, there was no way that car was going to be shredded to pieces. A true diesel/fertilizer bomb would have taken that car apart and done damage to close structures and obviously killed a number of people. The worst possible scenario of the materials that were used would have been a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion). But, it wasn't rigged properly. I don't believe the deaths would have been very high.

This is so bizarre because it was so amateurish. I really, really hope it was just a deranged person. I don't think an organized terrorist group would have done such a poor job--I mean that purely clinically, I certainly don't wish for anyone's harm or admire anyone's handiwork.

Bomb expert: 'A millisecond' from disaster in Times Square
Originally published: May 3, 2010 12:14 PM
Updated: May 3, 2010 3:37 PM
By PERVAIZ SHALLWANI. Special to Newsday

New York City came within "a millisecond" of "several hundred casualties" Saturday night, when explosives packed into a Nissan Pathfinder left parked in Times Square failed to detonate, an international bomb expert said Monday.

"Had that detonation functioned correctly, we would have seen a huge explosion," said Kevin Barry, chairman of the board of advisers of the 5,000-member International Association of Bomb Technicians and Investigators.

Barry was asked how close the city was to disaster, as he stood near the intersection of Seventh Avenue and 45th Street - the place where the SUV was parked.

"We came within a millisecond," said Barry, a former supervisor with the NYPD bomb squad.

Had the device gone off, Barry said, a 50-yard radius of Times Square would have been singed with a "huge thermal ball" rising 30 to 40 feet blowing out windows of buildings, but not strong enough to bring down any surrounding buildings.

That chilling assessment came as New York police announced they have interviewed the owner of the Pathfinder, which was found packed with propane containers, gasoline and fertilizer after a street vendor noticed it smoking at about 6:30 p.m. Saturday and promptly notified a mounted police officer. That officer, Wayne Rhatigan of Holbrook, quickly summoned NYPD emergency personnel and the area was ordered locked down.

On Monday, police declined to say if the interview with the owner of the Nissan had advanced their investigation.

NYPD Sgt. Steve Rodriguez said police are still searching for the man caught on video changing his shirt near the Pathfinder. A video shot by a Pennsylvania tourist is "of no significance to this investigation," he said. The tourist video does not show the man changing his shirt, he said.

Barry, who retired as first grade detective from the NYPD bomb squad in 2002, called the explosive an "improvised incendiary explosive device."

He insisted on the double classification because the main charge that was built in the steel locker was designed to be enhanced by the gasoline and the propane.

"That was going to be used to destroy the evidence of the car," Barry said. "It's an inferno machine and it was created to cause death and havoc. That's the basic line in this."

The city hasn't seen this kind of potential threat since the 1970s when "18 to 20 terrorist groups were operating in New York City."

The inferno would have lasted only "a few seconds" as the fuel would quickly be burned up, but the level of catastrophe, just from the propane tanks alone, "had they exploded in this intersection, would have cause several hundred casualties," mostly from burns and fragmentations, in some cases burning people's throat.

"The problem with a thermal ball like that, when it encapsulates people as it goes out, people inhale it and then we get lung damage and burns, and you get thermal burns of the skin, face, hair. So this would have been a real horrific scene."

There is no certainty from what has been learned so far how long the suspect was building the bomb, but Barry said all the supplies used were bought "over-the-counter, all readily available in this area."

"It may not have been sophisticated. It worked. It did function, but it didn't function as he designed it. The main charge did not go off. That was a critical mistake for him. We have to get him before he goes back and builds one and fixes his mistake."

The key component to the bomb is the detonator, which is hard to come by because of strict laws in the states, Barry said.

"You just can't get them. So he built one, probably from a manual. When he built it, his construction was faulty. It went off. It deflagrated rather than detonated. It burned rapidly at high speed."

yea but no, you've probably got more insight than that guy. it woulda been fine. just a few flesh wounds!

i mean maybe some of you don't realize exactly how busy that area is with pedestrian traffic at that time of day. but an explosion of that "small" magnitude would have effected a large number of people. like i said... there were easily a couple hundred people within 10 feet of that car... as there always is in times square.

a bomb that brings down a building is not neccesary to cause incredible damage in such a high traffic pedestrian area.