Capitalism:A Love Story - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Capitalism:A Love Story

Michael Moore's new movie is out nationwide next week. I caught some of Larry King last night and they showed some scenes from the movie. He puts crime scene tape up around banks and his usual cutesy antics like that..

Michael Moore: Capitalism has proven it's failed - CNN.com

YouTube - Capitalism: A Love Story Official Trailer HD

Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
War Child

It must be working out okay for his favorite restaurants. Hopefully the film pulls in plenty of cash though.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
Refugee

I refuse to watch anything with michael moore in it.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:02 PM
[raised quizzical eyebrow] So, an anti-Capitalism movie from the same guy that just made a pro-universal healthcare movie.
Good thing for us that no one in Washington DC, like say those behind the current healthcare reform push, shares that same duality of philosophy. Because that might "fundamentally change our country" or "remake America" or something.

Anyway, since the movie is free (it is free right? because Hollywood is making record profits this year. Hey, hey, ho ho, Big Popcorn has to go), I might just go see it. Besides, the congressman in the clip is my representative... for one more year anyway.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
I refuse to watch anything with michael moore in it.
Way to keep that mind open
Old 09-28-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Way to keep that mind open
I lied actually, Ive seen bits of Bowling For Columbine and Farenheit 9/11, and I watched him on the Colbert Report But after just listening to him say "Capitolism is evil," I will not be watching this one.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
But after just listening to him say "Capitolism is evil," I will not be watching this one.
Have you really heard him say that, or are you paraphrasing?
Old 09-28-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Have you really heard him say that, or are you paraphrasing?
Yes, he literally said that on The Colbert Report.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:02 PM
He actually does say that in the film, according to a review I read:

Quote:
Here, as in Sicko, what Michael Moore is really talking about is the collapse of the social contract. That’s a powerful theme, but why did he have to make a movie in which the villain is nothing less than…capitalism itself? He insists on painting the very concept of American free enterprise as inherently unjust. But even if you believe, as many responsible pundits do, that de-regulation in the ’80s went too far, that markets do need to be managed, and that unchecked capitalism is a voracious beast that can consume a culture alive…even if you agree with all that, you may have a hard time swallowing the grand finale of Capitalism: A Love Story, in which Moore trashes our system as “evil” and pushes for nothing less than a citizens’ “revolt,” which he seems to believe (naively) the election of Barack Obama was the first stage of. At its best, Capitalism: A Love Story is a searing and eloquent outcry against the excesses of a cutthroat time. At its worst, it’s dorm-room Marxism — a power-to-the-people bumper sticker that willfully leaves out the people’s own responsibility for the country we all share. Moore almost seems to have forgotten that the politicians he so castigates are the ones that Americans voted for.
Toronto: Why Michael Moore's 'Capitalism: A Love Story' is powerful — and frustrating | EW.com

Michael Moore has been getting progressively worse with each film. His best was Roger & Me. Not watching this one, not even for free.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

This is the quote that I've read:

Quote:
Capitalism is an evil, and you cannot regulate evil. You have to eliminate it and replace it with something that is good for all people and that something is democracy.
Which to me is a little different than just saying "Capitalism is evil" and leaving it at that...

I've never been a huge fan of Michael Moore but I do like his sense of humour every once in awhile, and the way he uses it to make a point.

Quote:
Essentially we have a law which says gambling is illegal but we've allowed Wall Street to do this and they've played with people's money and taken it into these crazy areas of derivatives
See this makes sense to me, why is one legal and the other not? I do think we need to re-examine our whole system and look at the inconsistencies we have in place, and the devices that we have in place to further divide the uber rich and the dirt poor.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Moore is a very effective filmmaker.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I think much of what he says is hyperbole and not meant to be taken literally. People can think for themselves and do their own research- I highly doubt that anyone takes his movies to be the definitive truth about anything.

It has already done well in limited release. I'm going to see it.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The day Moore starts walking down the street and giving away all his money to poor people is the day I'll start to listen to this guy's view of evil capitalism.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

How do you know how much money Moore gives away to the poor? I like people who give and don't advertise.

If you follow that line of reasoning no one has the right to an opinion about anything-because not one of us walks the walk completely. For me personally Jesus was the only one who did that, and I'm sure even Jesus had his flaws.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
The day Moore starts walking down the street and giving away all his money to poor people is the day I'll start to listen to this guy's view of evil capitalism.

do you feel the same way about Bono? that he has no right to say anything about Africa until he gives away his 9 figures of worth?