Canadians, let's protest the prorogation of parliament - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
I don't think so. Sweden is socialist; it doesn't mean it's communist, but it's definitely socialist.

Fascism is an ideology. It's a complete disregard for principles and a pursuit of trying to get whatever you want at all costs and without regard to how future leaderships should behave if that present fascist leader were a citizen.

Eisenhower showed considerable restraint in backing the desegregation of schools, even if he disagreed with it.

We all have fascistic tendencies and democracies engage in this behavior usually under extreme conditions of desperation.

Harper's entire way of operating is generally fascistic. He centers power around himself and allows very little party debate. He prevents questions from the media when he doesn't feel like it.

He and Bush have violated the rights of their citizens and allowed torture. Harper is in no way threatened by Omar Kadr, but chooses to violate Canadian law that he be protected and at least be transferred from Guantanamo.

I think you're wrong to imply that fascism can only be called that in the worst cases of Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy. The road to those societies were paved with gradual violations of people's rights and a hypocritical abuse of power. Harper is a fascist and just because he hasn't sent in gangs to beat up those who criticize the regime, like Putin, doesn't mean he isn't. The society won't allow it, but he keeps pushing and shows a depraved willingness to say things like parliament shouldn't meet because it could cause market instability. These are not the actions of a democracy-loving leader. Even Hitler invoked what the people supposedly wanted to pursue his agenda.

Harper is engaged in a consistently anti-Muslim campaign. You might not care because you're unaffected, but even Nazi Germany left certain people alone.
You just seem to define things as you see fit. It's just gross oversimplifications and as said before, you are not helping yourself as you will hardly be taken serious in any sincere discussion of politics.
I do very much care about anti-Muslim campaigns and policies, and everyone is affected by it, not just Muslims. But I refuse to divide the world into Socialists and Fascists.
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
It's just gross oversimplifications and as said before, you are not helping yourself as you will hardly be taken serious in any sincere discussion of politics.
Just to add to that:

Political spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



I'm sure this can also be broken down into smaller parts with some politicians with contradictory views, views that change, or views that are difficult to define in this template.
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muldfeld View Post
I don't think so. Sweden is socialist; it doesn't mean it's communist, but it's definitely socialist.

Fascism is an ideology. It's a complete disregard for principles and a pursuit of trying to get whatever you want at all costs and without regard to how future leaderships should behave if that present fascist leader were a citizen.

Eisenhower showed considerable restraint in backing the desegregation of schools, even if he disagreed with it.

We all have fascistic tendencies and democracies engage in this behavior usually under extreme conditions of desperation.

Harper's entire way of operating is generally fascistic. He centers power around himself and allows very little party debate. He prevents questions from the media when he doesn't feel like it.

He and Bush have violated the rights of their citizens and allowed torture. Harper is in no way threatened by Omar Kadr, but chooses to violate Canadian law that he be protected and at least be transferred from Guantanamo.

I think you're wrong to imply that fascism can only be called that in the worst cases of Nazi Germany and Mussolini's Italy. The road to those societies were paved with gradual violations of people's rights and a hypocritical abuse of power. Harper is a fascist and just because he hasn't sent in gangs to beat up those who criticize the regime, like Putin, doesn't mean he isn't. The society won't allow it, but he keeps pushing and shows a depraved willingness to say things like parliament shouldn't meet because it could cause market instability. These are not the actions of a democracy-loving leader. Even Hitler invoked what the people supposedly wanted to pursue his agenda.

Harper is engaged in a consistently anti-Muslim campaign. You might not care because you're unaffected, but even Nazi Germany left certain people alone.
you don't get it do you?

you're worried about being like america but you can't fucking spell centre, neighbour, etc. right if all of gitmo's precious ponies depended on it, could you?

don't you see the irony here? are you SO dense?

and what is this, you show up to the party with a few words you learnt on the playground and expect everyone to be impressed and swayed by your all-knowing opinion? hey, here's news for you... not everyone is a fascist or bleeding heart socialist. i might be damned near fascist these days because of people like you but when i see people like diamond posting his nonsense it suddenly propels me in the opposite direction again. it's a vicious cycle because i hate both sides with equal passion.

between you two polar opposites is where most of us reside. both the uneducated right and lunatic left use hitler/stalin as examples and "fascism" or "socialism" as their catchphrases. can you not see that you sound no different than they do?

at the end of the day are you interested in being loud or are you interested in making a difference? because if you're the latter, i'd recommend that you stopped with the abhorrent oversimplications/absurd blanket statements and use some facts to back your argument instead of calling everyone you don't agree with a nazi.

and don't you dare bitch about canada turning into america again while spelling and sounding exactly like a blinded blue-sky thinking democrat. the irony in your posts is so rich, i'm actually heaving here.

if you think this is an unnecessarily harsh post, it's not. i'm actually handling you with kids gloves... the gloves are made of kids, but they're kids gloves all the same. you opened a can of worms when you started calling every john dick and harry a fascist and this is what happens.
__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
. muldfield, i'm not sure you're aware of this but ALL politicians in EVERY country are controlled by big business in varying degrees. you think this is new or unique?
Er, yes. And that is actually fascism. It's virtually the definition of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
i've started to think the public at large should be excluded from having any say in government affairs. a quick look at almost any message board whether it's here or on news websites quickly reinforces that sentiment.

bring back the all-powerful monarchy.
Sorry, but when you make leaps like this you don't have much of a leg to stand on in critiquing Mudfeld's posts.
__________________
financeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,459
Local Time: 06:17 AM
the difference, of course, is that i was kidding.
__________________

__________________
Zoomerang96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian Election aka Let Borefest '08 begin! bonoman Free Your Mind 231 10-21-2008 11:03 AM
To Protest or not to Protest? DaveC Free Your Mind Archive 81 12-01-2004 07:44 PM
Salon.com: Outlawing dissent- The War on Freedom theSoulfulMofo Free Your Mind Archive 4 02-12-2004 11:13 AM
MERGED --> To protest or not to protest + War protest. The_Sweetest_Thing Free Your Mind Archive 37 03-21-2003 07:40 PM
U.K. Cabinet leader resigns to protest war verte76 Free Your Mind Archive 6 03-18-2003 07:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com