Canadian Election aka Let Borefest '08 begin!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTV just projected a Conservative minority.

Already? Jesus. I've been watching CBC all night, they're being very cautious about results - waiting a while before calling seats. I think it'll be closer than most people think in the end, but still a Con minority.

Already? Jesus. I've been watching CBC all night, they're being very cautious about results - waiting a while before calling seats. I think it'll be closer than most people think in the end, but still a Con minority.

Yeah, I flipped to CBC just after that, and they're not saying anything yet.

I thought it was kind of early - most seats only have a couple of polls in at this point.

unreal.

no green seat yet? I thought they'd pick up somewhere Ontario or eastward.

I'm sick.

Not so far. There are a hell of a lot of Green lawn signs around here. NDP too, but more Green.

Shit!! I looked away from my tv for 2 seconds, and I missed my local results. :angry: Now I'll have to wait till they go through every riding in the entire province in alphabetical order again.

Could get very close to a majority....not sure why CTV jumped the gun like that.

The Greens are a rather conservative party while their voters are much more leftist. I always found it quite odd.

Congrats taxpayers you just bought yourself a $330 million bill to have the same government you had yesterday.

Harper miscalculated in his haste to get this sucker done before November.

It better be a minority. It's typical of us Canadians to illogically go against the grain...here we are on the precipice of an Obama Presidency and we go and fuck with our country and bring BUSH II in a majority government. I'll never figure this out. Damn Ontario and Quebec. Bastards.

Holy shit, that was close. CBC just declared a "Conservative Minority". Whew!!!!!!!

On the really positive side I keep hearing that a couple of INDEPENDENTS actually won in their ridings!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada did the right thing.

Harper saw that the tide is turning in the US and took a gamble now, rather than wait and lose big time a few months from now. It didn't pay off, he's no better off than he was. The end result is that this has cost taxpayers a shitload of money, and we'll have to go through this again a few years from now with a stronger Liberal leader in place.

Borefest, indeed.

Oh my, a CTV reporter following along with the Dion entourage said "[he] was just roughed-up by a Mountie following Dion," and then Dion said that the last person he wanted to talk to was "someone from CTV."

All due to that redo question, apparently.

You live in the east right? I live in the west the liberals screwed westerners over so much. Our how economy is based on the oil and lumber industry right now because the business sector is slowly going down. And taxing western provinces over oil revenues isnt right ether. Just to let you know I do pay taxes actually I'm not 18 but i still do and i do my taxes in the spring because i've been working since i was 13!

You live in the east right? I live in the west the liberals screwed westerners over so much.

Ever hear of the Atlantic Accord?

ETA: There's been a lot of talk about people not being able to vote due to the new identification rules. I was one of those people, got turned away at the polling station and told nothing could be done. Not impressed.

As long as you have the first-past-the-post electoral system, you'll always get these kind of results. I, personally, don't like it whomever wins. A majority of Canadians voted for centre-left parties and yet you have the Conservatives reaping the benefits of vote splitting.

You live in the east right? I live in the west the liberals screwed westerners over so much. Our how economy is based on the oil and lumber industry right now because the business sector is slowly going down. And taxing western provinces over oil revenues isnt right ether. Just to let you know I do pay taxes actually I'm not 18 but i still do and i do my taxes in the spring because i've been working since i was 13!

That's what you have a Premier for, to take care of Albertan interests. Canada has 9 other provinces and three territories, it's not just your province. Having said that, I do realize there are fairly deep regional divides through much of Canada, and for complex reasons, and that your province will likely remain conservative for the foreseeable future.

We had the lowest voter turnout in history today. People are apathetic about elections. Next time out, and I doubt it'll be much longer than two years, the economy will have been in the crapper, there will be a stronger Liberal leader, Obama will be 2 years into his first term, and Canadians will be suffering from Conservative fatigue. I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a complete turn around, and we'll get a Liberal majority next time.

As long as you have the first-past-the-post electoral system, you'll always get these kind of results. I, personally, don't like it whomever wins. A majority of Canadians voted for centre-left parties and yet you have the Conservatives reaping the benefits of vote splitting.

:up:

No Green seat because face it, Elizabeth May is stupid to run where she did. Last time, she ran in the riding I lived in and came very close because she strategically picked a place with close to 30,000 students in the riding. Then she went and did this.

I wouldn't vote for the Greens because other than their environmental platform they are very conservative in every way and have some terrible and dumb ideas about taxation in particular. But I think they are a valuable opposition party and wish they could break through with a seat or two.

The Liberals will probably return, but I think our left in Canada is also trending a bit more left which of course could potentially lead to a merger of the Liberals and NDP somewhere down the road. So that we can all have the same lovely 2 party system as the Americans.

What a night to lose my internet connection. :angry: Would've been so fun to play along here.

Sad to say, but Dion's a goner. Equally sad: voter apathy...the lowest turnout in Canadian election history. We desperately need to engage people on a larger scale. Fixed, four-year terms would also do wonders to limit election burnout...I know so many smart, opiniated people who didn't bother to cast a vote yesterday. It's a shame.

Good news: Harper still needs consensus from other parties to push any major policy changes. For the Liberals, Justin Trudeau was elected...that could very well turn out to be the 'big bang' in their future rebirth across the country.

Interestesting/distressing quote from Harper last night, at least from a Newfoundland & Labrador perspective: “We’ll keep all of the promises we made, and we’ll do what we said we were going to do." (I'm guessing that a certain premier is bound to jump all over that statement in about 20 minutes from now.)

I agree Martina, I have no idea why May ran where she did - as much as I can't stand that guy there was no way he was getting unseated. I do enjoy having the Greens in the picture and hearing their voice. Running the country is a different matter, but there is value in having them at the table.

I'll be sad to see Dion go, I don't think he was ever given a fair chance by the electorate. I can't see a merger of the Libs & NDP happening any time soon, I'd rather see the process change than that. I love our multi party system but it's also so frustrating to see votes split like that.

2 more years of that creepy snide smile sounds so long...

Congrats taxpayers you just bought yourself a $330 million bill to have the same government you had yesterday.

Harper miscalculated in his haste to get this sucker done before November.

my thoughts exactly... I normally don't mind elections but this one seemed particularly pointless :down:

Even though i didn't get to vote this time around i think Canada did the right thing. Honestly in my opinion i don't trust Dion and Layton made ridiculous promises! Even though you know i'm a small minded Albertan but what ever!

wow, you sound like a Conservative sound bite :|

Back
Top Bottom