Can Egypt hold it together? President's son, family flee to Britain - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:26 PM
yolland, you make a good point about the culture/customs thing as well, yes, that's definitely something to keep in mind, too.

Quote:
She did cite in her post how Mofo Politics commented, when Logan was detained in Egypt earlier this month, that "I would totally rape her,"
...the FUCK?

On what planet would anyone think that that was an acceptable thing to say about anybody?

Quote:
When the news broke, Nir Rosen, a fellow at the New York University Center for Law and Security, promptly whined to Twitter, "It’s always wrong, that’s obvious, but I’m rolling my eyes at all the attention she’ll get," adding, "She’s so bad that I ran out of sympathy for her."
Yeah, I know, it totally sucks how we keep bringing attention to such horrors! I mean, it could be SO much worse, right?

Quote:
He soon backpedaled, deleting several of his most offensive posts and tweeting, "I apologize and take it back. joking with friends got out of line when i didnt want to back down. forgot twitter is not exactly private."
Gee, really, no shit, Sherlock?

Christ, people. Does the phrase "Shut up" mean anything to you?

Angela

Old 02-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #212
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:26 AM
What's really sad is I'm no longer surprised when someone says stuff like what some "people" (and I use that word loosely) are saying about Logan.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #213
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I swear, these days it seems to be OK to dehumanize others. If what happened to Lara Logan occurred 10 - 12 years ago, I really doubt anyone would mock her attack. But now its seems to be no big deal to others.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #214
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
On what planet would anyone think that that was an acceptable thing to say about anybody?
Mofo Politics is a really sleazy, trashy conservative newsblog site with entries that mostly read like a shock jock's gossip column. (The original headline of the story that came from was "Slutty CBS Reporter Lara Logan Detained in Egypt.") Rosen at least has been apologizing profusely through various news outlets, fwiw--granted he has more of a reputation to protect than Mofo Politics or Debbie Schlussel, who predictably ridiculed her critics for not seeing the rapacious and brutal nature of Muslims with the clarity she does.

But honestly there's nothing surprising about any of this; vulgarly, terminally empathy-challenged people have always been around and always will be, it's just the rise of blogs and tweets and so forth that makes them more visible and influential.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #215
Forum Moderator

NYT, Feb. 18
Quote:
Battle Lines Harden Across Mideast as Rulers Dig In

Security forces and government supporters employed a growing panoply of violent force—from tear gas and batons to shotguns and grenades—in pitched street battles with antigovernment protesters in Libya, Bahrain and Yemen on Friday. The clashes followed a week of deepening unrest as protesters, emboldened by the toppling of President Hosni Mubarak in Egypt and President Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in Tunisia, have called for swift revolutions in their own countries. The battle lines between protesters and authoritarian rulers across the Arab world appeared to be hardening, with governments turning to an increasingly brutal script in trying to quash the protests that have swept the region.

The severity of a Libyan crackdown on Thursday’s so-called Day of Rage began to emerge Friday when a human rights advocacy group said 24 people had been killed by gunfire and news reports said further clashes with security forces were feared at the funerals for the dead.

That apprehension also seized Bahrain, where mourners for some of the five people killed in an assault on a democracy camp a day earlier marched on Pearl Square and were fired on by security forces. The violence has pitted a Sunni minority government against a Shiite majority in the strategic island state that is home to the American Navy’s Fifth Fleet.

...In Yemen, protests appeared to grow larger and more violent in the city of Taiz, 130 miles south of the capital, where thousands of antigovernment protesters called for the ouster of President Ali Abullah Saleh and clashed with government supporters, news reports said. Reuters reported that a grenade exploded in a large crowd of protesters who had camped out since last Friday in the city’s Hurriya Square, killing at least one person and wounding many more.

Across the Gulf of Aden from Yemen thousands of demonstrators gathered on Friday in the tiny African nation of Djibouti to demand that the country’s president step down, after a series of smaller demonstrations seeking to capitalize on the wave of unrest, The Associated Press reported. A former French colony and a strong ally of the United States, Djibouti, like Bahrain, plays host to an American military base, the only one in Africa.

Clashes between pro-and antigovernment demonstrators were reported in Amman, the capital of Jordan, The Associated Press reported. And in Kuwait, the police attacked about 1000 members of the group known as bedouns who had gathered to demand greater rights, Bloomberg reported.

...In Iran, a leading opposition figure, Mir Hussein Moussavi, was reported missing, raising fears that he had been detained in connection with this week’s antigovernment rallies. The marches, the largest since the 2009 disputed elections, were put down by Iranian security and paramilitary forces. The government called for its supporters to rally Friday; the opposition called for another march on Sunday.

In Algeria, where a major protest has been called for Saturday, state television denounced “foreign interference,” while a prominent political leader, Abdelhamid Mehri, accused the government of not “responding to the hunger for integrity, liberty, democracy and social justice.”

...And in Iraq, protest leaders said they would go ahead with plans for a Saturday march in Baghdad, despite a second day of violence marring demonstrations elsewhere in the country. “Are we expecting violence?” said Kamal Jabar, an Iraqi organizers. “Yes, we’re expecting violence. Are we going out? Yes, we’re going out.”

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #216
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Bahrain is getting pretty chaotic. Reports that troops in helicopters were firing on protestors who decided to march after attending the funeral of other protestors (conflicting accounts as to whether it was live ammo or rubber bullets), and then turning to fire on reporters that were capturing the attacks on camera. And now apparently police are attacking hospitals, and preventing doctors from entering the square and treating and/or removing the wounded or dead.

A combination of tweets:

Quote:
Ambulance paramedic just told me that the riot police pointed their guns on them and said leave or we'll shoot you. A man just asked me if I was using Facebook, I said no. He said "then what are you doing?" and walked away. The guy who asked me about Facebook had to be a spy. He just came back and said good luck to me n left. He's def not 1 of us! they are allowing ambulances to come back as I am hearing. Have one protester here, he says "we were shouting 'peaceful' and then Commandoes with black masks surrounded then started shotting. Docotrs coming out of ER crying. "One protester went infront of crowd and raised bahraini flag, they shouted n told him to put down the flag. "The 1st shot came from a building and straight into the head of a protester, I saw him."
More here: Echoes From Bahrain: "This Is Not Real" - The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #217
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Libya is looking awful too, reports of more than 200 protesters killed by the military!

protests in Morocco too now...
Old 02-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #218
Refugee

Local Time: 12:26 AM
Libyan forces fire on mourners at funeral again - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Libyan forces fire on mourners at funeral again

CAIRO – Libyan security forces opened fired on mourners at a funeral for anti-government protesters in the eastern city of Benghazi again Sunday, a day after commandos and foreign mercenaries loyal to longtime leader Moammar Gadhafi pummeled demonstrators with assault rifles and other heavy weaponry as well as knives. A doctor at one city hospital said he counted 200 dead in his morgue alone since unrest began six days ago.

The crackdown in Libya is shaping up to be the most brutal repression of the anti-government protests that began with uprisings that toppled the regimes in Tunisia and Egypt. The protests then spread quickly around the region to Bahrain, Yemen, Libya, Algeria, Morocco and outside the Middle East to places including the East African nation of Djibouti and even China.

The latest violence in the flashpoint city of Benghazi followed the same pattern as the crackdown on Saturday, when witnesses said forces loyal to Gadhafi attacked mourners at a funeral for anti-government protesters. The doctor at a Benghazi hospital said at least one person was killed by gunshots during the funeral march, and 14 were injured, including five in serious condition. He spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal.

A man shot in the leg Sunday said marchers were carrying coffins to a cemetery when they passed a military compound in Libya's second-largest city. The man said security forces fired in the air and then opened up on the crowd.

Woww. Gadhafi's a sick mass murderer. He deserves to be shot, if not just for his role in the Lockerbie bombing. Yet the UN recognizes him as a legitimate leader. What a world we live in.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #219
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:26 PM
I'd say they're either incredibly stupid, not realizing that the entire world is watching, or just incredibly evil for knowing the world is watching and not caring.

Oh, wait. Why is it an "either/or" situation? They're both.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #220
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Ah, yeah, some of the areas around Gare du Nord are pretty gritty and macho.
Are women more likely to be harassed in Paris in areas that have higher %'s of North African immigrants or is that a politically incorrect question?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #221
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Are women more likely to be harassed in Paris in areas that have higher %'s of North African immigrants or is that a politically incorrect question?
i don't know, apart from a couple of incidents involving non-white males (being followed in Gare du Nord by an East Indian man, and having my arse slapped by a North African man in the same area), i have felt pretty safe in those areas to be honest... plus, those areas are always so busy and bustling and full of activity i've always felt really safe there... it's the lonely quiet deserted back streets in any area that are to be avoided i think...

in fact, the first time i got hassled/propositioned in Paris was on Avenue Montaigne just off the Champs Elysees, by a white French man dressed in a smart suit; i was regularly harassed by my boss, a white French Bigot at one of the major French state-owned companies at the time, not to mention groped on many occasions during commuter hour (by white French men) on the metro; i was tear-gassed once on the metro by a gang of North African lads, then got chased by them after i pulled the emergency lever and jumped off train at Havre-Caumartin near the Opera - never ran so fast in my life lol!!!, have been followed out of the metro station in various parts of Paris i lived in over the years, mostly by white French men/boys, but by far the worst thing was me and my friend being flashed at by a white French man, in the middle of the day on the metro LOL so in my experience it was pretty much everywhere...

funnily enough, one of the places i felt the safest was walking along rue St Denis (red light area) on my way to theatre school - there was so much other action going on, i was completely ignored and left in peace - not something i would recommend though really LOL
Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #222
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Mofo Politics is a really sleazy, trashy conservative newsblog site with entries that mostly read like a shock jock's gossip column. (The original headline of the story that came from was "Slutty CBS Reporter Lara Logan Detained in Egypt.") Rosen at least has been apologizing profusely through various news outlets, fwiw--granted he has more of a reputation to protect than Mofo Politics or Debbie Schlussel, who predictably ridiculed her critics for not seeing the rapacious and brutal nature of Muslims with the clarity she does.
Well, that explains that, then. I'm not familiar with that outlet.

Apology, fine, but really, when have these public ones ever been remotely sincere? Someone who's that big an asshole, I highly doubt they're at all sorry.

Quote:
But honestly there's nothing surprising about any of this; vulgarly, terminally empathy-challenged people have always been around and always will be, it's just the rise of blogs and tweets and so forth that makes them more visible and influential.
I know. It's just still really sucky to hear such things and on some level I still can't believe people actually have the gall to say such things in any media forum. I don't get why people feel the need to say things like that. But then again, I never will, clearly they don't need a reason, so...

Anywho...that's absolutely disgusting, that story about the people killed at that funeral. Cori pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

Angela
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #223
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:26 AM
While we are on the topic of sexual harassment and Lara Logan, here's an interesting piece from CNN:

Quote:
Why is sexual harassment in Egypt so rampant? There could be any number of reasons, but many point to disregard for human rights.
Before the uprising, Nehad Abu el Komsan, the Director for the Center for Women's Rights, told me that Egypt was more interested in political than public security. She said that often meant that officials focused more on preventing political unrest than addressing social ills.
Some also blame the spread of more conservative interpretations of Islam from the Gulf over the past 30 years. They say such interpretations demand more restrictive roles for women and condemn women who step outside of those prescribed roles.
"Four million Egyptians went to the Gulf," el Komsan said. "They returned with oil money, and oil culture, which is not very open, related to the status of women. All of this changed the original culture of the Egyptian," she adds, "which included high respect for women."
Sara, a young Egyptian activist, told me that the concept of respect for some reason doesn't exist any more. "I think Egypt has lived a very long time in denial. Something happened in Egyptian society in the last 30 or 40 years. It feels like the whole social diagram has collapsed."
Egypt's harassed women need their own revolution - CNN.com
Old 02-20-2011, 06:08 PM   #224
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
i don't know, apart from a couple of incidents involving non-white males (being followed in Gare du Nord by an East Indian man, and having my arse slapped by a North African man in the same area), i have felt pretty safe in those areas to be honest... plus, those areas are always so busy and bustling and full of activity i've always felt really safe there... it's the lonely quiet deserted back streets in any area that are to be avoided i think...

in fact, the first time i got hassled/propositioned in Paris was on Avenue Montaigne just off the Champs Elysees, by a white French man dressed in a smart suit; i was regularly harassed by my boss, a white French Bigot at one of the major French state-owned companies at the time, not to mention groped on many occasions during commuter hour (by white French men) on the metro; i was tear-gassed once on the metro by a gang of North African lads, then got chased by them after i pulled the emergency lever and jumped off train at Havre-Caumartin near the Opera - never ran so fast in my life lol!!!, have been followed out of the metro station in various parts of Paris i lived in over the years, mostly by white French men/boys, but by far the worst thing was me and my friend being flashed at by a white French man, in the middle of the day on the metro LOL so in my experience it was pretty much everywhere...

funnily enough, one of the places i felt the safest was walking along rue St Denis (red light area) on my way to theatre school - there was so much other action going on, i was completely ignored and left in peace - not something i would recommend though really LOL
Wow. Sounds like my assumption was borderline racist in that case. This behaviour is much less of a feature of Northern European culture, meaning UK/Scandinavia/Germany, etc. I remember some French girls stayed with my family many years ago...they said they were pleasantly surprised by how little hassle they got in the UK and Ireland by comparison to back home.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
Libyan forces fire on mourners at funeral again - Yahoo! News

Woww. Gadhafi's a sick mass murderer. He deserves to be shot, if not just for his role in the Lockerbie bombing. Yet the UN recognizes him as a legitimate leader. What a world we live in.
Hmm, well, you might get your wish sooner than you think. The reaction of the Libyan regime, that's a reaction from a position of fear. To me, it's the reaction of a regime that is in its last days.