Campus Shooting at Arkansas School

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CherokeeRose

The Fly
at zoo station throwing a brick through a window
Please have your thoughts and prayers for us. There was a shooting at the University of Central Arkansas, the school I attend. I actually heard gunshots when I was outside.

Two suspects held, two sought in Arkansas campus shooting - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Police are searching for two suspects in the fatal shooting of two University of Central Arkansas students Sunday night, while two other suspects are in custody, authorities said Monday.

The first suspect was apprehended in his car shortly after the shooting, and a second turned himself in, said University of Central Arkansas police Lt. Preston Grumbles.

The four suspects are not university students, he said.

The shooting, which happened outside a dorm, prompted a campus lockdown and the cancellation of Monday classes at the university, which serves about 12,500 full-time students in Conway, Arkansas.

Police said students Ryan Henderson, 18, of Little Rock, Arkansas, and Charvareas Block, 19, of Dermott, Arkansas, were killed. Henderson died at the scene, and Block died at Conway Regional Medical Center.

Martrevis Norman, 19, who is not a student, was treated at a hospital and released, according to Lt. Rhonda Swindle. Norman is from Blytheville, Arkansas, she said. A hospital representative earlier told CNN that the survivor was shot in the leg.

Witness accounts led police to the suspects, Grumbles said.

The shots were fired near Arkansas Hall and the Snow Fine Arts Center at 9:22 p.m. (10:22 p.m. ET), Swindle said. Henderson lived in Arkansas Hall, police said Monday.

Freshman Sam Hausen was about 50 feet (15 meters) from the shooters when the gunfire began.

"I heard about five or 10 shots and, at first, I thought it was just firecrackers, because everybody always clowns around out there, but I just realized that it wasn't firecrackers," he said.

As he began running away, he saw a wounded student hit the ground and another stumble into the dorm, he said.

"I saw a couple cars speed off," Hausen said. "I don't know if they were the shooters or not."

Student Lauren Knight was walking to the library when the shooting happened. She said chaos erupted, with students scurrying for safety. iReport.com: Are you there? Share your story

When the campus lockdown was ordered, Knight was stuck with other students for several hours inside the library.

After 9:30 p.m. Sunday, faculty and students were called and e-mailed about the shooting through an automated system. The messages urged them to stay inside and lock their doors, according to The Associated Press. It was first time the system had been used since the university purchased it after the Virginia Tech massacre last year.

Back
Top Bottom