california dreaming - guardian 4.10.09 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #91
She's the One

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Good news for California. They now have a chance to elect 2 candidates, Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman (for governor and U.S. senate) with proven business experience at maximizing efficiency, creating jobs and working within budgets.
Yeah, we get more bazillionaires who have no idea how a government functions!!! We've seen how well that works with that fucking moron we have now. I can't wait for more of that kind of "leadership." The kind that's plunged us down the rabbit hole.

But wait. INDY says it's all those fucking Mexicans' fault. It has NOTHING to do with poor leadership or an obsession with "no new taxes."

I'll be happily voting for Governor Moonbeam again. he knows how to handle a state like mine. He dug us out once before, he can do it again.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:56 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Yeah, we get more bazillionaires who have no idea how a government functions!!! We've seen how well that works with that fucking moron we have now. I can't wait for more of that kind of "leadership." The kind that's plunged us down the rabbit hole.

But wait. INDY says it's all those fucking Mexicans' fault. It has NOTHING to do with poor leadership or an obsession with "no new taxes."
Your taxes are so high now that
Quote:
"Between 1990 and 2007 some 3.4 million more Americans moved from California to one of the other 49 states than moved to California from another state."
You think MORE and HIGHER taxes are the answer? You think importing poverty from Mexico is the answer?
Quote:
I'll be happily voting for Governor Moonbeam again. he knows how to handle a state like mine. He dug us out once before, he can do it again.
Are you higher than your taxes? Must be tokin' on some Mellow Gold as you only dropped 2 f-bombs in your post. Well below your average.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #93
She's the One

Quote:
But wait. INDY says it's all those fucking Mexicans' fault.
Quote:

You think importing poverty from Mexico is the answer?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #94
She's the One

Quote:
you only dropped 2 f-bombs in your post. Well below your average.
Fuck yeah!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #95
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:47 AM
i think CA should legalize marijuana and tax the shit out of it.

that, and make a shit ton off of gay marriage.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #96
She's the One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
that, and make a shit ton off of gay marriage.
Next you'll say Mexicans should allowed to get married.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Next you'll say Mexicans should allowed to get married.

only to other mexicans. we have children to think about.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
how does california get out of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention and there is hi-density creativity/innovation in a few spots in CA. I imagine something along the lines of green energy will get them (and the rest of us) out as mentioned in the article.

Creative Class ? Blog Archive ? Building the Next (and Greener) Silicon Valley - Creative Class

Quote:
Our Climate Prosperity project is doing nothing less than bringing America to a new energy future. We see it as Silicon Valley’s biggest opportunity in decades. In other words, our view is that global warming isn’t a crisis, it’s an opportunity, to innovate, to make money, and to use the market to change our consumption patterns and end our dependency on oil. We’ve assembled a council of Silicon Valley’s best and brightest coming out of the cleantech sector, and we’ve matched them with counterparts in the public sector, and the meetings are inspiring because everybody is on the same page, asking the same question: How can we do this better, faster? How can we accelerate these changes and facilitate their emergence in Silicon Valley? Then, how can we scale what works in Silicon Valley to the entire nation? Our biggest accomplishments to date are forming the nation’s largest renewable energy power purchasing program, building a new association for the battery technology cluster, making a serious run at DOE funding for an energy retrofit program on commercial buildings, and pulling together a consortium of tech companies who want to make the nation’s best smart grid.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Our biggest accomplishments to date are forming the nation’s largest renewable energy power purchasing program, building a new association for the battery technology cluster, making a serious run at DOE funding for an energy retrofit program on commercial buildings, and pulling together a consortium of tech companies who want to make the nation’s best smart grid.
Green energy runs on government greenbacks. It runs until the money runs out.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 AM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

It's called a springboard...
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Calif. governor: Tax hikes needed for $16B budget gap – USATODAY.com

Quote:
Calif. governor: Tax hikes needed for $16B budget gap

SACRAMENTO (AP) – California Gov. Jerry Brown proposed more than $8 billion in cuts Monday to close a widening state budget deficit that he blamed partly on a slower-than-expected economic recovery.

The revised $15.7 billion budget shortfall (up from $ 9.2 billion in January) for the fiscal year that starts July 1 is roughly 17% of California's $91 billion general fund, the state's main checkbook for paying day-to-day operations.

The Legislature had cut tens of billions of dollars from schools, social services, higher education, courts and health care programs for the poor since the recession began in late 2007.

The higher education cuts in particular have sparked demonstrations at regents' meetings and on college campuses throughout the state.

The Democratic governor said the size of the deficit makes it virtually impossible to balance the budget with spending cuts alone, so his budget balances the cuts with the revenue he anticipates if voters approve his proposal to increase the statewide sales tax by a quarter cent and boost income taxes on those who make more than $250,000 a year. Both tax increases would be temporary.

If voters reject his tax initiative, Brown is proposing an automatic cut of $5.5 billion to K-12 schools and $250 million each to the California State University and University of California systems.

By comparison, public schools would see a 16% increase in funding if voters pass Brown's initiative.

Brown called his latest budget plan "modest, fair and temporary." The income tax hikes on the wealthy would be in effect for seven years, while the quarter-cent sales tax hike would remain for four years if voters approve.

In exchange, the governor is proposing a balanced approach that incorporates a wide range of cuts, from prison spending to child care for mothers trying to get off welfare.

Brown said his administration will work with state employee unions to achieve the 5% savings, either through a straight pay cut or reduced work hours. He issued a detailed plan for public employee pension reform earlier this year, but his proposal has not gained much traction in the Legislature, which is controlled by Democrats.
Why is governor Brown so anti-education, anti-poor and anti-union? Guess it's OK though 'cause he's gonna tax the rich.

Seriously... reasoned, pragmatic, compassionate liberals control every facet of government in California so this has gotta work, right? Right?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
I imagine something along the lines of green energy will get them (and the rest of us) out as mentioned in the article.

Oops!!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #103
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Guess it's OK though 'cause he's gonna tax the rich.

yes. it is. why is this such an awful thing? that's how society works.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #104
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:47 AM
I never cared much for California before. I had family I visited once every few years, and friends that lived there, but I was so far away (east coast) that it didn't really matter to me. Now I live in Seattle, which in terms of real estate, is basically California outside of California. We don't have the unemployment rate, or the high taxes, but our housing prices are ridiculous. It's caused me to start paying a lot more attention to California and its... unique ways.

All I can say is, after reading up on the news regarding Cali and all of the info in this thread, I'm glad Pat didn't accept that job offer he got down in the San Fransisco/San Jose area.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #105
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

San Bernardino seeks bankruptcy protection - latimes.com

Quote:
San Bernardino, facing the possibility of missing payroll, becomes California's third city in weeks to authorize a bankruptcy filing.

Filing for municipal bankruptcy protection will allow San Bernardino to renegotiate contracts, including those with employees, and stave off creditors while officials restructure the city's finances. Current employee pension obligations, one of the contributors to the city's financial straits, will not be affected, officials said.
High taxes, high regulation, strong public unions, robust environmentalism, open borders and one-party liberal rule.

Shouldn't this be Utopia?