Calfornia budget crisis may be over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Schwarzenegger inks budget, ends California cash crisis .:. NewKerala - India 's Top Online Newspaper

I have been wondering why a state as big and rich as California is broke? The only thing I can think of is the enormous amount of illegal aliens taxing the welfare and educational systems.
Not to mention, the federal courts will not allow them to slash entitlements on illegal immigrants.

This estimate calculates the annual cost of illegal immigration in California to $10.5 billion annually. That only includes the costs of education, health care and incarceration.

Other costs worth mentioning:
2. Health care fraud and waste: Much of the state's waste comes from Health and Human Services, which amounts to one-third of the state budget. Fraud is rampant in Food Stamps, Medi-Cal and CalWORKS programs. In 2004, the California Performance Review noted, "The Legislative Analyst's Office has put the estimated loss due to fraud in the Medi-Cal program at $1.8 billion annually. Some other estimates go as high as $3 billion." In addition, duplicative agency functions are scattered among several departments, wasting precious funds.

3. Unemployment payments: The Unemployment Insurance Fund is going broke because it places too many people on unemployment, including those fired for misconduct, those not truly seeking work, seasonal workers, ineligible workers, those working other jobs, and deceitful claims. Fraud is definitely part of the $7 billion in annual payments, exacerbated by allowing people to file claims by phone or online and easily qualify rather than appearing in person to provide evidence and undergo examination. Unemployment checks are being mailed out of state to non-Californians and are going to illegal aliens in violation of federal law. Other crimes occur when a fraudster changes a recipients' mailing address online or by phone to his own address. Meanwhile, millions of dollars are being wasted each month on the Employment Development Department's dysfunctional phone system.

[...]

6. Workers' compensation: Conforming California's workers' compensation laws to Arizona's laws, for example, would save state and local governments $2.5 billion per year. More savings would be realized by stepping up efforts to prevent fraud. Requiring physicians to verify claims should be the norm, not the exception. Unfortunately, California's workers' compensation system commonly allows 104 weeks -- two years -- of "temporary disability" benefits without requiring a medical professional to regularly validate whether the disability is real and the employer-paid benefits justified. What's more, the deceitful practice of allowing ex-cons to collect workers' compensation based on a premeditated "slip and fall" at a jail or prison must be eliminated.

7. Prisons: The average cost per inmate in California is about $49,000, twice the cost to run prisons in other states. For example, the average cost per inmate in Florida is under $20,000. A private prison in Oklahoma, which contracts with Arizona, cost only $47.65 a day per inmate, or $17,392.25 per year, in 2007.

How does the cost compare to their estimated contribution to productivity in low wage jobs? Does that ever get discussed?
It's a burden to entry-level, low-wage workers, and minorities WITH citizenship who are seeking jobs, for sure.

It's not much of a "contribution" if they don't follow the rules to begin with.

How does the cost compare to their estimated contribution to productivity in low wage jobs? Does that ever get discussed?

No. Bringing up the facts only confuses the issue. California's problems have NOTHING to do with poor planning, lack of will, lack of leadership, and a reduction in revenues due to a tanking economy.

It's ALL the damn illegals fault. All of it.

No. Bringing up the facts only confuses the issue. California's problems have NOTHING to do with poor planning, lack of will, lack of leadership, and a reduction in revenues due to a tanking economy.

It's ALL the damn illegals fault. All of it.
Texas is a border state.

One with no income tax. One with a part-time legislature.

Worries over "revenues" (in other words, pushes for higher taxes) haven't stopped them from thriving.

Easy to blame the 'illegals'. It's the globalist system that says labour should be free to follow capital where it likes that should be blamed. People aren't commodities.

If you like having the highest rate of taxation in the nation, I don't have a problem with that, at all.

Just don't come begging for a bailout when this doesn't work.

If you like having the highest rate of taxation in the nation, I don't have a problem with that, at all.

Just don't come begging for a bailout when this doesn't work.

Everybody knows it's not going to work, even the idiots who put it all together!

And I don't mind paying a fair share of taxes, but I'd like others to pay their fair share too. You see, I know where paved roads, cops, and traffic lights come from. It's the anti-tax crowd that doesn't seem to understand all that.

Everybody knows it's not going to work, even the idiots who put it all together!

And I don't mind paying a fair share of taxes, but I'd like others to pay their fair share too. You see, I know where paved roads, cops, and traffic lights come from. It's the anti-tax crowd that doesn't seem to understand all that.

It's really sad the taxpayers of California are getting screwed twice, once by their own state and once by the US gov't and it's failed 'stimulus' packages.

Back
Top Bottom