Burma's Aung San Suu Kyi 'guilty'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe this should be in the free you mind section I could be wrong though :shrug:

It is sad she was found guilty, its amazing how the people that try to do good for others and this world are the ones that are punished. One thing I'll say I support her and I'm glad U2 does too, she has my prayers for sure.

Any excuse to keep Aung San Suu Kyi in prison! :tsk: For all we know the Junta could have paid the guy to swim across? :shrug: I mean where were all the security guards while he was making his crossing?!? :scratch: Right from the start, this whole matter seemed to me to be very suspicious and just a little too convenient! :| Also would a guy who has epilepsy and diabetes really take the risk of swimming across a lake knowing he might be shot at, just seems totally incredible to me!! :coocoo:

Edit:

And to make this an 'official' Pleba thread here's Walk on from U2s fabulous Berlin concert I attended....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2449udJHI

Myanmar sentences Suu Kyi to more house arrest

Ridiculous. :down:

Myanmar sentences Suu Kyi to more house arrest - Yahoo! News

YANGON, Myanmar – A Myanmar court convicted Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi on Tuesday of violating her house arrest by allowing an uninvited American to stay at her home. The head of the military-ruled country ordered the democracy leader to serve an 18-month sentence under house arrest.

The 64-year-old opposition leader has already spent 14 of the last 20 years in detention, mostly under house arrest, and the extension will remove her from the political scene when the junta stages elections next year.

The court — which also convicted the American, John Yettaw, and sentenced him to seven years with hard labor — drew immediate criticism from world leaders, with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown calling it "monstrous."

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Suu Kyi should never have been put on trial. French President Nicolas Sarkozy urged the European Union to quickly adopt new sanctions, calling the verdict "brutal and unjust."

But Suu Kyi's term was less severe than the maximum sentence she faced — five years in prison — and shorter than the one the court initially ordered Tuesday — three years with hard labor.

Five minutes after that sentence was read out, Home Minister Maj. Gen. Maung Oo entered the courtroom and read aloud a special order from junta chief Senior Gen. Than Shwe, cutting the sentence in half and saying it could be served at home.

Back
Top Bottom