Bullying - What Can Be Done? - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #331
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
There were a bunch near cross-roads in Bellevue, if you know where that is. It was ridiculous. Also had some guy raising awareness about Kony outside of Target. Seattlites, man.
I love Crossroads! Half Price Books ... food court!

But I beg your pardon, I think both Bellevuians and Seattlites would take offense to being lumped in together as "Seattlites."
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #332
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Not right at all that his mother gave him a stun gun, and rules are rules. But if you complain and basically the victim is blamed, for the way he dresses and accessorizes, I guess you'd feel desperate. If you follow that logic isn't any and all bullying based upon appearance (that falls outside of any one individual's definition of "normal") justifiable by a bully or a school admin? Some studies say that appearance is the number one "reason" for bullying.

indystar.com

The 17-year-old Arsenal Tech High School student who brought a stun gun to school to scare away bullies has been expelled.

Darnell "Dynasty" Young and his mother, Chelisa Grimes, found out late Monday that an independent arbitrator who presided over an expulsion hearing last Wednesday decided to expel him until Jan. 7, 2013. He cannot finish his junior year and he will miss the first semester of his senior year.

"I couldn’t believe that they did it," Grimes said. "They really kicked him out."

Grimes and Young can appeal to the Indianapolis Public Schools school board and the courts if necessary, but Grimes said they're still weighing their options. Young said he plans to get his GED and go to college.

Young, who's openly gay, was suspended pending expulsion April 16 after he brought a stun gun to school, raised it in the air and fired it to scare away six kids who threatened to beat him up during a passing period. Grimes said she gave him the stun gun to protect himself from students who repeatedly called him names and threatened to beat him up. Some students threw rocks at him as he walked home from his after-school job one day. Grimes said she and her son complained to the school staff about bullying several times throughout the school year, but staff members told them that Young called attention to himself because he liked to accessorize his outfits with Grimes' jewelry and purses.

Young's story has gained national attention. He and Grimes have appeared on CNN and "Good Morning America." Kris Jenner, the mother of the Kardashian sisters, tweeted a message of support to Young on Sunday.

Young said he has been overwhelmed by the support he has received. Some of his supporters in Indianapolis are planning a rally before an IPS school board meeting May 15 to raise awareness about Young's case and to pressure the school board to take more steps to prevent bullying. School Board member Samantha Adair-White has called for an independent investigation into the incident, but she said last week she's not sure if enough school board members will support her request to proceed.

The spokeswoman for IPS could not be reached for comment this morning, but Mary Louise Bewley issued a statement. It concluded, "While the district does not condone bullying, it also does not allow weapons to be brought on our school campuses for any reason. Students who violate this rule will be held accountable."
__________________

__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #333
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I love Crossroads! Half Price Books ... food court!

But I beg your pardon, I think both Bellevuians and Seattlites would take offense to being lumped in together as "Seattlites."
Never heard the term Bellevuian before, I'm going to start using it now. I definitely think both sides would resent being lumped in with the other side. Very different cultures fur sure,
__________________
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #334
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 08:52 AM
I realized as I was typing it that I had now idea what people from Bellevue called themselves! Ha.

But seriously - different worlds, right? I'm baffled by the people in Seattle who are always "oh, the east side ... ugh! I never go there!" and the people on the east side who say the same thing about Seattle.

(Although now with one of the ways across the lake being a tollway, I can at least understand the sentiment a little. )
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #335
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,270
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Quote:
"While the district does not condone bullying..."
Quote:
staff members told them that Young called attention to himself because he liked to accessorize his outfits with Grimes' jewelry and purses.
Um. Yeah. Course, we're going by what Grimes said the response was, but still, if that's the case...

I sympathize with the poor kid, sounds like he's had to deal with some horrific situations. Still, though, bringing any sort of gun to school is a bad idea and he should be punished for that.

Course, the kids who've been attacking him should be punished as well for what they've done. Throwing rocks is dangerous and uncalled for, too.
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #336
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Not right at all that his mother gave him a stun gun, and rules are rules. But if you complain and basically the victim is blamed, for the way he dresses and accessorizes, I guess you'd feel desperate. If you follow that logic isn't any and all bullying based upon appearance (that falls outside of any one individual's definition of "normal") justifiable by a bully or a school admin? Some studies say that appearance is the number one "reason" for bullying.

indystar.com

The 17-year-old Arsenal Tech High School student who brought a stun gun to school to scare away bullies has been expelled.

Darnell "Dynasty" Young and his mother, Chelisa Grimes, found out late Monday that an independent arbitrator who presided over an expulsion hearing last Wednesday decided to expel him until Jan. 7, 2013. He cannot finish his junior year and he will miss the first semester of his senior year.

"I couldn’t believe that they did it," Grimes said. "They really kicked him out."

Grimes and Young can appeal to the Indianapolis Public Schools school board and the courts if necessary, but Grimes said they're still weighing their options. Young said he plans to get his GED and go to college.

Young, who's openly gay, was suspended pending expulsion April 16 after he brought a stun gun to school, raised it in the air and fired it to scare away six kids who threatened to beat him up during a passing period. Grimes said she gave him the stun gun to protect himself from students who repeatedly called him names and threatened to beat him up. Some students threw rocks at him as he walked home from his after-school job one day. Grimes said she and her son complained to the school staff about bullying several times throughout the school year, but staff members told them that Young called attention to himself because he liked to accessorize his outfits with Grimes' jewelry and purses.

Young's story has gained national attention. He and Grimes have appeared on CNN and "Good Morning America." Kris Jenner, the mother of the Kardashian sisters, tweeted a message of support to Young on Sunday.

Young said he has been overwhelmed by the support he has received. Some of his supporters in Indianapolis are planning a rally before an IPS school board meeting May 15 to raise awareness about Young's case and to pressure the school board to take more steps to prevent bullying. School Board member Samantha Adair-White has called for an independent investigation into the incident, but she said last week she's not sure if enough school board members will support her request to proceed.

The spokeswoman for IPS could not be reached for comment this morning, but Mary Louise Bewley issued a statement. It concluded, "While the district does not condone bullying, it also does not allow weapons to be brought on our school campuses for any reason. Students who violate this rule will be held accountable."
Just a thought, most kids wouldn't need to bring weapons into school if there is no reason for them to feel in danger. Make school a safer environment from bullies instead of letting things escalate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I realized as I was typing it that I had now idea what people from Bellevue called themselves! Ha.

But seriously - different worlds, right? I'm baffled by the people in Seattle who are always "oh, the east side ... ugh! I never go there!" and the people on the east side who say the same thing about Seattle.

(Although now with one of the ways across the lake being a tollway, I can at least understand the sentiment a little. )
Beats me, I live close to i-90 and for me it's convenient to get to both Seattle and Bellevue. I only go to Bellevue more often because of free parking, but I love Seattle. So many awesome shops tucked away and better food. Bellevue is the land where people live in expensive, run down little houses while driving BMW/Land Rover/Mercedes vehicles and think Renton is a dangerous area. Seattle is an area where most people live in apartments, either drive cheap cars or don't drive at all, and they're a lot more interested in art and that cool new independent coffee shop than they are in the next shiniest shopping complex.
__________________
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #337
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 08:52 AM


(But seriously - I LOVE the Crossroads Mall!)
__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
The spokeswoman for IPS could not be reached for comment this morning, but Mary Louise Bewley issued a statement. It concluded, "While the district does not condone bullying, it also does not allow weapons to be brought on our school campuses for any reason. Students who violate this rule will be held accountable."
Except the case has made it abundantly clear that these shitheads do condone bullying if you dress effeminately.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #339
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,984
Local Time: 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Except the case has made it abundantly clear that ]these shitheads do condone bullying if you dress effeminately.
Yes, and that's the problem.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #340
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:52 PM
Quote:
Hacktivist group Anonymous has reportedly tracked down the man who bullied Amanda Todd, a 15-year-old Canadian girl who committed suicide after suffering torment that led to depression and anxiety.
Anonymous named Todd's alleged bully on Monday in a post on Pastebin.com. The accusers allege that the man who targeted Todd, made her flash him and then turned her life into a living nightmare is a 30-year-old from New Westminster, British Columbia. The post describes him as the man who "extorted amanda todd for pictures. This is the pedophile that social engineered Amanda Todd into supplying him nude pictures."
Anonymous also revealed his address.
Vice magazine posted information that reportedly further links Todd to the alleged bully, including Google Map screenshots of his house, his Facebook profile, chat conversations and screenshots from a "jailbait" website account supposedly tied to the man.
Vice reports that Anonymous got involved in tracking down Todd's bully after nude autopsy photos of deceased Amanda Todd leaked online.
Anonymous commented on its involvement in finding those linked to Todd's suicide.
“We generally don’t like to deal with police first hand but were compelled to put our skills to good use protecting kids,” read an email sent by Anonymous to Canada's CTV News. “Ironically we have some good people in Vancouver who brought this to our admin’s attention. It’s a very sad story that affects all of us.”
Amanda Todd's Alleged Bully Named By Anonymous After Teen's Tragic Suicide

I never thought I would ever say this, but I support Anonymous in this action. Internet bullying is beyond out of control, and lawmakers are taking forever to do something about it. The internet has been around for nearly 20 years, and users have been aware of online harassment for around 10 years or more. That is too long to not do anything to stop online bullying. People are scared, reputations are being destroyed, suicides are occurring, and the mentally ill people who don't care who they hurt are not stopped.

I thought Anonymous was a dangerous hacking group made up of anarchists. But if they are taking justice into their hands because lawmakers are taking too long, then I'm on their side. As long as they are exposing these people who are ruining lives, I support them. Now if they get out of line and start to harass anyone over the slightest thing, I will withdraw my support. I also am not too crazy that they exposed this alleged bully's address, but at least they exposed his name. Now if its the wrong person, well, the most I can say Anonymous is doing more than governments are to stop cyberbullying.
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #341
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,666
Local Time: 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Now if its the wrong person, well, the most I can say Anonymous is doing more than governments are to stop cyberbullying.
I disagree vehemently. In fact, I find your entire post quite troubling and downright scary.

No one really knows if it's the right person, but even if it is, all this is doing is inviting vigilante reprisals. And if it's the wrong person, then we allowed this group to ruin this person's life because of the public thirst for revenge.

As flawed as the system is, we should let the proper judicial channels deal with this.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,886
Local Time: 11:52 AM
The problem in many of these situations is that the law enforcement agencies know jackshit about new technology. Obviously, you are correct in your concerns that Internet vigilantism as justice is a clear slippery slope. This is the inherent issue that will not go away. The best and brightest in new technological fields aren't going to be in law enforcement or in the government. They can make way more money elsewhere.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #343
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 12:52 PM
Vigilante justice such as this has arisen because lawmakers and law enforcements are taking far too long to do something about cyber bullying. Like I mentioned, online harassment is nothing new. It's like the Internet is a place of anarchy where people can do whatever they want. Not always, but in a lot of cases, yes.

If no one wants a hacker group like Anonymous to stop cyber bullies, then give politicians a shove to pass laws to stop these bullies.

Quote:
In fact, I find your entire post quite troubling and downright scary.
Don't you always, BoMac?
__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
I disagree vehemently. In fact, I find your entire post quite troubling and downright scary.

No one really knows if it's the right person, but even if it is, all this is doing is inviting vigilante reprisals. And if it's the wrong person, then we allowed this group to ruin this person's life because of the public thirst for revenge.

As flawed as the system is, we should let the proper judicial channels deal with this.


what's wrong with you? how can you defend this person? he deserves whatever he gets. he should be stoned to death. something must be done to maintain 'honor'.
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #345
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,730
Local Time: 08:52 AM
I find it worrying that this guy's actions are being called "bullying" and not outright criminal.

Is there something different in Canada than here where an adult spreading pictures of a 15-year-old's breasts could not be labeled as sharing child pornography?
__________________

__________________
corianderstem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com