Bullying - What Can Be Done? - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #226
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,493
Local Time: 08:29 PM
deep is so ironic it's almost un-ironic.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #227
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
If this doesn't set off any alarm bells, nothing will. Does your doctor still practice Miasma Theory? Blood letting? Do you still ascribe pregnancy to double seed theory? If you came across someone from 2000 years ago, you'd think he was an idiot
Wonder what they'd think of processed foods, modern art, restless leg syndrome, 2,000 page bills that no one reads before passing or people so tethered by a digital umbilical cord to their electronic devices they suffer from separation anxiety at the thought of being without it for 5 minutes. I think they'd say, "That's progress?"

And call them stupid but they could sew their own clothes, grow their own food, deliver their own babies, build their own houses, make their own wine, forge a weapon or tool and construct a boat or wagon.

How many of those can you do?

The pretentiousness to think our technology and education alone makes us "wiser" than previous generations I find very off-putting.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #228
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,962
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Wonder what they'd think of processed foods, modern art, restless leg syndrome, 2,000 page bills that no one reads before passing or people so tethered by a digital umbilical cord to their electronic devices they suffer from separation anxiety at the thought of being without it for 5 minutes. I think they'd say, "That's progress?"

And call them stupid but they could sew their own clothes, grow their own food, deliver their own babies, build their own houses, make their own wine, forge a weapon or tool and construct a boat or wagon.

How many of those can you do?

The pretentiousness to think our technology and education alone makes us "wiser" than previous generations I find very off-putting.
And all of this validates medical theories with no scientific basis how?
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #229
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Seriously. We're honestly still having such a discussion in 2012?
What discussion? It's FYM going off in a tangent over something nobody has said.

Quote:
Indy500
But isn't it a bit of a reduction as well when Dan Savage declares the Biblical view of human sexuality as understood by billions of people for thousands of years as "bullshit"?
That's not an endorsement of Old Testament legalism (that I've previously mentioned Christ rendered obsolete for his followers). But just because I don't proscribe to those laws I'm not condescending enough, historian or anthropologist enough to flatly judge their beliefs as "bullshit."

Doesn't stop Dan Savage and y'all though !!

Dan Savage was talking about, "the bullshit of ...menstruation, virginity, masturbation... in the Bible" all off which fall into the category of human sexuality. So how does this become just about homosexuality?

The Bible has a lot to say about sexuality. It tells me that sexuality is sacred. A gift from God. That's bullshit? The Bible teaches me the importance of faithfulness. Is that a bad thing? It talks about the dangers of uncontrolled lust. Is that not without merit? And yes, billions of people over thousands of years have lived very happy lives following this "bullshit."

The Dan Savages of the word have nothing but contempt for moral absolutes. He claims to have the knowledge of moral bullshit and non-bullshit -- of good and evil. The Bible teaches about that too.
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #230
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
And all of this validates medical theories with no scientific basis how?
Does that make them "stupid" or just wrong?
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #231
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Wonder what they'd think of processed foods, modern art, restless leg syndrome, 2,000 page bills that no one reads before passing or people so tethered by a digital umbilical cord to their electronic devices they suffer from separation anxiety at the thought of being without it for 5 minutes. I think they'd say, "That's progress?"

And call them stupid but they could sew their own clothes, grow their own food, deliver their own babies, build their own houses, make their own wine, forge a weapon or tool and construct a boat or wagon.

How many of those can you do?

The pretentiousness to think our technology and education alone makes us "wiser" than previous generations I find very off-putting.
Processed foods were a godsend when they first came out. They didn't expire right away, resulting in food being more affordable and lasting longer for people. Art is art. I think they'd say "that's progress" to the fact that people are no longer dying of colds, starvation, or a lack of hygiene. They'd say "that's progress" to the streets no longer reeking of urine and feces. They'd say "that's progress" to the fact that women now rarely die in child birth, you no longer have to walk 10 hours to find food, and people now live over twice as long. They would definitely think our technological advances were progress, considering I can now communicate with people all over the world at the push of a button.

The fact is, they couldn't deliver their own babies. They had to have many children because most of them died shortly after being born. Women died in childbirth all the time. I think it's insulting to the women who want to have a doctor there to check the health of their baby that you think they "can't" give birth on their own. Tons of people can and do grow their own food today. Why do people not do this? Because we don't need to, thanks to technology. If you have a strong passion for it, you're in the business of providing for others.

Most of their homes are crumbling ruins and barely provided shelter as it was. We have architects today to make homes more functional. We no longer have to do these things unless we want to, and if we want to, we can. I view this as progress. Yes, many people of today are spoiled, but I'd rather live in a spoiled society than one where girls are forced to start having kids at the age of thirteen because we all died painful deaths at a young age from famine and disease.

Don't view the past through rose colored lenses.
__________________
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #232
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
It's the way we've always done things, but it's different than those other ways we've always done things that turned out to be misguided, you guys. INDY's right on this one. Homosexuality is wrong because it just is wrong. You either feel that truth or you don't. INDY does. He knows it to be. And thus, gays cannot get married, because INDY knows he's right in his heart of hearts, even if he cannot scrap together one shred of a coherent argument against it. We've always done it this way, it must be right. Don't compare it to slavery or considering minorities to be inferior, because it's different. Why is it different? Because INDY just knows it is.
You seriously have to stop putting words in my mouth. OK?
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #233
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Don't view the past through rose colored lenses.
Ya, I wouldn't trade places either. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate humanity through the ages.

Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine didn't get off the ground.



Guess he was "stupid."
__________________
INDY500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Does that make them "stupid" or just wrong?
It makes them wrong because they didn't have the last 2000 years of discoveries for reference. The people sticking to those beliefs these days however....
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #235
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Processed foods were a godsend when they first came out. They didn't expire right away, resulting in food being more affordable and lasting longer for people. Art is art. I think they'd say "that's progress" to the fact that people are no longer dying of colds, starvation, or a lack of hygiene. They'd say "that's progress" to the streets no longer reeking of urine and feces. They'd say "that's progress" to the fact that women now rarely die in child birth, you no longer have to walk 10 hours to find food, and people now live over twice as long. They would definitely think our technological advances were progress, considering I can now communicate with people all over the world at the push of a button.

The fact is, they couldn't deliver their own babies. They had to have many children because most of them died shortly after being born. Women died in childbirth all the time. I think it's insulting to the women who want to have a doctor there to check the health of their baby that you think they "can't" give birth on their own. Tons of people can and do grow their own food today. Why do people not do this? Because we don't need to, thanks to technology. If you have a strong passion for it, you're in the business of providing for others.

Most of their homes are crumbling ruins and barely provided shelter as it was. We have architects today to make homes more functional. We no longer have to do these things unless we want to, and if we want to, we can. I view this as progress. Yes, many people of today are spoiled, but I'd rather live in a spoiled society than one where girls are forced to start having kids at the age of thirteen because we all died painful deaths at a young age from famine and disease.

Don't view the past through rose colored lenses.
fucking word
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #236
The Fly
 
moiph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 81
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Processed foods were a godsend when they first came out. They didn't expire right away, resulting in food being more affordable and lasting longer for people. Art is art. I think they'd say "that's progress" to the fact that people are no longer dying of colds, starvation, or a lack of hygiene. They'd say "that's progress" to the streets no longer reeking of urine and feces. They'd say "that's progress" to the fact that women now rarely die in child birth, you no longer have to walk 10 hours to find food, and people now live over twice as long. They would definitely think our technological advances were progress, considering I can now communicate with people all over the world at the push of a button.

The fact is, they couldn't deliver their own babies. They had to have many children because most of them died shortly after being born. Women died in childbirth all the time. I think it's insulting to the women who want to have a doctor there to check the health of their baby that you think they "can't" give birth on their own. Tons of people can and do grow their own food today. Why do people not do this? Because we don't need to, thanks to technology. If you have a strong passion for it, you're in the business of providing for others.

Most of their homes are crumbling ruins and barely provided shelter as it was. We have architects today to make homes more functional. We no longer have to do these things unless we want to, and if we want to, we can. I view this as progress. Yes, many people of today are spoiled, but I'd rather live in a spoiled society than one where girls are forced to start having kids at the age of thirteen because we all died painful deaths at a young age from famine and disease.

Don't view the past through rose colored lenses.
__________________
moiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #237
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Ya, I wouldn't trade places either. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate humanity through the ages.

Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine didn't get off the ground.



Guess he was "stupid."
How is that even relevant? It's not that people back then were "stupid". It's that they were ignorant and uneducated. I'm sure people will think the same thing about us 2000 years from now. The fact is that people back then simply did not know how human sexuality worked, they just knew that it existed. Today, we know. Just because a few people thought something without any scientific backing a few thousand years ago and have maintained that same, unscientific belief for thousands of years does not mean it's correct.
__________________
ladyfreckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #238
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Ya, I wouldn't trade places either. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate humanity through the ages.

Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine didn't get off the ground.



Guess he was "stupid."
Who said anything about not appreciating humanity through the ages? I have a very active appreciation. We're talking about people basing their lives off millenias old, completely antiquated belief systems. Ignorance in it's purest
__________________
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #239
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas and around the Texas Triangle
Posts: 13,962
Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

Does that make them "stupid" or just wrong?
It doesn't make them stupid. It makes them sometimes ignorant, though not of any fault of their own (and there's plenty about which we are all surely ignorant too... I have no doubt that some medical habits of today will be mocked a century from now). It also presents me with no obligation to behave under rules encouraged by previous ignorance.
__________________
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #240
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,882
Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Does that make them "stupid" or just wrong?
I think that this has been clarified by more than one poster since you asked this question. I hope you won't pretend it hasn't been clarified.
__________________

__________________
maycocksean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com