British Lions rugby legend Gareth Thomas comes out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Good for him. Its a shame that there arent more willing to come out in all sports. I mean, how many openly gay football, baseball, basketball, or hockey players do you know of? With the amount of players in those leagues, there must be a ton that are gay and are afraid to say it

Not that surprising, as it has been well known in rugby circles for years. It's interesting that rugby is way less homophobic than soccer. There are several very well known soccer players that are heavily rumoured to be gay, but haven't come out for fear of the fans' and other players' reactions.

my blinkered American understand is that rugby is more of an upper-class sport, whereas football is much more working class (and has the "hooligan/lad" culture surrounding it). could this be part of why it might be easier to come out as a rugby player than as a football player? just a thought.

This should be a non story.

Reasonable to assume somewhere between 5-8%? of athletes are gay.

agreed.

yet, even in Olympic sports, it's still considered too risky a move, financially ...

imgname--olympic_swimmer_ian_thorpe_had_allergies_to_chlorine---50226711--images--ian_thorpe.jpg

ianthorpe_blacknails.jpg

my blinkered American understand is that rugby is more of an upper-class sport, whereas football is much more working class (and has the "hooligan/lad" culture surrounding it). could this be part of why it might be easier to come out as a rugby player than as a football player? just a thought.

yep this is entirely correct. whilst much of the racism that dogged football in the 80's has been virtually eradicated (in the english premiership anyway), it would be almost impossible for a homosexual footballer to come out.

football crowds would be far less forgiving than rugby crowds in my opinion.

at matches i've been to in the last 2-3 years i've heard homophobic chanting and there has been no uproar about it. nothing was said or done about it :down:

Well it's probably a middle to upper middle class sport (though not in Wales) but in general you're not wrong. Of course, to keep it in perspective, the number of out rugby players is still very low, but I agree with 1stepcloser in that homophobic chanting at matches directed at players that there are rumours about is really not an issue to the same extent as soccer.

I would imagine it's still very difficult for non-retired athletes to come out, for several reasons. Easier for women perhaps and more accepted. For the male dominated sports-not as easy or accepted.

Maybe, but also not in every sport probably. The former coach of the German women soccer team once said that she could imagine about half of her team to be lesbian, but they were too afraid to come out. The German Soccer Association so far did nothing to ever tackle homophobia in both men and women soccer. Racism? Yes. Hooligans et al? Yes. Gender? Yes. Homophobia? No way.
After our national team's goalkeeper committed suicide a few weeks ago they said now they also wanted to focus on depression more, and in a sub-clause mentioned homophobia as well. But it didn't seem too genuine. He wasn't gay himself, and that wasn't the cause of his suicide. He suffered from depression between 2001 and 2004, went into long treatment, made it so far as to being able to live without medication even, but this summer or a bit earlier it came back. I assume they just tried to slip it under with tackling homophobia. Sort of good PR, but not risky for them. Quite pathetic. Though I hope it won't be like that.

There's more than 200 professional players in our top two leagues, but none has ever come out yet. Neither anyone of the retired. I'm not sure, but I also cannot remember any other German athlete who is openly gay. But well, it might just be that I don't know. So sports are an anomaly, statistically speaking. The mayors of our largest cities both are gay, our new foreign minister is gay, so many other top politicians are gay, and in the field of entertainment you sometimes ask yourself if there are even straight left. But our managers and sports stars all are not gay? But if I were in their shoes, I would probably also prefer a fake marriage. Sports are not really welcoming of homosexuals. Very sad.

As one coach said, it would need to be a larger number of players all coming out at once. But for a single player it's just too much to ask. Too much is at stake.

Just because Thorpe has an eye for fashion and takes care of himself doesn't make him gay....always pissed me off this assumption.

I am a believer in that rebel from Nazareth.

I believe he was God.

I also believe in the scriptures, he often quoted.

Homosexuality is a sin. It's not right. It's not a gay life at all.

One of my best friends was homosexual, he killed himself at he age of 47.

I believe he was God.

You are an idiot.

Maybe your friend killed himself because of the homophobia and discrimination that he had to face in everyday life?

I believe he was God.

it wouldn't surprise me if you killed him when you found out he was gay.

I believe he was God.

Westboro Baptist Church in da house!!! West siiiiiiiiiide!

You have a lot to learn.

One of my best friends is gay. He doesn't need to 'come out', because we, his friends, know it already. I was out for a few drinks a few nights before Christmas and it rapidly became clear that the 'friend' of my friend was more than just a friend. And seeing them out, proud, and happy to be as such in what used to be one of the most homophobic cities in Europe was one of the most life affirming and joyous experiences I've been part of in a long time.

So what do you think of that, Iron Horse?

I believe he was God.

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality...

And it's homophobia like this that leads people to hate themselves.

You should be ashamed.

Back
Top Bottom