British Lions rugby legend Gareth Thomas comes out - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2009, 10:09 AM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Thanks for the link, melon. I haven't read any of Alison's work. Have you read any of John McNeil or Dan Helmeniak's works? What did you think?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #77
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Thanks for the link, melon. I haven't read any of Alison's work. Have you read any of John McNeil or Dan Helmeniak's works? What did you think?
I haven't read either of them in-depth, but I do have a passing familiarity with their works, along with that of John Boswell, who appears to have influenced both. Boswell tends nowadays to be more of a liability than an asset as his "Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe" has since fallen out of favour, and I'm currently of the view that much of it probably is an embellishment of archaic medieval rituals with no modern counterpart--which happens to be the exact same problem with modern embellishments of archaic antiquarian rituals and then labeling them as "(anti-)homosexual" in the Bible.

As this entire subject tends to be very contentious, as you can imagine, what's very interesting to me is how the issue of modern homosexuality having no Biblical equivalent is becoming widely accepted amongst serious Biblical scholars--that is, those scholars with no ideological axe to grind. And what makes Alison so very interesting and refreshing to read is that he approaches Catholicism and the Bible with an essentially "conservative," Thomist approach. Theologically, he seems anything but radical, and yet he is quite unafraid to make very bold pronouncements--an approach that ultimately hearkens back to Aquinas himself. I find his work to be very promising.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #78
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Just because Thorpe has an eye for fashion and takes care of himself doesn't make him gay....always pissed me off this assumption.

though i'm not Australian, i do keep very informed on the world of swimming (and gay culture), and this rumor has been around for a long time, and it seems a relatively good assumption to me.

i could be wrong, absolutely.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You have a lot to learn.

One of my best friends is gay. He doesn't need to 'come out', because we, his friends, know it already. I was out for a few drinks a few nights before Christmas and it rapidly became clear that the 'friend' of my friend was more than just a friend. And seeing them out, proud, and happy to be as such in what used to be one of the most homophobic cities in Europe was one of the most life affirming and joyous experiences I've been part of in a long time.

So what do you think of that, Iron Horse?

so, i'm obviously way late on this thread, but just wanted to add a to this post, for the many different things it touches on.