Brexit - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #361
The Fly
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portugal
Posts: 295
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Well... UK kicked out Churchill after WWII also by democratic means.
__________________

__________________
trainmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #362
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 15,958
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post

I see this a lot, but I still have no idea what it is based on. Will the UK be plunged into the dark ages for an eternity after Brexit? - No. But why and how it would outperform a UK within the EU I don't get.
Unless the UK strikes a deal with the EU unparalleled to any of the other deals the EU has in place with European countries.
Which I severely doubt will happen.
In no negotiation can you cherry pick only that was is favourable to you, and the UK still needs the EU more than the other way around.
I totally agree with you. I honestly don't see how this is better for them in the long run except if you take a VERY long term view and you put a high premium on being able to 100% control domestic social policies over anything else.

The one thing businesses value more than anything is the rule of law and certainty. You will now see the pullout of EU institutions and personnel and a withdrawal of foreign investment. Keep in mind that the UK's foreign direct investment is NOT immobile like in other places. For example, the UK economy does not depend largely on export of resources which are immobile (like oil, gold, uranium, etc) meaning that a foreign investor can easily pick up their investment and move it into a more stable region like the EU or elsewhere. Investors don't have that same option with say, oil, which is a limited resource present in significant quantities in a small handful of countries. Why would a financial institution risk uncertainty in the UK when they can have certainty in the US or the EU?

I don't buy for a second that your average person who voted Leave understands any of this. But that is the nature of a referendum and the nature of the Remain side having run a terrible and useless campaign.
__________________

__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:29 AM   #363
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,489
Local Time: 08:27 PM
you know what, the more hate and ugliness i'm seeing reported, i don't even know if a socially minded left-wing government attempting to address their concerns would make the blindest bit of difference

i think people are just either nice or nasty

VersoBooks.com


Quote:
Although we appear to be in a ‘post-fact’ Britain, I feel compelled to remind readers that austerity measures are unequally distributed across the population. Certainly, the poorest local authorities, especially those in the north and east, are being hit hardest by these unprecedented cuts to public spending. However, looking more closely at the data shows us that women—and women of colour in particular—are disproportionately impacted. Because women of colour, on the whole, are more likely to be public sector employees but also living in the poorest households, cuts to vital services, such as libraries, public transport and afterschool care, translate into further immiseration as jobs are threatened and household incomes decline. Even though people of colour are more likely to be living in poverty and are being hit hardest by austerity measures, 75% of voters of colour opted to remain in the EU. What does a claim of white victimhood mean in this context?
__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #364
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,571
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
you know what, the more hate and ugliness i'm seeing reported, i don't even know if a socially minded left-wing government attempting to address their concerns would make the blindest bit of difference

i think people are just either nice or nasty

VersoBooks.com
It certainly wouldn't be an overnight change, it would take many years and really, if the left-wing leader of a non-governing party cops so much crap even before he gets elected as the leader - then it's a bit daunting to imagine how it'd be like if he was in power for any length of time. He'd have very little support among the mainstream media, which would prove an impediment to making the aforementioned changes.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #365
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,046
Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I have not yet seen you define what you mean by 'far-ish' left. I can assume you mean Sanders, who is not radical by any stretch of the imagination. It seems that you apply this label to any minor deviation from standard centrist politics.



Again, the notion that I have any real common ground with the right (anymore than you do) is utterly ridiculous.



I admit to some snark, but lets not pretend you're free of that either.



Greenwald is far-left now?

Once more, you should define what you are talking about.



You can continually present as if you're above it and only you, Vlad, know what really is and is not Left or center Left or whatever. But the above is your standard response -- you yourself have never defined these terms or given any concrete example of such. Most of the rest of us, including myself, operate under assumptions held in most western democracies of what is Left and Right, while taking into account that these are never perfect alignments due to culture, history, nuance, etc. most people would place Greenwald on the Left. Most people would view Hilary as center Left in the US, more center in Europe.

If you'd like to say NO NO THAT'S WRONG BECAUSE I DEFINE IT DIFFERENTLY, that's fine, but let's not pretend as if your definitions -- or at least assumptions we have to make because you rarely give any little information -- fall into mainstream political discourse.

My earlier points stand -- the political spectrum has a fundamental circularity. The far left and the far right have much in common.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:32 AM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pushing my wheel of love.
Posts: 8,971
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
The one thing businesses value more than anything is the rule of law and certainty. You will now see the pullout of EU institutions and personnel and a withdrawal of foreign investment. Keep in mind that the UK's foreign direct investment is NOT immobile like in other places. For example, the UK economy does not depend largely on export of resources which are immobile (like oil, gold, uranium, etc) meaning that a foreign investor can easily pick up their investment and move it into a more stable region like the EU or elsewhere. Investors don't have that same option with say, oil, which is a limited resource present in significant quantities in a small handful of countries. Why would a financial institution risk uncertainty in the UK when they can have certainty in the US or the EU?
Agreed about the attractiveness of stability for investors, but I would disagree that the EU has been stable or that it will be in the future. The Euro has been fluctuating rather badly and the entire edifice is being weighed down by a couple of severely flagging economies in Greece and Spain, with more likely on the way. Ultimately I think Greece is indicative of an intractable problem for the EU in that giving up control of your own monetary policy is not sustainable in the long run. We've been seeing that there is no way to enforce fiscal reform measures on individual states, and ultimately stable places like Germany will stop propping up economically weaker states.

Admittedly I don't know how entangled the UK is in the financial structure of the EU (whether they are paying into the central bank or anything like that), but seems to be dissociated themselves from all that is a good idea.

The big winner from all this will probably be the US in that even more investment will flock over here.
__________________
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #367
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,571
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
You can continually present as if you're above it and only you, Vlad, know what really is and is not Left or center Left or whatever. But the above is your standard response -- you yourself have never defined these terms or given any concrete example of such. Most of the rest of us, including myself, operate under assumptions held in most western democracies of what is Left and Right, while taking into account that these are never perfect alignments due to culture, history, nuance, etc. most people would place Greenwald on the Left. Most people would view Hilary as center Left in the US, more center in Europe.

If you'd like to say NO NO THAT'S WRONG BECAUSE I DEFINE IT DIFFERENTLY, that's fine, but let's not pretend as if your definitions -- or at least assumptions we have to make because you rarely give any little information -- fall into mainstream political discourse.
Hell, fair enough. You have some kind of point on this occasion. I would have thought 'far left' would be pretty universally defined as anti-capitalist, although I have to disagree with your perception of Hillary's position on the political spectrum, that's fine, whatever.

However, what you've written below ...

Quote:
My earlier points stand -- the political spectrum has a fundamental circularity. The far left and the far right have much in common.
You're a believer in the horseshoe theory? There's absolutely no legitimate basis for that, and honestly, it's borderline insulting. Especially since ideologies on either end are complete opposites and that it is absolutely shameful on your part to suggest they have much in common.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:41 AM   #368
Acrobat
 
Badyouken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Canada
Posts: 480
Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I totally agree with you. I honestly don't see how this is better for them in the long run except if you take a VERY long term view and you put a high premium on being able to 100% control domestic social policies over anything else.

The one thing businesses value more than anything is the rule of law and certainty. You will now see the pullout of EU institutions and personnel and a withdrawal of foreign investment. Keep in mind that the UK's foreign direct investment is NOT immobile like in other places. For example, the UK economy does not depend largely on export of resources which are immobile (like oil, gold, uranium, etc) meaning that a foreign investor can easily pick up their investment and move it into a more stable region like the EU or elsewhere. Investors don't have that same option with say, oil, which is a limited resource present in significant quantities in a small handful of countries. Why would a financial institution risk uncertainty in the UK when they can have certainty in the US or the EU?

I don't buy for a second that your average person who voted Leave understands any of this. But that is the nature of a referendum and the nature of the Remain side having run a terrible and useless campaign.
Time for Toronto to take over the high finance mantle!
__________________
Badyouken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #369
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,489
Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
Most people would view Hilary as center Left in the US, more center in Europe.
Irvine, in Europe, i believe the whole scale shifts a lot further to the left compared with the US, and even Democrats are at least close to if not further right than the British Conservatives... i think our Socialists (here in France) would be seen as Communists over there

it's the same between France and the UK - the Conservative equivalent in France are not as far right as the Conservatives in Britain
__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #370
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,489
Local Time: 08:27 PM
ha i did the Political Compass thing - i'm a far-left Libertarian apparently, south-west of the Greens - god knows who i should vote for
__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:50 AM   #371
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,489
Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
It certainly wouldn't be an overnight change, it would take many years and really, if the left-wing leader of a non-governing party cops so much crap even before he gets elected as the leader - then it's a bit daunting to imagine how it'd be like if he was in power for any length of time. He'd have very little support among the mainstream media, which would prove an impediment to making the aforementioned changes.
this whole demolition of Labour right now is nothing but a diversion for the Tories to avoid scrutiny over this mess - it's sickening...
__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #372
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,571
Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama cass View Post
this whole demolition of Labour right now is nothing but a diversion for the Tories to avoid scrutiny over this mess - it's sickening...
Tories relieved they really didn't have to do much! I read Diane Abbott's Guardian article today, there was a mention of many Labour MPs hurling insults at Jeremy Corbyn during the meeting. Though I figured he's thick skinned enough to deal with whatever comes his way.

I still struggle to understand how many people at all could sympathise with the coup plotters in this.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #373
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
mama cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,489
Local Time: 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Tories relieved they really didn't have to do much! I read Diane Abbott's Guardian article today, there was a mention of many Labour MPs hurling insults at Jeremy Corbyn during the meeting. Though I figured he's thick skinned enough to deal with whatever comes his way.

I still struggle to understand how many people at all could sympathise with the coup plotters in this.
it's actually making me feel completely ill, it's horrible - i could never have actually imagined something like this

i am reaaaally hoping Corbyn will stand his ground - if Cameron wants him out (he actually said to him "for god's sake man, GO") then he definitely should stay - hopefully his supporters will remain loyal... from what i'm reading, many are sick of the Blairites and feel it's time for new politics - i hope he will be able to deliver...
__________________
mama cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #374
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 27,571
Local Time: 04:57 AM
To mobilise 10,000 supporters within short notice is pretty impressive, and I certainly doubt you'd have as many coming out for say, Ed Milliband or any potential new Labour leader. I think he has enough grassroots support and that he's attracted those on the left usually very reluctant to be positive towards Labour otherwise.
__________________
Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #375
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 39,200
Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post



You're a believer in the horseshoe theory? There's absolutely no legitimate basis for that, and honestly, it's borderline insulting. Especially since ideologies on either end are complete opposites and that it is absolutely shameful on your part to suggest they have much in common.
Ideologies might be opposites, but there's a lot of crossover in what attracts people to those extremes, tactics, traits, and without talking for Irvine, I think that's what he's getting at.

In the US for example our two current extremes have a lot of crossover; they're both post fact, both driven by and scapegoat "the system" yet ironically they're both calling for more system as the answer, they're both stricken with racism and sexism, and both have an absolute hatred for anything Clinton.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com