Brazilian President Blames Whites for Financial Crisis - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,653
Local Time: 01:53 PM
Brazilian President Blames Whites for Financial Crisis

Quote:
Brazil's president blamed "white people with blue eyes" for the world economic crisis and said it was wrong that developing countries should pay for mistakes made in richer countries, sparking accusations of racism.

President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who has criticized the European Union and the US for tariffs on products from developing countries and has advocated a bigger say for developing countries in decisions on the world economy, pointed a finger to Western bankers.

"This crisis was caused by the irrational behavior of white people with blue eyes, who thought they knew everything and now show they know nothing," Lula da Silva said after a meeting with the UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown in the country's capital of Brasilia.

Lula da Silva's comments were widely reported in the press drew charges of racism from message boards and CNBC viewers.

When challenged about his claims, Lula said: "I only record what I see in the press. I am not acquainted with a single black banker," according the Guardian newspaper.
Brazil President Blames 'White People' for Crisis - AOL Money & Finance

OK, so yes, white people run the banks and they screwed up. But is it really necessary to make that comment? Considering the fact that there are plenty of blue eyed whites living in Brazil, that makes Lula's comment down right stupid.
__________________

__________________
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 06:53 PM
I've never looked for their eye color. Interesting observation.

Are they blond and tall as well?
__________________

__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
War Child
 
Earl-Of-IMDb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: in a very peaceful place
Posts: 805
Local Time: 11:53 AM
yeah non-sensical at best
__________________
Earl-Of-IMDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Galeonbroad
 
Galeongirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Schoo Fishtank
Posts: 70,773
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I've never looked for their eye color. Interesting observation.

Are they blond and tall as well?
If so, I probably should start feeling REALLY guilty since I match that description.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceRyan View Post
And if U2 EVER did Hawkmoon live....and the version from the Lovetown Tour, my uterus would leave my body and fling itself at Bono - for realz.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Arrr, zhat's gut genes. Just don't become a banker.

Does that mean, if all Wall Street bankers etc. had been not white and not blue-eyed the world would be in good shape these days?
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Considering the fact that there are plenty of blue eyed whites living in Brazil, that makes Lula's comment down right stupid.
Had he been speaking as the leader of a much smaller, poorer and ethnoracially homogeneous country, then I'd likely just think, 'Eh, this is just another way of angrily protesting how this crisis originated with the wealthy and supposedly oh-so-financially-savvy Western countries, yet the poorest countries will almost certainly pay the highest price in terms of human suffering.' Which, after all, is true. But yeah, when the leader of a huge, economically mid-tier and resource-rich, and very ethnoracially diverse country (with deep class divisions) says something like this, it's hard not to hear in it an ugly style of populism with potentially dangerous reverberations in his own country.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, who has criticized the European Union and the US for tariffs on products from developing countries and has advocated a bigger say for developing countries in decisions on the world economy, pointed a finger to Western bankers.


When challenged about his claims, Lula said: "I only record what I see in the press. I am not acquainted with a single black banker," according the Guardian newspaper.

As a member of the group Lula is attacking, I say we should include Brazil in the "Axis of Evil" and push for regime change.




(not a banker or money changer)


Lula would do well to remember not everyone with blue eyes is evil!
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
War Child
 
ultraviolet7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The End Of The World
Posts: 619
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Had he been speaking as the leader of a much smaller, poorer and ethnoracially homogeneous country, then I'd likely just think, 'Eh, this is just another way of angrily protesting how this crisis originated with the wealthy and supposedly oh-so-financially-savvy Western countries, yet the poorest countries will almost certainly pay the highest price in terms of human suffering.' Which, after all, is true. But yeah, when the leader of a huge, economically mid-tier and resource-rich, and very ethnoracially diverse country (with deep class divisions) says something like this, it's hard not to hear in it an ugly style of populism with potentially dangerous reverberations in his own country.
The comment was indeed unfortunate, but you know, even if Brazil is a mid-tier economy, poverty is still rampant as it is in the rest of South America to a higher or lesser degree depending on the country. So I think it can still fit the "angry protest" profile.

I live in Argentina, which though not as industrialised and not as heterogeneous racially, is similar to Brazil to an extent. In this part of the world, while middle and upper classes (in general white) like to think of themselves as "Europeans" or "Americans" (from the US), most people wouldn't read such a comment as racist. In fact paradoxically they wouldn't take it as being in any way related to them. Maybe conservative minorities would react to the populist overtone, media would play the politically correct card, but most people would approve the criticism to the first world countries - since "the greed of the West" has always been, not so mistakingly, a favourite scapegoat to the socioeconomic troubles these countries have always lived with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
As a member of the group Lula is attacking, I say we should include Brazil in the "Axis of Evil" and push for regime change.
__________________
ultraviolet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet7 View Post



sure, laugh now

but 2012 is not that far away

the U S very well may get a blue-eyed, (semi) Christian, President that is not afraid to go after Evil-Doers.

__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet7 View Post
I live in Argentina, which though not as industrialised and not as heterogeneous racially, is similar to Brazil to an extent. In this part of the world, while middle and upper classes (in general white) like to think of themselves as "Europeans" or "Americans" (from the US), most people wouldn't read such a comment as racist. In fact paradoxically they wouldn't take it as being in any way related to them.
Interesting...well maybe this is a case where looking at it from an American perspective is causing me to misread things a bit. When I was in college, I did have a few friends who were foreign students from various Latin American countries and, unsurprisingly I guess, tended to be from very well-off backgrounds. And I noticed exactly what you're saying about their self-identification--that they tended to emphasize that they were 'pure European' or things to that effect. I always found that puzzling, and because I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that they meant "European as opposed to 'Hispanic' " rather than, say, "European as opposed to Peruvian/Salvadorean/etc.," I just assumed this was primarily a racial comment, that it was more or less a way of insisting "I am white" and that this was important to them for some reason. But perhaps it was meant strictly with reference to social hierarchies within their own countries, and nowhere else?
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #11
War Child
 
ultraviolet7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The End Of The World
Posts: 619
Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Interesting...well maybe this is a case where looking at it from an American perspective is causing me to misread things a bit. When I was in college, I did have a few friends who were foreign students from various Latin American countries and, unsurprisingly I guess, tended to be from very well-off backgrounds. And I noticed exactly what you're saying about their self-identification--that they tended to emphasize that they were 'pure European' or things to that effect. I always found that puzzling, and because I got the impression (perhaps wrongly) that they meant "European as opposed to 'Hispanic' " rather than, say, "European as opposed to Peruvian/Salvadorean/etc.," I just assumed this was primarily a racial comment, that it was more or less a way of insisting "I am white" and that this was important to them for some reason. But perhaps it was meant strictly with reference to social hierarchies within their own countries, and nowhere else?
It's a rather complicated issue. Latin American people, except perhaps native Latin Americans (meant as a "Native American" counterpart), in general don't have a clear identification with their countries further than pulling out flags when their national football teams play. Similarly to the US, these countries have grown on immigration, mainly from Europe, but differently from the US these immigrants, for a number of reasons have not set roots in these countries in the way immigrants to the US did. There was always a nostalgia in them, a desire to return to the homeland, possibly because these countries, while giving them opportunities never made them feel at home and never gave them anything to be proud of, something which of course they, as part of the society, didn't contribute much to, but naturally would never recognise.

This results in a lack of true identity and a desire to belong. In some way white Latin Americans are like adolescents: they don't know exactly who they are and want to be part of the "cool" group, which to them is not home but rather the first world. But then, while they revel in their first world fantasy (brand clothes, technology, etc.), they know, though they'd rather not, that they are still Peruvian, Brazilian, Argentine, etc. and that's how people in the first world see them. Maybe to Europeans and Americans this fact is not necessarily pejorative, but to the great majority of white Latin Americans it is, as a result of their own perception of their homeland. And this leads to the resentment part: "we want to be like them but they, with their policies don't let us".

About asserting their "whiteness", there is something to it because there is a strong racism in these countries, especially towards natives, probably because they remind them where they really come from. But then of course everybody, with typical first world political correctness will be utterly horrified at the mere idea of discrimination, though in the safety of their trusted circles will be nonchalantly deprecating the "negros de mierda" (literal translation: "fucking niggers").
__________________
ultraviolet7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,885
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
"This crisis was caused by the irrational behavior of white people with blue eyes, who thought they knew everything and now show they know nothing," Lula da Silva said after a meeting with the UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown in the country's capital of Brasilia.
Mr. President, it's true we're mostly white.

But some of us have brown or even green eyes.
__________________
Bluer White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 03:53 AM
An economic crisis not blamed on Jews
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 09:53 AM
Goldman - Sachs

and to a lessor degree Madoff

these are The Merchants of Manhattan
__________________
deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Harley.GirlU2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Larry Mullen Circle.
Posts: 5,349
Local Time: 02:53 PM
i can't believe that I'm brazilian.
__________________

__________________
Harley.GirlU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com