Brazilian President Blames Whites for Financial Crisis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ I actually have a colleague who wears brown contacts because she considers her naturally gray eyes "ugly" and I'd never tell her this, but they look every bit as phony as any other shade of colored contacts. I can maybe understand enjoying those as a 'fun' fashion accessory, but it seems the technology to realistically mimic the colors of natural irises is still lacking.

Uh, I would really warn her. Colored contacts are not to be worn for extended times as they are not as cellular as normal contacts. That can lead to very serious, non-treatable damages to the eyes.

Hmm, I don't understand what you mean by "cellular"...are you referring to permeability? It's not something I've thought much about, but actually I had the impression that there are multiple types of them (for different kinds of wear) available, because I wear (ordinary) contacts myself and whenever I go to the optician's, they've always got ads plastered everywhere for various types of colored contacts.

Yeah, I meant permeability. Looked it up and for "durchlässig" the dictionary gave me, among five other terms, permeability. When I searched for "luftdurchlässig", it gave me only cellular.
So much to dictionaries.

Maybe there are even colored contacts with high permeability. I have never heard of them, though. What I've heard is that permeability is rather low since the color takes much of it. Hence all those colored or fun contacts are recommended for up to a few hours, non-daily wearing over here, but never for normal wearing, i.e. ten to 14 hours each day.

Yolland, I wonder what makes your colleague think her gray eyes are "ugly." I've seen some beautiful gray eyes before.

I know several people who wear colour contacts exclusively, pretty much 24/7 except when sleeping and have been doing so for years, so I think there probably are ones that are okay or else they'd have had major problems by now.

Yolland, I wonder what makes your colleague think her gray eyes are "ugly."
I dunno...I assume same reason so many people feel their thin-straight or thick-curly hair, thick or thin eyebrows, narrow or full lips or whatever are "ugly" and in continuous need of 'concealing' modifications of various kinds. It's often easy enough to radically alter the appearance of those particular features without getting too high-tech, so I suppose that makes it easier to get into the mindset that your 'image' is far more exciting or appealing when you do so, to the point where it feels embarrassing or unwelcomely 'revealing' not to. It's not like I'm actually bothered when people do this, it's not in general harmful or anything; I just happen to think these colored contacts almost always look glaringly fake--which is fine if you more or less want that effect and see them like jewelry or something, but if someone thinks something that obviously fake looks 'better' than their natural appearance, that I don't get at all. So what if your eyes or hair or whatever happen not to be head-turningly riveting--most people's aren't, and that's not gonna make anyone respect or like you any more or less.

I know several people who wear colour contacts exclusively, pretty much 24/7 except when sleeping and have been doing so for years, so I think there probably are ones that are okay or else they'd have had major problems by now.

Yeah, maybe and hopefully they are not going for the cheap ones.
Being reckless with contacts goes well for so long. But since your eyes are taking the oxygen right out of the air that hits them contacts with low permeability are very dangerous. After extended times the eye will react to the lack of oxygen and blood vessels will form that now deliver the oxygen. However, the vessels will stiffen your pupil or grow into it. When the pupil stiffens it will be unable to focus in our out, and in extreme cases can lead to blindness. And it's non-treatable.
So these contacts might be special ones with high permeability. I haven't seen them over here, but our opticians don't sell those fun contacts either.

Back
Top Bottom