Bozeman City requires your Interference password... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #1
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:26 AM
Bozeman City requires your Interference password...

...BIG BROTHER...

Quote:
"Please list any and all, current personal or business websites, web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.," the City form states. There are then three lines where applicants can list the Web sites, their user names and log-in information and their passwords.
Bozeman City job requirement raises privacy concerns - Montana's News Station - Fair. Accurate. To the Point. -

Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:26 AM
Wtf? That can't be legal. At least I'd hope not.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I will give out my web sites (after all, anyone can do a WHOIS lookup and see what I own, get all my contact info there and I'm obligated by ICANN to provide it and update it yearly), but my passwords? Seriously they've got to be joking. If I gave out my passphrases for my current work related accounts I'd be in such deep shit...
Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 AM
don't tell anybody

but my password is: shallow
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Are they mad?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 10:26 AM
oookay. No way I'd ever do that.

Isn't this in violation with the privacy laws?
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 05:26 AM

oh this is too funny.

yet i can see more of this type of shit coming in the future.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Refugee

i wonder if they'd want my username and passwords for my online bank accounts
Old 06-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Refugee

Yeah, how silly.

BUT -- if you do work on your employers or government computer, and you consent to monitoring, you've practically given them all that info anyway. Maybe this just speeds up the process.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Refugee

oops
Old 06-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:26 AM
I always assume anything I say on a company phone

or view online through a company computer may be monitored.

I bring in my own computers, but when on the company servers, even with my iPhone thought their wi-fi, I assume they could be checking up
Old 06-20-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I always assume anything I say on a company phone

or view online through a company computer may be monitored.

I bring in my own computers, but when on the company servers, even with my iPhone thought their wi-fi, I assume they could be checking up
This is the main reason why I have an iPhone in addition to the (free, unlimited) BB Bold provided by work.

I don't want their servers storing my e-mails, text messages and who knows what else.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Bozeman Montana Local News

City apologizes, stops asking for Internet passwords

published on Friday, June 19, 2009 10:14 PM MDT

By AMANDA RICKER Chronicle Staff Writer

The city of Bozeman has stopped asking job applicants for their log-in information to online groups and social-networking sites like Facebook and MySpace.

However, the city has only suspended, pending “a more comprehensive evaluation,” its practice of reviewing information found on password-protected sites, City Manager Chris Kukulski said, leaving open the possibility that it might find other ways to look at the sites.

The city ended the policy as of noon Friday because the city “appears to have exceeded that which is acceptable to our community,” Kukulski said. “We appreciate the concern many citizens have expressed regarding this practice and apologize for the negative impact this issue is having on the city of Bozeman.”

Acting Mayor Jeff Krauss said he expects the Bozeman City Commission will be reviewing the city’s hiring manual line by line.

“We might want to see what other interesting things are in there that we might have to address,” he said.

As for finding other ways to look at social-networking sites as part of evaluating a job candidate’s suitability for a city job, Kukulski defended that approach.

“We will continue to do our full due diligence to review any public information that we can get our hands on to research potential employees,” he said.

News of the hiring practice this week was picked up by media outlets and bloggers around the world, triggering an outpouring of e-mails and phone calls to the city.

As part of routine background checks, the city had, until Friday, asked job applicants to provide their usernames and passwords for their social-networking sites. And, city officials said the city had been doing it for years.

The waiver form that the city asked applicants to sign stated, “Please list any and all current personal or business Web sites, Web pages or memberships on any Internet-based chat rooms, social clubs or forums, to include, but not limited to: Facebook, Google, Yahoo, YouTube.com, MySpace, etc.”

Kukulski insisted Friday that only applicants who were offered a job, with the condition that they pass background checks, were asked to sign the waiver. And, he said choosing not to disclose log-in information did not hurt candidates’ chances of getting the job.

Krauss, who as deputy mayor assumes mayoral duties while Mayor Kaaren Jacobson is out of town, placed the issue of using the Internet for city background checks on the agenda for the commission’s regular Monday night meeting.

In the meantime, Kukulski said, any records of previous candidates’ log-in information will remain sealed in a secure file cabinet in City Hall.

“We have no indication whatsoever that anybody’s information has been compromised in that regard,” he said.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:26 AM
What a bunch of f-ups.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #15
Blue Crack Distributor

Similarly, I read this on Gawker last night. To what extent should employers be able to dictate our online behaviour, as long as we're not commenting directly on our workplaces? The entire memo stating AP's policy on social networking sites is posted here, I can't c&p it because it's an image: Gawker - AP Tells Reporters To Muzzle Facebook Friends - Associated Press The title is kind of deceptive; when you read the memo, it applies to all staff, not just reporters.

AP Tells Reporters To Muzzle Facebook Friends

Someone sent us the Associated Press' guidelines for staff social networking and, in keeping with company tradition, they're on the paranoid side. You should probably read them, since basically everyone in the world must now follow them.

The AP's Facebook and Twitter policies are less draconian than, say, Bloomberg's, but that's not saying much. They do sound, on the whole, reasonable, until you stop and ponder a few of the specifics.

For example, the organization says every comment on a staffer's Facebook profile should meet AP guidelines, because who can tell the difference between commenters and the original author??

"It's a good idea to monitor your profile page to make sure material posted by others doesn't violate AP standards; any such material should be deleted."

And you, office supply assistant in the back! This applies to you too!

"We cannot expect people outside the AP to know whether a posting on Facebook was made by someone who takes pictures, processes payroll checks or fixes satellite dishes."

Also, remember to distribute links fairly to the hundreds of members, and always be selling:

"Link to member and customer sites instead and try to vary the links to spread the traffic around... It's a good idea to reference the AP in the promo language, i.e. Just how much geek can be chic? Test your fashion IQ with this interactive game (AP): AP News : News : Times Record News"

Finally, no craven political posturing on social networks. That's what emails are for!