Borders files for bankruptcy - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #46
has a

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
let's bulldoze that shit and plant trees.
Or lay down some hardwood inside and make them youth rec centers.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #47
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You've gotta remember though, you're paying for content, not the medium. You can buy a stack of paper the size of a book for a few dollars. You can buy a blank CD for less than a dollar. But that's not really what these people are selling. They're selling content and what went into creating that content. The view that "well, there's no physical product being sold, so you've got next to no costs" always seemed a little short sighted to me.
oh absolutely, it just sucks that there's not much savings. plus you can't even sell an etext (or whatever people call them) back. personally i think the whole college textbook thing needs a major overhaul, but that's for another thread.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
are you serious?

take a look at the map in a high school text book. there are countries on it that no longer exist.

literature books, math books, even some basic science books? fine... but of all things, history books are the ones most in need of becoming more fluid. maybe some texts that are specifically aimed at a certain period in time don't need to be changed very often, but we're talking more about college courses at that point, not k-12.
Maybe we're talking at cross purposes but yes, I am serious, or I wouldn't have posted.

Sounds to me that you are talking about books that are a good deal more than five or ten years out of date. And indeed it really does depend what period of history you are talking about. I don't live in the US, but I'm picturing some grade-school-level social studies text giving the kids an overview of US, European, Asian and ancient history and I'm not seeing what is likely to change in a short timespan.

If the kids are still using texts that discuss the Eastern Bloc (and/or the Balkans; any other missing countries that I've neglected?), well, I stand corrected.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
as for CDs? never heard of 'em.
To this day, I still buy actual CD's. I remain ignorant of how iTunes works. I've never touched it.

I prefer buying CD's over anything digital.

How else can you flip through the artwork/photo-laden booklet inside the jewel case?
Old 02-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
Regarding textbooks being e-books - it is really hard on your eyes to stare at a computer screen for hours on end daily. If I had to read all my legal materials online, I'd probably have gone blind. And I think that it also encourages printing of paper in a wasteful way. So I am not entirely sure that a total switch is in order.

I also tried to read a book on my iPhone and couldn't handle it for more than 4 minutes.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #51
45:33

Local Time: 09:39 PM
why anyone would chose to read textbooks or any kind of books on a computer is beyond me.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
why anyone would chose to read textbooks or any kind of books on a computer is beyond me.
For the same reason you don't trudge to your local library to find out who the first political leader of Singapore was.

Electronic publication = easier access to information and a certain amount of levelling of the playing field.

Why are you posting on a band-specific message board thread about books when you could be organizing a group of U2 fans in your local area who are passionate about books and who also meet nightly to discuss them?

Let's just be clear here.

Less than 20 years ago, people were sitting in their bedrooms, spending hours listening to the radio for specific songs to then perfectly record in duplicate onto bands of plastic, in an extremely specific order, to give to cherished friends or lovers. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds in today's context?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #53
45:33

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Looking for Singapore's first leader and reading a novel are two very different things.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Looking for Singapore's first leader and reading a novel are two very different things.
Let's say you're reading Shakespeare or a Victorian novel and a couple of words on a page pop up you don't recognize. In several taps and about a minute elapsed you could understand them in context, or you could spend 10 minutes elapsed looking them all up in a dictionary.

I understand e-readers are a bit clunky at the moment, but looking at technology, I wouldn't find it unreasonable in 15 years to purchase one that resembles a paper book with blank pages, and whatever publication you're reading downloads itself wirelessly and conforms to the size of the device you hold in your hand.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 AM   #55
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:39 AM
We've found when using e-textbooks as part of a pilot program here that about 45% of the students in the pilot wound up printing out most or all of the readings (which the e-text reader we're testing allows at no extra cost), as opposed to primarily using their laptop, tablet or desktop. And the more advanced the course level, the higher that percentage was. Still, the e-text is a moneysaver when the entire class uses it--each student pays a materials fee, typically ~60% of the print-textbook price, then gets unlimited access to the text until they graduate--and a majority of the students (around 60%) indicated that price is ultimately their top priority when choosing a textbook format, so that only around a quarter of them felt they'd rather have had the print-textbook despite its higher price.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

That's very interesting insight, Yolland.

2011 is going to see the market flooded with tablets. The way we live, work, and relax is going to be very different. Your doctor will be doing the rounds with a tablet, your professor will be reading notes from a tablet during a lecture, and your auto mechanic will be checking off boxes on an Android tablet as he does your inspection.

I have a feeling many of those with a distaste for backlit LCD screens will get used to it, and e-ink will continue to evolve so that your Kindle looks much more like a paper book.

Even 4 years ago, my 50-something mother thought flatscreen monitors were flickery and caused eyestrain, now she's thrown out her CRT screen and has a laptop she loves.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:47 AM   #57
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

it's funny you mention doctors, canadiens. back home, my doctor does use a tablet and has for a while now (at least a couple years, though i forget exactly how long). it is so convenient. the nurse comes in, records my vitals on a laptop, then my doctor reads it off her tablet. plus it's a convenient way to see things about prescriptions, for example. i've got chronic migraines and have been on several things to try to fix it. so she can easily see what i've already taken so i don't take something again i already know doesn't work. a couple taps later she's looking up side effects for a new one, making sure it doesn't clash with anything else i'm taking, etc. no having to leave the room for 15 minutes asking other doctors if they know anything about some medication, thumbing through books, or going back to her office to use google. hell, she was also then able to tell me how much said medication would cost at the leading pharmacies.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 AM   #58
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
I just talked to a friend of mine who works at a Borders and he said that because of the legal requirements of bankruptcy, the company wasn't able to inform the managers of the closing stores until Wednesday--the same morning the story broke. So there were numerous incidents of soon-to-be-ex-managers finding out in the form of a local reporter who'd just read articles like the one above, calling them bright and early to ask, "Hey, do you have any comment on your store closing?" Then when corporate did contact the managers, they said, "...and please refer any media inquiries to headquarters--don't speak to them yourselves." I'm sure many of those managers were well aware there was a high likelihood their stores would close, but still...ouch. Talk about an unpleasant reminder of the impersonality of chain retailing.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:39 AM
E-ink is much easier on your eyes than a computer or LCD screen. I can read for hours on a Nook and it doesn't bother me at all.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #60
War Child

This really irritates me.

At a time when none of the local music stores were carrying the PG-era Genesis boxset, Borders had it. Same with the Movie box.

They had things that other stores didn't have, and now who's going to carry those things? Will I have to do all my shopping on Amazon? What if I actually want to walk into a physical store and buy copies, rather than order online?

This is so irritating.