Borders files for bankruptcy - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:37 AM
Aw, screw you guys, Borders is the best shop to waste an hour in. Also, the public toilets are always full of informative graffiti.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:07 PM
I love just being in bookstores and hanging out there..there's something about it. And the library, I've been going to the library once a week since the snow stopped and I love it. It's been great relaxation for me. I don't have an ereader yet but I admit I'd love to have one because I just don't have the space for books and I love the idea of being able to carry big clunky hardcover books in my purse or tote. I would read more.

I see from that list that the Borders I go to is closing and I'm sorry for the job losses too. I never knew how it survived anyway because it's just down the street from a B&N. If they go out of business that will really be the end

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #33
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
Couldn't disagree more. Soft cover books? Sure, they're cheap and unsightly, but a nice collection of hardcover books beats digital copies any day. Even more so when you're talking about books with any sort of illustrations. I regularly buy hardcover photography books to add to the collection.

I agree about CDs though. Havent bought one in years, but instead buy vinyl. Again, it's about having a nice, aesthetically pleasing collection for me

Canadiens1131 makes a great point though. I almost always order online. It's cheaper, books are almost always in stock, and you dont have to worry about dust jackets being damaged from people flipping though them.
But there is one store in Toronto that is awesome to buy books at. It's called BMV. They buy books in bulk (by the pound, i believe) from the bigger stores and sell them at a huge discount. In the past month, I've picked up 3 or 4 books for around $20-$30 each that usually retail for $80-$100. Selection can be limited, but when you find something good, it's like hitting the jackpot
the aesthetic value is obviously something that will never go completely away. and, yes, there is something about holding a book in your hands vs. reading it off a smart phone.

as someone who commutes three hours a day, changing subway lines three times just to get on a train, being able to read off of my droid is incredibly more convenient than carrying a book around with me, so i've embraced digital reading whole heartedly. i still have some hardcover books in my apartment... i just get more reading done when using the kindle app because i can bring it with me anywhere.

i'm also looking forward to a time when school text books, from elementary school through college, go digital. it's silly to have 10 year old history books in classrooms, and the cost of constantly reprinting new texts to meet an ever changing world is incredibly high. e-books would solve this issue.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #34
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
I found that Borders in Australia initially were great, in that the range they had was when new really spectacular compared to what we were used to getting from A&R/Dymocks etc, and the way they kind of sold themselves, what they sold and how they sold it, was far superior. Of course Amazon then trumped it, and I don't know if it was directly related to that, or just that Borders in Australia changed hands (which it did), but it seemed to revert to becoming more of just a megastore - loads of stock, but pushing a comparably limited range to before, and pushing it in a tacky megastore-ish way.

Have you ever been to Kinokuniya in Galleries Victoria, on George St? Huge store, but incredible range and it still has a good vibe.
I loved all the Kinokuniyas I've been in. In fact they remind me a lot of what Borders was like before they made the mistake of trying to be all things to all people, which started happening roughly around 2000. Page One is another great E/SE Asia-based chain. Every Dymocks I've been in though was pretty much a joke, more like an airport bookstore in depth of inventory. But I've never been to Australia or New Zealand, unfortunately. Sometimes a chain can be surprisingly different from one country to the next.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i'm also looking forward to a time when school text books, from elementary school through college, go digital. it's silly to have 10 year old history books in classrooms, and the cost of constantly reprinting new texts to meet an ever changing world is incredibly high. e-books would solve this issue.
This I can get behind
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

I pretty much buy all my books off of Amazon.com. And I despise e-books; physical books all the way!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #37
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:07 AM
aww shit. i don't care either way about borders (but a lot of places are going to lose an anchor tenant here), but the news that this is possibly going fuck whitcoulls is a shame.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #38
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
that would be awesome, though you know they're still going to charge through the nose for them. i took a class last semester where i could get an etext, it was still $80 for the book, versus $100 for an actual book. ripoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
aww shit. i don't care either way about borders (but a lot of places are going to lose an anchor tenant here), but the news that this is possibly going fuck whitcoulls is a shame.
yeah, though their new policy for gift cards is ridiculous. you have to spend twice as much as the card is worth to be able to redeem it. so if it's a $50 gift card, you have to spend $100 of your own money (for a total of $150) to be able to use it.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #39
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes
that would be awesome, though you know they're still going to charge through the nose for them. i took a class last semester where i could get an etext, it was still $80 for the book, versus $100 for an actual book. ripoff
Hopefully when this hits more colleges some clever young lad develops bookster...
Old 02-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:07 AM
I don't quite see why history books, of all things, would be a problem. I get that perspectives on history change, but not that fast. And certainly not at the level delivered to school kids.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
I don't quite see why history books, of all things, would be a problem. I get that perspectives on history change, but not that fast. And certainly not at the level delivered to school kids.
are you serious?

take a look at the map in a high school text book. there are countries on it that no longer exist.

literature books, math books, even some basic science books? fine... but of all things, history books are the ones most in need of becoming more fluid. maybe some texts that are specifically aimed at a certain period in time don't need to be changed very often, but we're talking more about college courses at that point, not k-12.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #42
has a

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
aww shit. i don't care either way about borders (but a lot of places are going to lose an anchor tenant here)
This is my biggest issue with Borders shutting down stores. I am sick of seeing the empty hulks of chainstores that were thrown up all over the U.S. in the last decade.

Municipalities bend over and lube up to attract stores to their cities. They get some tax benefit and infrastructure development from it, but how do you qualify/quantify the damage to a neighborhood/city when these big box stores go empty for years?

In the Twin Cities, we have plenty of these things sitting empty. We are just starting to see the closed Mervyns stores start to be reoccupied. It's been more than 5 years in some cases.

I hope this leads to more smaller stores and such. I don't use them, but I gladly welcome the Red Box DVD kiosks here and there versus the Blockbuster Video stores that are now going away.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

I agree with Headache re. textbooks going digital. My understanding (or at least what I was told from a prof who has co-written textbooks) is that textbooks require a new edition every 3(?) years. Sucks to be a college student with a bunch of texts that are on their last year before the new rev is published because you can't really sell them back unless you trick someone. It's so much easier and cost efficient to use e-books. I think several of our profs have switched over, and somehow have licensing figured out such that the students can access the material via the online course portal, so they don't even need to always purchase their own e-book.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
This is my biggest issue with Borders shutting down stores. I am sick of seeing the empty hulks of chainstores that were thrown up all over the U.S. in the last decade.

let's bulldoze that shit and plant trees.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhanadaRhodes View Post
that would be awesome, though you know they're still going to charge through the nose for them. i took a class last semester where i could get an etext, it was still $80 for the book, versus $100 for an actual book. ripoff.
You've gotta remember though, you're paying for content, not the medium. You can buy a stack of paper the size of a book for a few dollars. You can buy a blank CD for less than a dollar. But that's not really what these people are selling. They're selling content and what went into creating that content. The view that "well, there's no physical product being sold, so you've got next to no costs" always seemed a little short sighted to me.