Bono on "Huckabee" Saturday night - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canedge View Post
Panther leave the race examples off this discussion. Everyone is tired of Americas history.
Okay, what subject do you deem worthy of analogy?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 04:17 PM
what point are you trying to make?

Nevermind. Got it.

'tis better to stand up and say what's true all the time, or to make bed-fellows with people whose values you sharply disagree with for the common good

Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #78
Refugee

I think it is better to make bed-fellows when lives are at stake.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #79
Refugee

I still think it was fancy editing so that FOX news could set a tone.

The interview is wonderful and well stated. Huckabee even asked some very good questions, not the typical ones. That last statement is clearly not finished. There must be more to it.

Its not about Bono speaking to Huckabee, its what people like FOX news do with what was said.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #80
Refugee

Yeah the last ten seconds of the part are dodgy. The fake audience noise is really audible.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:17 PM
U2 Frontman BONO Endorses Gingrich, Compares him to Lincoln; lots of hits.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Old 12-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Bono's a conservative now, you guys. What do you think about that? Better burn your fan cards and go listen to Radiohead.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #84
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassandra View Post
That last statement is clearly not finished. There must be more to it.
I have the cut footage where Bono calls Rick Perry a fuckwad.

I can't share it, or Rupert Murdoch and Roger Ailes will have me killed.

But it's pretty awesome.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #85
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassandra View Post
That last statement is clearly not finished. There must be more to it.
I'm not sure what he could've said after that to change the meaning of that. Other than "JK! I want you dead."
Old 12-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #86
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:17 PM
I was missing the Daily Show thread, so this is filling the void!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #87
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Take, for example, Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong.
And people paid attention. Days later, Truman sent the National Guard to the South for the first time since the Civil War to protect those children.

The debate rages on -- did Armstrong do more for American society by being a family-oriented, white-friendly entertainer, who smiled onstage but had to sleep in school gymnasiums on tour because Southern hotels wouldn't let him enter, or did he do more by correcting the President and speaking the truth plainly to the press?
You stopped just short of realizing an important thing here tho Panther...Armstrong's currency as a celebrity included the rapport he had built up with "the enemy". Had he not done that, noone would have paid attention to him. He leveraged his position for good. Bono's currency as a celebrity isn't much different.

You can retain your soul and your street cred with your people (or, fans) all you want...but if you want the majority of the world to pay attention when you speak, you have to have attempted to bridge the gap between you and them beforehand. In so doing, there will always be people who will call you a sell out/uncle Tom, etc. That's how regressive minds work.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:06 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Nick, your posts indicate that you are an intelligent person, so I assume you actually see further than your I'm-willing-to-debate-Bono's-methods-therefore-I-hate-him comment suggests. Obviously, I do not hate Bono (in fact, I love him). As I've now stated twice, I greatly respect his activism and his commitment to it.

You are quite clearly convinced that Bono is responsible for the saving of African lives. I infer that you know a lot more about the One Foundation (or whatever it's called) than I do, so you may be right about that. I hope you are. My own feeling is that it is not Bono per se that is responsible for the foundation's success as much as it is the dozens of (frankly, anonymous) men and women who have dedicated their lives and careers to activism. Whether or not the foundation has actually saved lives, I do not know, but yes, I suspect that is possible, indirectly at least. As for George Bush's advocacy of aid... I wouldn't necessarily take that at face value. These politicians know exactly how to "use" people like Bono for their photo-ops and headlines (Bono, of course, is well aware of this). For all we know, Bush had already mandated the aid offered and he wanted the Bono photo-op first by which to appeal to the younger, more "liberal" voters.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make above -- you seem to have glossed over it -- is whether 'tis better to stand up and say what's true all the time, or to make bed-fellows with people whose values you sharply disagree with for the common good. I can see the benefit of both approaches from the celebrity's perspective.

Take, for example, Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong. A black man born in turn-of-the-century New Orleans, he knew of no other way of life -- even to his last month alive -- than to have a white man looking out for him, to keep him safe. That was his business philosophy. Armstrong saw himself as an entertainer and not an artist, and therefore he was content to indulge whites' racist stereotypes onstage and in film. He was called out for it by the generation of blacks that followed him, and even his friends (like Billie Holiday) said he was a(n Uncle) Tom. So successful was he at not offending middle-class whites that the State Department, at the height of the Cold War, considered sending Armstrong to the USSR as a Goodwill Ambassador (i.e., he was a "safe" black entertainer). Then, in 1957, after the "Little Rock Nine" schoolchildren were attacked and assaulted for attempting to integrate their high school, Armstrong suddenly said it straight and called the President of the United States "two-faced" and lots of other names. Out of nowhere, Armstrong called it like it was. And people paid attention. Days later, Truman sent the National Guard to the South for the first time since the Civil War to protect those children.

The debate rages on -- did Armstrong do more for American society by being a family-oriented, white-friendly entertainer, who smiled onstage but had to sleep in school gymnasiums on tour because Southern hotels wouldn't let him enter, or did he do more by correcting the President and speaking the truth plainly to the press?

I don't know, but the fact that I'm willing to consider such issues doesn't mean I hate Bono.
I don't think your analogies are apt, or appropriate, and I'll take you at your word that you don't hate Bono. But I believe you're absolutely wrong on this issue. No reasonable person who watched what Bush did in Africa, or even saw his persuasiveness in the interview w/Huckabee, can conclude that Bono should not have spoken w/those men. Bush's motivations for meeting w/Bono are irrelevant, I'm sure he was "using" him to a certain extent, just as Bono was using Bush. Their motivations don't matter, what matters is the result.

In any event, Bono and Huckabee agree on this issue, and Huckabee has been active w/the ONE Campaign...so why shouldn't they talk? Under those circumstances, it would be unusual if Bono didn't talk to him? Bono shouldn't try to reach Huckabee's audience? People who are likely to hear and respond to Bono's call to action on AIDS as a Christian mission? Bono's supposed to diss the guy because he might disagree on some other issues? Please. We all disagree on things...but isn't it about coming together on the things we can agree on? If people refused to speak and work w/others because they might disagree on some issues not a whole lot would get done. Do you agree w/everyone you work with? It was absolutely appropriate he went on there, and in fact would have been odd not to.

I'm sorry, but in this instance your way is wrong and Bonos is right.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:11 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel D. View Post
Bono's a conservative now, you guys. What do you think about that?
Not sure if you're being glib or not, but this is probably true in many ways. At least he's more conservative than he used to be.

You haven't heard Bono, who sits on the board of a private equity firm, say anything about Occupy Wall Street. And you won't.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #90
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison
U2 Frontman BONO Endorses Gingrich, Compares him to Lincoln; lots of hits.
U2 frontman BONO unveils new tour concept: "I'll fly over the crowd on a giant red elephant; sing lots of hits."

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote