Bono Interview

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish I'd be able to tune out his politics completely because that is what really tarnishes my opinion of him. Yuck.

Frankly I find it refreshing that there's a public figure willing to give credit where credit is due, regardless of politics.

Oh I agree with you on that. It's just when I read "Focus on the Family" my skin crawled.

Bono seems to be the sort to look for common ground with who ever he happens to be talking to, especially when it's in the service of causes he cares deeply about.

Some people see that as "fake" or whatever. I don't. (Not least because I tend to do the same thing :) )

Bono seems to be the sort to look for common ground with who ever he happens to be talking to, especially when it's in the service of causes he cares deeply about.

Some people see that as "fake" or whatever. I don't. (Not least because I tend to do the same thing :) )

Nor do I, I think more should do so. Our current partisan environment wouldn't be so poisonous.

Will read the interview later, but yes..If more people took that approach we'd all be much better off. Disagree with people without being rude, insulting, and arrogant. And don't see people in black and white terms all the time.

Bono gives credit where credit is due. I understand that. Still it used to bug me a lot that he''s praising Bush so much, I had a hard time accepting it and it makes him an easy target for critics. He has spoken in the past about still being critical about most of the stuff that happened under the Bush administration but at the same time he found it hard to criticize Bush publicly because of all the things he's done for Africa.

I really try to understand Bono's work from the bipartisan point of view, even though it's hard sometimes. I admire his approach and I think he's right about not wanting to exclude anyone in the political spectrum, right or left.

Still, I'm pretty sure (and hope) that his private political opinions are somewhat different.

I look at it this way: if Bono had, like so many on the left might have preferred, stayed the hell away from Bush, then the simple truth of the matter would be that millions of Africans would not have gotten the aid they did. If Bono only met with people he and the mainstream left agreed with, then his efforts would not have had as big an impact on those most in need. Bono was and is absolutely right to look beyond political/power/religious lines for help here - the cause is greater than political or religious differences.

I'm certainly no fan of Bush (I think my record here will confirm that ;)), but Bono is absolutely right to praise him for his contributions to poverty relief in Africa. And I sure as hell am glad he didn't shy away from working with Bush because of what it might do to his image.

I think it's both reasonable and appropriate to recognize a person's contribution to a cause. Doesn't mean that Bono is praising Bush generally. The Vatican is probably most deserving of praise here and extending them that courtesy wouldn't mean you approve of the Church generally.

As an aside, the debt relief work that was done during and in conjunction with Jubilee 2000 was very important and very timely. But the comments to that article to the effect that Bono & Bush saved a continent of people are ridiculous. I'd invite people who feel that way to go down to Africa and spend some time there. Hell a couple of days would be sufficient to disabuse them of that notion.

Bush just got back from Zambia, he and Laura were helping renovate a cancer clinic there I believe. He often goes to Africa to do things like that, they love him over there. The George W Bush Institute does a lot of good around the world, especially in Africa.

1040047_593903747320869_1578998554_o.jpg

So many people really vilify him still and think he's evil and its such a load of shit. I have mixed feelings on his presidency, but regardless I think he's a great man and a wonderful human being. I also really appreciate the work he does with Wounded Warrior. He does a lot of biking and always does the marathon bike races for Wounded Warrior charities. :up:

So many people really vilify him still and think he's evil and its such a load of shit. I have mixed feelings on his presidency, but regardless I think he's a great man and a wonderful human being.

I do know there were and are people that describe him as 'evil' and I think it's an overreach but you have to understand he did something no other president in our time has ever done, which is wage a war of choice, one of THE most pointless wars this country has ever been involved in. A war that even the right is now criticizing(mostly because the letter changed from R to D but let's forget about that). There were many many other reasons like Katrina and whatnot, but the truth is I won't call him evil, but I will say he was one of the worst presidents and truly one of the most misguided.

I think it's a bit ironic that he does work for Wounded Warriors, yet he seems to have no regrets about the Iraq War. Those men and women are injured because of him. It was a war that was completely pointless and has hurt America economically and on the international scene. I hope someday Bush finds it within himself to publically admit he was wrong and apologizes, but that's all wishful thinking.

Bush just got back from Zambia, he and Laura were helping renovate a cancer clinic there I believe. He often goes to Africa to do things like that, they love him over there. The George W Bush Institute does a lot of good around the world, especially in Africa.

So many people really vilify him still and think he's evil and its such a load of shit. I have mixed feelings on his presidency, but regardless I think he's a great man and a wonderful human being. I also really appreciate the work he does with Wounded Warrior. He does a lot of biking and always does the marathon bike races for Wounded Warrior charities. :up:

Of course he had to go to Africa! And he had to suck up to all veterans he had ignored for so long! He wouldn't want to be described in the history books as the man who wages wars for oil and the man who threw America into severe debts!
It's all propaganda!

Of course he had to go to Africa! And he had to suck up to all veterans he had ignored for so long! He wouldn't want to be described in the history books as the man who wages wars for oil and the man who threw America into severe debts!
It's all propaganda!

I'm not the biggest fan of President Obama's presidency, but I would not claim he is evil. The same President Bush.

I think that if we really want to move past the partisan morass, we really should be careful not think we can look deep into a person's heart and know if they are "good" or "evil". We should see good deeds like rebuilding a cancer clinic as what it is - a good deed.

I'd say the North Korean leaders (the three Kims) are evil. Bush was certainly misguided and clueless.

It's all propaganda!

How the hell is it propaganda? He's been doing his charity work largely off the radar, it's not all over the news, no one talks about it. I happen to follow his facebook page, judge me all you want, and he posted a few pictures. As a man (perhaps to a fault) driven by his faith, I have a hard time believing his efforts to not be genuine, but rather behind a more sinister motive. But I can tell you're extremely irrational and partisan towards Bush so it doesn't matter what I say because you wouldn't possibly reconsider. :shrug: I don't know what I was thinking posting about something positive Bush did on FYM...:doh:

But I can tell you're extremely irrational and partisan towards Bush so it doesn't matter what I say because you wouldn't possibly reconsider. :shrug: I don't know what I was thinking posting about something positive Bush did on FYM...:doh:

I'm not saying the man is completely evil, he made dumb decisions with big consequences and now he must set them straight, otherwise the Republican party will lose voters. Or he will lose credibility within the Republican Party... So yes, it's self propaganda! I can imagine him looking into his heart and being shocked at what he caused and how the world looks at him. His actions were rather severe. That doesn't mean that these actions weren't driven by feelings of power and wealth. That's a dangerous combination.

Call me irrational, but first explain Bush's quotes like: "if you're not with us, you're against us". (I paid tax for that too!) States who are friends and trade partners of the US who are pointed at as terrorists like the taliban if they choose not to fight with him (the bashing of France and the boycot of French wine)? Explain the The Hague Invasion treaty which deeply offended me and my fellow countrymen? Explain prisoners in Guantanamo Bay still waiting for their trials while some of them might not even be guilty of terrorism; isn't the western world proud of fair trial and the recognition of human rights for prisoners?
Or are you the irrational one yourself for thinking that Bush is a popular man in the (western) world?

I'm not saying the man is completely evil, he made dumb decisions with big consequences and now he must set them straight, otherwise the Republican party will lose voters. Or he will lose credibility within the Republican Party...

The Republican Party and the American public in general couldn't care less about what George Bush is doing these days. He has virtually no political influence anymore, so I'm not sure why you think anything he does will win or lose the Republicans any votes, or cost him credibility. The only reason for him to set things straight is for his own conscience at this point, and I think he's pretty comfortable there.

The Republican Party and the American public in general couldn't care less about what George Bush is doing these days. He has virtually no political influence anymore, so I'm not sure why you think anything he does will win or lose the Republicans any votes, or cost him credibility...

Because of the mistakes and decisions made by him... After all he used to be the main man of the Republican Party.

Right. But you're claiming that he has to set things straight now or it will cost the Republican party votes, but that's simply not the case, because no one cares what he's up to.

The Republican Party and the American public in general couldn't care less about what George Bush is doing these days. He has virtually no political influence anymore, so I'm not sure why you think anything he does will win or lose the Republicans any votes, or cost him credibility. The only reason for him to set things straight is for his own conscience at this point, and I think he's pretty comfortable there.
:up:
Well said.

Back
Top Bottom