Bono confronts Obama, America on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Celebration

The Fly
I've seen a few mentions regarding Bono's mentioning of "the Palestinian dream" during tonight's set and thought it deserved its own thread.

I was there and I work in politics in DC and can assure you this was a very bold and controversial remark considering the setting. I had seen the rehearsal video and noted the Palestinian mention. Today, there was a long pause before he went there because Bono knows he was pushing the envelope.

This was significant because so few in DC and elsewhere in the US, particularly in the church, bother to think critically about the situation. Frankly, we prefer not to think about it. The Palestinians are on the back of the international bus, so to speak.

I could offer lots of commentary but my point is to get us as U2 fans to ask ourselves why Bono would use the occassion to raise this issue. Whether you consider yourself to be "pro-Israeli" or "pro-Palestinian" the current trajectory for both sides, and the United States, is misery, destruction and bitterness - terrific recruiting tools for terrorists.

If this is a season for change, that means debating ideas thoughtfully ... few topics are more important for us to debate. Thanks to Bono for using his platform to make us uncomfortable ...

I guess I don't really see any controversy here. If the point of what one is saying is about peace and unity and living as one, etc etc etc, if you're going to mention an ongoing conflict/war, of course you're going to mention both sides.

And I don't think it tells the whole story to say that Bono only mentioned Israel in the rehearsal footage we saw/heard. Did he do everything word for word at the rehearsal? Did Biden get a shout-out at rehearsal as well?

What am I missing? Or am I just tired of overanalyzing everything that comes out of Bono's mouth, musical notes or words? (and if I am, boy is it going to be a looooooooooong year.)

what palestinian dream? to wipe Israel off the face of the map...:|

Just like the American dream is to rule the Middle East?

Oh wait, that's right, governments don't always reflect the views of the citizens of their country.

Ok, I made a bit of a overstatement, but there is much anti-israeli sentiment in that country. Not to mention an endless supply of people willing to lob mortars and missles into isreal. Ive seen isreal and palestine before. It aint pretty.

Financeguy -

You remember on the Vertigo tour how between Pride and Streets he'd talk about "... not just an American dream, but an African dream" etc etc?

That's what he did here. An African dream, an Israeli dream, (PAUSE FILLED WITH POLITICAL CONTROVERSY) a Palestinian dream.

That's all it was.

I'm personally glad he mentioned it, albeit in passing, as he was making a very crucial point - we shouldn't forget the people suffering in the world (he mentioned Africa too) while we in the West celebrate, and we should respect their wish (the civilians, not the governments) for peace too.

That's what he did here. An African dream, an Israeli dream, (PAUSE FILLED WITH POLITICAL CONTROVERSY) a Palestinian dream.

That's all it was.

I have to confess that during the pause, I was shouting at the tv "SAY IT! SAY IT!"

And then I cheered when he did. Not out of some hope that Israel would be "wiped away" but because there are two sides to every story, and both sides must be heard.

I have to confess that during the pause, I was shouting at the tv "SAY IT! SAY IT!"

And then I cheered when he did. Not out of some hope that Israel would be "wiped away" but because there are two sides to every story, and both sides must be heard.

:yes: Same here, as no one else was alluding to it...

What's interesting to me is that this mild statement is deemed controversial in DC. It does seem to jive with what I suspected. It's interesting to get the perspective of the OP on this.

Me, too!! :reject:

Not to turn this into another Israel/Gaza discussion, but I don't know how anyone can honestly say that. Palestine want to wipe Israel off the map? Don't you watch the news?

Either way, governments don't always reflect the views of the people.

I'm glad he said it.

And if people felt uncomfortable hearing it, well then they should feel uncomfortable.

Exactly. This is what Bono does.

I'm glad he said it.

And if people felt uncomfortable hearing it, well then they should feel uncomfortable.

He did the same thing when trying to bring peace to Northern Ireland.
He held hands with both of them, never taking a side.. for peace.

This is the only way it will happen in this conflict with Israel and the Palestinians. I'm not saying that Bono will do it, because he can't.
They just have to accept that the other will exist and move on.
When that will happen is anyone's guess.

My parents often travel abroad, and usually to Europe. Almost every time they come back, they report on how Europeans say to them, "You Americans need to stop supporting Israel 100%!"

The US is the only country that sides fully with Israel. Other countries are aware of the Palestinian side of the conflict. Its just that too many Palestinians resort to suicide bombing and other terrorist actions to get their point across.

Maybe Bono was just echoing what most non Americans think - that the Palestinians count in this conflict as well.

Ok, I made a bit of a overstatement, but there is much anti-israeli sentiment in that country. Not to mention an endless supply of people willing to lob mortars and missles into isreal. Ive seen isreal and palestine before. It aint pretty.

Umm, last I checked, Palestine ISN'T a country, its two separate occupied territories. Occupied by Israel. That's the whole point. Decades of occupation tends to bread anti-occupier sentiment, don't you think??

And I seriously question whether you have actually been to the West Bank or Gaza, (or even Israel for that matter, since it seems you don't know how to spell it) and compared their miserable quality of life of even the middle class Palestinian to the quality of life of a poor or lower class Israeli. No comparison. Apartheid still exists in this world, in the form of Israelis control over the Palestinians every movement. Its just that the US government will never recognize this.

I for one was thrilled Bono seized his chance - I have always wondered why he hasn't really said anything directly about Palestine before (or maybe he has and I missed it?) You could tell by the look on Obama's face he was less than thrilled - typical US govt response, we wouldn't want to look like we are criticizing Israel as they massacre innocent civilians, right?? :huh:

What's interesting to me is that this mild statement is deemed controversial in DC. It does seem to jive with what I suspected. It's interesting to get the perspective of the OP on this.

Even the mere thought that there are two sides to the conflict is deemed controversial, not just in DC, but in most places in the US (save a few liberal strongholds!). Its sheer madness.

I think the word confronts as used in the title of this thread is a little misleading.

Mentioned, perhaps. Speechified in a Bono-esque way? Sure. But not confronts.

By confront I mean simply that he was challenging the incoming president and the American people, who want "change", to remember that there are two sides to the conflict. Many Americans and US politicians believe, out of ignorance and political expediency, that Israel is always right and that all Palestinians are terrorists. I suspect Bono considers that view to be idiotic politically and heretical from a faith (Christian) perspective.

Bono was implying that most Palestinians abhor terrorism and want peace just like Israelis. I suspect he also believes that Israel is doing a lot in the name of "security" to make themselves insecure. For instance, Israel has had a de facto blockade on Gaza for a long, long time. Obviously, they have very important and valid reasons to tightly control their borders but denying moderate Palestinians the chance to travel, get an education, etc. is counter-productive. Others use terms like apartheid to describe the situation.

No

that was Ahmedinijad the Iranian leader

I think Bono was calculating that over the last few years the Palestinian diaspora has not bought any U2 records so what can he do to address this problem

new lp will be on the streets of Ramallah in no time!

Even the mere thought that there are two sides to the conflict is deemed controversial, not just in DC, but in most places in the US (save a few liberal strongholds!). Its sheer madness.

That is surprising to me, but then again, I'll admit that I have very little knowledge of the ongoing Israel/Palestine conflict.

That is surprising to me, but then again, I'll admit that I have very little knowledge of the ongoing Israel/Palestine conflict.

No, it's very true.

It's akin to the Iraq thing where the US thinks one way and the whole rest of the world thinks another way. Except whereas you still had a pretty loud anti-war contingent in the US, when it comes to the I/P conflict, it's much different so it makes it seem like even the US populace is very right wing on this issue (though it may not be the case, who knows).

I guess I don't really see any controversy here.

What am I missing? Or am I just tired of overanalyzing everything that comes out of Bono's mouth, musical notes or words? (and if I am, boy is it going to be a looooooooooong year.)

Financeguy -

You remember on the Vertigo tour how between Pride and Streets he'd talk about "... not just an American dream, but an African dream" etc etc?

That's all it was.

Totally agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom