Bono confronts Obama, America on Israeli-Palestinian conflict

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never really been aware of the US supporting Israel, so this latest round of conflict and the resulting conversations have been eye-opening to me.

Just one of those things outside my realm of knowledge and awareness. :)

It's akin to the Iraq thing where the US thinks one way and the whole rest of the world thinks another way. Except whereas you still had a pretty loud anti-war contingent in the US, when it comes to the I/P conflict, it's much different so it makes it seem like even the US populace is very right wing on this issue (though it may not be the case, who knows).

That's because there's a mentality here that if you have any sympathy towards the Palestinians or say anything critical of Israel, you're an anti-Semite.

When I was in college, there was this Muslim group that often showed films and held rallies for the Palestinians, and the college Hilet (sp?) said those actions were anti-Semitic, simply because they criticized Israel.

By confront I mean simply that he was challenging the incoming president and the American people, who want "change", to remember that there are two sides to the conflict. Many Americans and US politicians believe, out of ignorance and political expediency, that Israel is always right and that all Palestinians are terrorists. I suspect Bono considers that view to be idiotic politically and heretical from a faith (Christian) perspective.

Bono was implying that most Palestinians abhor terrorism and want peace just like Israelis. I suspect he also believes that Israel is doing a lot in the name of "security" to make themselves insecure. For instance, Israel has had a de facto blockade on Gaza for a long, long time. Obviously, they have very important and valid reasons to tightly control their borders but denying moderate Palestinians the chance to travel, get an education, etc. is counter-productive. Others use terms like apartheid to describe the situation.

Thanks for clarifying the nature of the conflict and Bono's probable intentions for me. :up:

:wink:

Bono's success rate in solving world problems = 5% - give him a bit of credit for Northern Ireland

This palestinian comment wont change that stat

Geez, really? Nuts to that bullshit.

Its the same in the uk from experience

you say anything pro palestine and they think you are a crazy islamic preacher

but the actions of israel are twisted by crazy people who feed a load of crap to young people who have no idea on the issue and then they end up hating the uk which leads to horrors like the london underground attacks

by the way is Ariel Sharron still alive?

That was the top moment in the song. I was so happy when he said that because I have been behind Palestine's case since forever. And it was very self-assuring to see Bono come out like that and say that. It really was a breath of fresh air amongst all the "Us and Them" banter we've got going on these days. We are one. Let it be.. let it be.

And I seriously question whether you have actually been to the West Bank or Gaza, (or even Israel for that matter, since it seems you don't know how to spell it) and compared their miserable quality of life of even the middle class Palestinian to the quality of life of a poor or lower class Israeli. No comparison. Apartheid still exists in this world, in the form of Israelis control over the Palestinians every movement. Its just that the US government will never recognize this.

sorry for the misspelling I was in a rush. I know, they live in poverty, etc. The troops ar their because Israel is afraid, especially after the intifada. A lot of Israelies live in fear. And I am also aware of the Palestinian side.

My parents often travel abroad, and usually to Europe. Almost every time they come back, they report on how Europeans say to them, "You Americans need to stop supporting Israel 100%!"

There's quite a fine line about what the Europeans say. Israel is our only friend in the middle east. (Debate that if you will.) I don't know if we are Israel's only friend, but it certainly feels that way sometimes.
Additionally, Israel is surrounded by countries whose leaders who feel like they don't have a right to be there at all. I'm not just talking about the Palestinian territory.
I almost feel like if the United States stops "supporting" Israel, or claims that they are doing something wrong it will lead to an open invitation for any of those countries to do what they wish. It's almost like Israel is our little sister who is being bullied by the older, 6th graders with big rocks. You want her to stand up on her own two feet, but you know that those bullies can plow her down at any moment.
I have a great fear that Israel will be nuked one day and I'll never speak to my very good friend again. One bomb would be all that takes to destroy it, size wise. Who will retaliate in a war they really want no part of? Us, of course.

I've thought about this quite a lot in the past few weeks. You can say that I am a pretty ardent supporter of Israel in general (I wish my mom would have gone through with her bat mitzvah so I could make use of the birthright trip :wink:) and their right to exist, but what they have done in the past few weeks has weakened them far more than they will ever know. Damned if you do, damned it you don't.

I have a great fear that Israel will be nuked one day and I'll never speak to my very good friend again. One bomb would be all that takes to destroy it, size wise.

Where exactly in Israel could you drop a nuke without killing off large parts of the Arab countries/territories that surround it? Or is this fear based on the assumption that they're all ready to martyr themselves?

Damned if you do, damned it you don't.

I think this sums up the whole Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If you support the Palestinians, you're anti-Semitic. If you support Israel, you're anti-Muslim.

I think both sides have the right to exist. But the way Israel has been acting lately - with taking away all Palestinian rights and settling in the wrong areas thus violating international law, and now what's been going on recently - has been hurting their cause. But at the same time, the Palestinians need to stop blowing themselves up or sending bombs into Israel. Neither side is acting wisely. Its best to be neutral.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but I'm sure there are nukes with limited reach. Not to say its effect will have "corners" when it explodes either. Let's just say that one well placed bomb would disable Israel.

And I resent the martyr comment. I have Muslim friends and I consistently defend Islamic faith whenever I hear others speak ill of it. I know what true Islam is and what these fanatics have made it seem like to outsiders.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but I'm sure there are nukes with limited reach.

There may be a limited reach in the immediate physical destruction.

But the radiation resulting therefrom would not discriminate between Israeli and Palestinian and Egyptian and Jordanian bodies, etc.

Fine, not nukes. Why is this an issue? A well placed fire can destroy a forest. If they want it destroyed, they will find a way to do it. Who ever thought that two passenger aircrafts could debilitate a city?

Fine, not nukes. Why is this an issue?

Well because you brought it up as an issue. And also because this is a large part of the justification for the American pro-Israeli views which are extremely one-sided. The notion that an Arab country, or a terrorist Palestinian faction would someday in the future get a nuke and set it off in Israel. I never understood this at all - so a Palestinian is going to set off a nuke that's also going to kill his people too? That's just a strange concept.

Besides, there is only one country in that region with nukes. Of course, not officially.

You could tell by the look on Obama's face he was less than thrilled - typical US govt response, we wouldn't want to look like we are criticizing Israel as they massacre innocent civilians, right?? :huh:

What should his face have looked like? He takes the conflict very seriously.

I'm glad Bono mentioned both sides. The only way the Israeli/Palestinian conflict has any prayer of being resolved is if both sides acknowledge each others rights to exist. Hamas is a terrorist organization, and their frequent attacks on Israel and desire to wipe it off the face of the earth is wrong. Many average Israeli citizens have no real malice towards the Palestinians and vice versa. However, the Israeli government's blockade of proper food, water, medicine etc. into Gaza is just as wrong. Their recent attacks on Gaza that killed millions of innocent Palestinians are wrong. Hamas' attacks on Israel that led to Israel's attacks on Palestine were wrong as well. The majority of U.S. politicians' (at least publicly) one-sided view of the conflict is wrong as well. I believe Israel and the Jewish people in general have suffered harsh and unnecessary persecution throughout their history. However, Israel have perpetuated harsh and immoral actions against Palestine as well, and they deserve to be called out for them, just as we call Palestine out for theirs. Until and unless, both sides can swallow their pride and agree to a two state solution, there will be no peace in Palestine. This will never happen if one side (Israel) is being treated as though it is always in the right and Palestine is being looked at as always in the wrong.

Well because you brought it up as an issue. And also because this is a large part of the justification for the American pro-Israeli views which are extremely one-sided. The notion that an Arab country, or a terrorist Palestinian faction would someday in the future get a nuke and set it off in Israel. I never understood this at all - so a Palestinian is going to set off a nuke that's also going to kill his people too? That's just a strange concept.

Besides, there is only one country in that region with nukes. Of course, not officially.

I wasn't referencing Palestine, but that bright, cheery little country known as Iran.
Hamas may have just catapults left in their arsenal, but it's quite clear that a large part of the Arab world does not like Israel, does not want the Jews there, and has the means to destroy a country the size of Israel without a chance of retaliation.

Aaaand I say Iran because I can't spell Ackmedinejhad, but I can say it. Too bad that doesn't count on message boards. So yes, that asshole.

The palestinians will revolt against their bad leaders when they can hear the Israeli's blasting off Vertigo over the wall

then they will all get on with Vertigo being the new national anthem of Bonoland

i'll go back to my i dont give a total crap stance now

What I really don't understand is how so many of my fellow Americans fail to grasp the fact that the reason we were attacked, the reason we live in fear of terrorists, is because of our completely one-sided support of Israel. NO, George Bush, believe it or not, "they" don't hate us for our freedom (if they did, why wouldn't they just attack Sweden?), they hate us because without our complete and absolute support of whatever Israel does, Israel would not have been able to continue its repressive regime.

If the average American even had an idea of the amount of their money America gives to Israel (one of the wealthiest nations on the plant), annually, I not only think they would be shocked, they might start to actually question why our taxpayer money is being spent to support Israels' continuous violation of several UN resolutions (hmm, didn't we invade Iraq because they were violating UN resolutions? Why does Israel get a free pass??) and continuous oppression of the Palestinian people. What has our money bought us?

What I really don't understand is how so many of my fellow Americans fail to grasp the fact that the reason we were attacked, the reason we live in fear of terrorists, is because of our completely one-sided support of Israel. NO, George Bush, believe it or not, "they" don't hate us for our freedom (if they did, why wouldn't they just attack Sweden?), they hate us because without our complete and absolute support of whatever Israel does, Israel would not have been able to continue its repressive regime.

If the average American even had an idea of the amount of their money America gives to Israel (one of the wealthiest nations on the plant), annually, I not only think they would be shocked, they might start to actually question why our taxpayer money is being spent to support Israels' continuous violation of several UN resolutions (hmm, didn't we invade Iraq because they were violating UN resolutions? Why does Israel get a free pass??) and continuous oppression of the Palestinian people. What has our money bought us?

Agreed, and also just to note in passing, seeing as Iran was brought into it by another poster, Iran/Persia has never attacked or invaded anyone.

The Iran/Iraq conflict was started by Rumsfeld's buddy Sadamn Hussein.

umm, terrorist nations hate us because

1. Women have rights
2. Our nation isnt controlled by radical islamics
3. Were democratic
4. Capitolism
5. And yes we support Israel

oh and also apparently were infidel pigs. Who have no morals and our society is corrupt. Although I do agree with that last part :wink:

Also, terrorists have attacked England, and other parts of Europe. Anyone remember Munich? But why else attack America? Because attacking America is going to have more impact that attacking sweden.

Back
Top Bottom