Bono confronts Obama, America on Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsa View Post
What I really don't understand is how so many of my fellow Americans fail to grasp the fact that the reason we were attacked, the reason we live in fear of terrorists, is because of our completely one-sided support of Israel. NO, George Bush, believe it or not, "they" don't hate us for our freedom (if they did, why wouldn't they just attack Sweden?), they hate us because without our complete and absolute support of whatever Israel does, Israel would not have been able to continue its repressive regime.
It's a bit of a stretch to assume that Israel is the only reason we were attacked on 9/11. Why not attack Israel, then?

Quote:
Agreed, and also just to note in passing, seeing as Iran was brought into it by another poster, Iran/Persia has never attacked or invaded anyone.
A dog need not have a history of biting before doing so.
__________________

__________________
Tiger Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #62
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
it did just make your post that little bit funnier.
I'm glad for you
__________________

__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #63
War Child
 
BWU2Buffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 899
Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Financeguy -

You remember on the Vertigo tour how between Pride and Streets he'd talk about "... not just an American dream, but an African dream" etc etc?

That's what he did here. An African dream, an Israeli dream, (PAUSE FILLED WITH POLITICAL CONTROVERSY) a Palestinian dream.

That's all it was.
Agree completely -- I just saw the replay - our HBO freebie did not offer the live version this afternoon; so I was watching for this comment after reading some Blue Crack earlier in the day.

It was nothing more than a reminder that the dream is universal -- Bono mentioned both sides.

End of story -- no big deal.
__________________
BWU2Buffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #64
Acrobat
 
Kinsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 414
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
It's a bit of a stretch to assume that Israel is the only reason we were attacked on 9/11. Why not attack Israel, then?



A dog need not have a history of biting before doing so.
Because when they do attack Israel it doesn't have the same effect. The average American doesn't give a crap if an Israeli or a Palestinian is killed - don't you think the current massacre in Gaza is proof that a Palestinian life has no value to an average American?? How else can you explain that Israel has been given free reign these past few weeks to literally blow Gaza off the map, and yet you barely hear a peep about it in the news, and when you do, the news is so pro-Israeli its sick. The headline is 20 Israelis killed, and then the footnote is, by the way, a thousand Palestinians have been killed, in self-defense, of course, because everything Israel does is in self defense.

Do you even think an average American can tell you where Israel is on the map? Please. But kill an American, and that counts, that gets their attention. That's just the way it is. Sad but true.
__________________
Kinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #65
Acrobat
 
Kinsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 414
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
Agree completely -- I just saw the replay - our HBO freebie did not offer the live version this afternoon; so I was watching for this comment after reading some Blue Crack earlier in the day.

It was nothing more than a reminder that the dream is universal -- Bono mentioned both sides.

End of story -- no big deal.
Although at face value, I agree, it doesn't seem like a big deal - But if you understood the atmosphere in DC regarding Israel, you would understand what a big deal it really was.
__________________
Kinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #66
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
and yet you barely hear a peep about it in the news, and when you do, the news is so pro-Israeli its sick.

hahahahhahah thats all they've been talking about in the news, that and obama. And its so pro-gaza its sick
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:49 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 11:00 PM
dude, gaza is the disputed territory, not any particular group.

hamas is what you're looking for.
__________________
coolian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 06:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsa View Post
Because when they do attack Israel it doesn't have the same effect. The average American doesn't give a crap if an Israeli or a Palestinian is killed - don't you think the current massacre in Gaza is proof that a Palestinian life has no value to an average American?? How else can you explain that Israel has been given free reign these past few weeks to literally blow Gaza off the map, and yet you barely hear a peep about it in the news, and when you do, the news is so pro-Israeli its sick. The headline is 20 Israelis killed, and then the footnote is, by the way, a thousand Palestinians have been killed, in self-defense, of course, because everything Israel does is in self defense.

Do you even think an average American can tell you where Israel is on the map? Please. But kill an American, and that counts, that gets their attention. That's just the way it is. Sad but true.

That doesn't make any sense. They hate us because we support Israel means that they really hate Israel and only hate us secondary to that. Why hit the middle man?
If you were speaking in WORLDLY terms, then I would understand. More people outside the United States would "cry" in the world over the death of an American than that of an Israeli.
I think if you ask the average American what they thought about the Palestinian loss of life they're answer would be, "It's a downright shame," no more or no less than the loss of life in the Sudan or Rwanda circa 1993, or that of a Bulgarian or a Colombian or take your pick of any country that is not a world power. I don't think anyone is saying that ordinary civilians of any country deserve to die as a result of "conflict".
I think you and a few others on this forum have to put your own biases in perspective here. I've certainly gone over my stances with Israel in the past few weeks. Not everything is as black and white as you claim.
__________________
Tiger Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 PM   #69
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
dude, gaza is the disputed territory, not any particular group.

hamas is what you're looking for.
I stand by what I said. I would think not all the people dying in gaza are members of hamas.
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #70
Refugee
 
AliEnvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,320
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsa View Post
Although at face value, I agree, it doesn't seem like a big deal - But if you understood the atmosphere in DC regarding Israel, you would understand what a big deal it really was.
Bono

He's going to have to crank the Irish charm and blood alcohol level while schmoozing at all those balls.

Atta boy.

Balls.
__________________
AliEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #71
War Child
 
BWU2Buffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 899
Local Time: 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
dude, gaza is the disputed territory, not any particular group.

hamas is what you're looking for.
Weren't those the guys that got elected, in a free election? Oh yeah, maybe we Americans should be careful what we wish for in the Middle East -- those fee elections don't always turn out like we planned them.
__________________
BWU2Buffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #72
Refugee
 
The_Pac_Mule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,342
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Oh.

My.

God.






I HAD THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't Israel and Palestinians share the land???????????
__________________
The_Pac_Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #73
Acrobat
 
Kinsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 414
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
That doesn't make any sense. They hate us because we support Israel means that they really hate Israel and only hate us secondary to that. Why hit the middle man?
If you were speaking in WORLDLY terms, then I would understand. More people outside the United States would "cry" in the world over the death of an American than that of an Israeli.
I think if you ask the average American what they thought about the Palestinian loss of life they're answer would be, "It's a downright shame," no more or no less than the loss of life in the Sudan or Rwanda circa 1993, or that of a Bulgarian or a Colombian or take your pick of any country that is not a world power. I don't think anyone is saying that ordinary civilians of any country deserve to die as a result of war.
I think you and a few others on this forum have to put your own biases in perspective here. I've certainly gone over my stances with Israel in the past few weeks. Not everything is as black and white as you claim.

I am clearly biased, I would never deny that. I am biased against MY taxpayer money, that I work hard for, being given freely to a regime so that that regime can continue its unfettered oppression of another people. I feel this way about many counties, Israel just particularly irks me because of the insane and disproportionate amount of taxpayer money that is used to support it, and because of the effects this country has felt because of its blind support.

I am also biased because I have seen Israel and the West Bank first hand. I wish more Americans and supporters of Israel could do the same. I guarantee their blind support of Israel would change (except the hard core settler type Israelis, to me, they are like the fundamentalist Muslims, completely without any basis in reality).
__________________
Kinsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
I think you and a few others on this forum have to put your own biases in perspective here. I've certainly gone over my stances with Israel in the past few weeks. Not everything is as black and white as you claim.
Except that quite a few of us have.

If you would have spoken to me 10 years ago, you would find that my views were much closer to yours. I was very pro-Israeli, probably largely because I have more emotional ties to Israel than to the Palestinian territories. Many of my friends are Jewish and a number of them are Israeli-born. My mentor when I worked in leukemia research was an Israeli Jew, as were most of my coworkers. My father took women's handball teams to play in Israel in the late 70s and early 80s, he was a coach and at that time most of Eastern Europe had no interest in extending a friendly hand, plus tended to stay away for safety reasons. So that largely contributed to how I perceived the conflict.

Those were biases that I had, and once I was able to let go of them, my opinions began to shift. I think what has happened to the Palestinians over the last several decades is criminal, I think American tax dollars are subsidizing an apartheid regime in the West Bank, and that this situation has bred desperation and terror among ordinary Palestinians. I wish that for their own sake, they had a Gandhi, or a Mandela (who, let's not forget was branded a terrorist by the American government, and Margaret Thatcher once upon a time), but if I imagine myself in their situation, which is appalling and should rock the very essence of every human being, I am not so sure I'd respond in a polite and peaceful way either. It is a huge shame that their situation is such that thug groups like Hamas can emerge and claim "leadership" roles and it is even more shameful that Arab countries exploit their Palestinian "brothers and sisters" while never providing meaningful solutions, improving infrastructure or anything else worthwhile.

So yes, some of us have revised our biases, in short.
__________________
anitram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #75
Refugee
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,943
Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Where exactly in Israel could you drop a nuke without killing off large parts of the Arab countries/territories that surround it? Or is this fear based on the assumption that they're all ready to martyr themselves?
An Iranian Cleric once said that it would only take a single nuclear weapon to take out Israel. Thats actually not true, but that is where many such statements come from. Iran has no problem supplying weapons to Hamas which kill many Israeli citizens including those that are Arab.
__________________

__________________
Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com