Bono confronts Obama, America on Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Fine, not nukes. Why is this an issue?
Well because you brought it up as an issue. And also because this is a large part of the justification for the American pro-Israeli views which are extremely one-sided. The notion that an Arab country, or a terrorist Palestinian faction would someday in the future get a nuke and set it off in Israel. I never understood this at all - so a Palestinian is going to set off a nuke that's also going to kill his people too? That's just a strange concept.

Besides, there is only one country in that region with nukes. Of course, not officially.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsa View Post
You could tell by the look on Obama's face he was less than thrilled - typical US govt response, we wouldn't want to look like we are criticizing Israel as they massacre innocent civilians, right??
What should his face have looked like? He takes the conflict very seriously.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:39 AM
I'm glad Bono mentioned both sides. The only way the Israeli/Palestinian conflict has any prayer of being resolved is if both sides acknowledge each others rights to exist. Hamas is a terrorist organization, and their frequent attacks on Israel and desire to wipe it off the face of the earth is wrong. Many average Israeli citizens have no real malice towards the Palestinians and vice versa. However, the Israeli government's blockade of proper food, water, medicine etc. into Gaza is just as wrong. Their recent attacks on Gaza that killed millions of innocent Palestinians are wrong. Hamas' attacks on Israel that led to Israel's attacks on Palestine were wrong as well. The majority of U.S. politicians' (at least publicly) one-sided view of the conflict is wrong as well. I believe Israel and the Jewish people in general have suffered harsh and unnecessary persecution throughout their history. However, Israel have perpetuated harsh and immoral actions against Palestine as well, and they deserve to be called out for them, just as we call Palestine out for theirs. Until and unless, both sides can swallow their pride and agree to a two state solution, there will be no peace in Palestine. This will never happen if one side (Israel) is being treated as though it is always in the right and Palestine is being looked at as always in the wrong.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
No

that was Ahmedinijad the Iranian leader

I think Bono was calculating that over the last few years the Palestinian diaspora has not bought any U2 records so what can he do to address this problem

new lp will be on the streets of Ramallah in no time!

I vote madforit as the most entertaining member on interference
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Well because you brought it up as an issue. And also because this is a large part of the justification for the American pro-Israeli views which are extremely one-sided. The notion that an Arab country, or a terrorist Palestinian faction would someday in the future get a nuke and set it off in Israel. I never understood this at all - so a Palestinian is going to set off a nuke that's also going to kill his people too? That's just a strange concept.

Besides, there is only one country in that region with nukes. Of course, not officially.
I wasn't referencing Palestine, but that bright, cheery little country known as Iran.
Hamas may have just catapults left in their arsenal, but it's quite clear that a large part of the Arab world does not like Israel, does not want the Jews there, and has the means to destroy a country the size of Israel without a chance of retaliation.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Aaaand I say Iran because I can't spell Ackmedinejhad, but I can say it. Too bad that doesn't count on message boards. So yes, that asshole.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 08:39 PM
The palestinians will revolt against their bad leaders when they can hear the Israeli's blasting off Vertigo over the wall

then they will all get on with Vertigo being the new national anthem of Bonoland

i'll go back to my i dont give a total crap stance now
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #53
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:39 AM
What I really don't understand is how so many of my fellow Americans fail to grasp the fact that the reason we were attacked, the reason we live in fear of terrorists, is because of our completely one-sided support of Israel. NO, George Bush, believe it or not, "they" don't hate us for our freedom (if they did, why wouldn't they just attack Sweden?), they hate us because without our complete and absolute support of whatever Israel does, Israel would not have been able to continue its repressive regime.

If the average American even had an idea of the amount of their money America gives to Israel (one of the wealthiest nations on the plant), annually, I not only think they would be shocked, they might start to actually question why our taxpayer money is being spent to support Israels' continuous violation of several UN resolutions (hmm, didn't we invade Iraq because they were violating UN resolutions? Why does Israel get a free pass??) and continuous oppression of the Palestinian people. What has our money bought us?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsa View Post
What I really don't understand is how so many of my fellow Americans fail to grasp the fact that the reason we were attacked, the reason we live in fear of terrorists, is because of our completely one-sided support of Israel. NO, George Bush, believe it or not, "they" don't hate us for our freedom (if they did, why wouldn't they just attack Sweden?), they hate us because without our complete and absolute support of whatever Israel does, Israel would not have been able to continue its repressive regime.

If the average American even had an idea of the amount of their money America gives to Israel (one of the wealthiest nations on the plant), annually, I not only think they would be shocked, they might start to actually question why our taxpayer money is being spent to support Israels' continuous violation of several UN resolutions (hmm, didn't we invade Iraq because they were violating UN resolutions? Why does Israel get a free pass??) and continuous oppression of the Palestinian people. What has our money bought us?
Agreed, and also just to note in passing, seeing as Iran was brought into it by another poster, Iran/Persia has never attacked or invaded anyone.

The Iran/Iraq conflict was started by Rumsfeld's buddy Sadamn Hussein.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #55
Refugee

umm, terrorist nations hate us because

1. Women have rights
2. Our nation isnt controlled by radical islamics
3. Were democratic
4. Capitolism
5. And yes we support Israel

oh and also apparently were infidel pigs. Who have no morals and our society is corrupt. Although I do agree with that last part

Also, terrorists have attacked England, and other parts of Europe. Anyone remember Munich? But why else attack America? Because attacking America is going to have more impact that attacking sweden.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #56
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pac_Mule View Post
3. Were democratic
Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #57
Refugee

hahah, somewhat.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #58
Blue Crack Supplier

funnier still is the grammatical error.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #59
Refugee

We're*? haha I don't care
Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 PM   #60
Blue Crack Supplier

it did just make your post that little bit funnier.