Bono, Andrew Mwenda, and TED talks... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #1
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
Local Time: 01:18 AM
Bono, Andrew Mwenda, and TED talks...

Andrew Mwenda has a very different theory on Africa than Bono. and while I must say that I agree with Bono over Mwenda, it is interesting to watch both sides.

during Mwenda's TED talk, Bono at one point speaks up from in the crowd. (and while it is cut off in the video), apparntley Bono says:

"Bullocks! that's bullshit! Ireland grew from charity and government help to get out of the potato famine"

Here is Mwenda's speech (with Bono briefly cutting in about 1/3 through):

Discuss:

Old 03-15-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Bono is confronted with an intelligent, articulate, self-aware African with a different point of view to his and Bono's reaction is to rudely heckle and interrupt. I am very embarassed that this man Bono is representing Ireland on the world stage with bad language and heckling.

Sounds to me that Bono prefers his Africans to be seen and not heard.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Refugee

Location: Interference is called Interference because it interferes on my ability to live a normal life...
I see your point. I do think that Bono should have just kept his mouth shut.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

The thing is, I've seen many TED talks (there are tons of fabulous ones) and I've never seen anybody interrupting in this manner, hell I'm not sure I've seen anyone interrupt at all except with a super brief questions. They limit the talks pretty strictly to a short time period so that makes it even worse.

Bad form, IMO.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:18 AM
Did I miss something? You all are talking about how Bono interrupted the speaker, but didn't the speaker ask the audience a question?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Did I miss something? You all are talking about how Bono interrupted the speaker, but didn't the speaker ask the audience a question?
he did ask the audience a question. and I dont know if it was meant to be rhetorical but i dont think he was expecting anyone to be brave enough to answer. the thing is that bono used words like "bullshit" and some people said that he was trying "to act like a smart ass and upstage him" during a formal talk.

I dont think that what bono did was as bad as some people are saying but I agree he should have at least been quiet and have shared his opinion later instead of trying to spark a debate during someone's speaking time. However, i do understand the point that he was just "answering a question"
Old 03-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 PM
I preferred Dennett ripping into Rick Warren
Old 03-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I preferred Dennett ripping into Rick Warren
wow! yes great talk! I just watched it. I love ted talks... I feel so smart when I watch them lol
Old 03-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooropop40 View Post
I see your point. I do think that Bono should have just kept his mouth shut.
I agree. Bono should have treated Mr. Mwenda with more respect.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post

I missed it too.. at 5 min 50 seconds Andrew Mwenda leads into where Bono "interrupts". I researched this for a transcript and could not find one. I couldn't hear what Bono said.. it sounds like he starts with "yes, yes" but it certainly didn't seem like he was "heckling". I also could not find a video of his speech directly replying to Andrew Mwenda's speech. I did read on a blog that the there were a couple of hostile questions asked to Bono during his speech:

…My heart’s in Accra � Bono versus Mwenda

Same blogger reporting on Andrew Mwenda's speech:

…My heart’s in Accra � Getting rowdy with Andrew Mwenda

I do not understand the complaint that Bono was disrespectful in the context of what I could see/hear on the video.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Refugee

to me I agree with Bono's point 100%, but I think its the fact that he said "that's bullshit" during someone elses speech in a formal gathering- regardless that it was a response to a question. I think people found it somewhat innapropriate and would be better if he didnt try to debate during someone's speech...i guess bono is a bit braver that the average person.

It is vague in the video because it was obviously edited out.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 02:18 AM
It wasn't clear that the video was edited and there is no transcript.. so it was hard to understand what happened. From what is left from the edit and finding what was written about what he said, it appears that Bono made a statement and didn't try to debate it.

Reading the blog on a recount of Bono's speech, it seems that he got a taste of his own medicine from a couple of people.. telling me that it all wasn't so innappropriate after all.
…My heart’s in Accra � Bono versus Mwenda

Quote:
Bono fields a couple of questions, two of them quite hostile. One notes, “a certain portrayal as Africans as unable to think, empty,” an accusation that clearly stings. Bono responds that he’s clearly done a poor job of showing his esteem for the continent, and notes, “I don’t think about Africans in any other way than I think about irish people.” A question from Derrick Ashong about how Africa can leverage its cultural patrimony gets a happier response: he notes that Irish culture isn’t a northern European culture, and that many traditional Irish melodies can be traced directly to Morocco - he illustrates with a short piece of song. “There’s a definite African heritage, a connection between Celtic and Coptic culture.” He leaves the stage to a standing ovation.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #13
Refugee

Thanks Boston Anne!

Bono's heart is always in the right place. I don't think it is right to attack him for spending his time and pocket cash, for campaigning to help others in such desperate need. I think he feels so passionately about these issues, that it is impossible for him, to keep silent. And it may be hard for him, to sit through an entire speech and not comment.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:18 AM
Then he has to learn to suspend himself. He could counter those points after that.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
Refugee

I agree. And I would have waited until, Mr. Mwenda was finish with his speech. Though, I was trying to give Bono some credit, that's all.