Bizarre kids names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally, I'm not from Berlin, and Berlin beer, well, not high class beer either.

Kölsch is typically for Cologne, whereas e.g. Alt is typical for Düsseldorf, and both citites don't really like each other. Cologne is very down-to-earth kind of people, while Düsseldorf is pretty snobish, hence both say the other beer is no really beer and so on.
I much prefer to stay out of that debate as I've never drank Alt and only once Kölsch.
If you talk to some proud Bavarians they of course will disregard anything but a Weizen or Pilsner as not being beer.
So, that's the debate you would be likely to find yourself in if you met a bunch of Germans from different regions. ;)

I don't remember if Iever had a real Belgian beer, but I've heard they are pretty good.

Vincent Vega said:
If you talk to some proud Bavarians they of course will disregard anything but a Weizen or Pilsner as not being beer.
So, that's the debate you would be likely to find yourself in if you met a bunch of Germans from different regions. ;)

I don't remember if Iever had a real Belgian beer, but I've heard they are pretty good.

Those Bavarians love their beer so much they made up their own 16 day beer-swilling holiday didn't they?
4585_cheers.gif

We used to have traditional, regional beers in America. Milwaukee vs St Louis vs New England vs West of the Rockies. But most everything is brewed by Miller or Budwiser now.

Yeah, they are having a 16 day holiday accompanied by 349 normal beer drinking days each year. But still Germans are not the top beer consumers in Europe. In England and Chechya they drink more hectolitres per capita. But especially the Bavarians are proud of their beer brewing tradition with more that 1,000 breweries and the oldest food law in the world: the Reinheitsgebot (purity requirement).

Many of the German breweries today belong to some major companies, but still brew their own beer. I've once read you could drink another beer each day for 16.5 years.

And I'm sorry, but any of those beers is preferable to American beer.

I started a new job tonight, and one of the girls I work with is named Cyndel, pronounced sin-dell. She's smokin', and the uniqueness just makes her even hotter. :shifty:

DaveC said:
I started a new job tonight, and one of the girls I work with is named Cyndel, pronounced sin-dell. She's smokin', and the uniqueness just makes her even hotter. :shifty:

That reminds me of her.

One of our more popular singers here has a daughter Zita and a boy called Nono.

Never heard of before but it always reminds me of a nobody, poor kid.

If I remember correct, the name had it's origins in Africa (but I forgot what, how or where).
After all, the boy grows up here and not in Africa, sometimes it's worth thinking a bit further...(my 2 cents)

My mom works at a day care and all the little girls have car names: Avant, Kia, Infinity, Porsche, Mercedes...

My neice has just named her baby boy Quban. I still can't remember how to pronounce it! I think from memory it sounds like Kevin, but obviously with a b instead of a v.....

Chinese babies named 'Olympic Games'

Chinese children are often named after virtues or events.
More than 4,000 children in China have been given the name Aoyun, meaning Olympic Games, in the past 15 years.

The rise in popularity of the name is seen as a sign of support for the Games being staged in August in Beijing.

Officials in charge of identity cards say that more than 92% of the 4,104 registered Aoyuns are boys.

It is not uncommon for Chinese children to be given names of common events and popular slogans - such as Defend China, Build the Nation and Space Travel.

There are 290,798 registered Civilisations.

The first surge in Aoyuns came in 1992, when China applied to host to the 2000 Games. About 680 Aoyuns were registered at the time.

In 2002 another 553 Aoyuns were named, after China was chosen to host the 2008 Games.

The BBC's Chinese service says that in recent weeks babies have also been given names such as Hope for Sichuan, to show solidarity with earthquake victims.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Chinese babies named 'Olympic Games'

And I thought Western celebrities had it bad with names!

I had a student 2 years ago that was blessed with the name Ice Cold. I can't make this up. His first name is Ice, his middle name is Cold. :| That's how it appeared on my roster. I wish I could still access that gradebook. :lol:

I have a friend named Allender Penn, Penn being her middle name. It is pronounced like calendar without the C. It's unique and pretty cool and it's a family name, so it's not just for the shits and giggles of a unique name. Allender was her great grandmother's surname.

I also know one guy named Gentry. And one named Peadar or something similar but it's pronounced Pa-ther. He's Irish.

And I know a girl named Sparrow. I know a little boy named Asia.

Hmmm....I know a woman named Mardochee. It's pronounced Mar-doe-chee, just basically like it looks.

ooh yes one of my best friends is named Charlsie. It's her first name. Her middle name is Lucky. Charlsie Lucky.

Ahh yes I know a girl named Shemmy.

Also I know a girl named Seyra but it's pronounced like Sarah. Just a unique spelling on that.

I love names! But sometimes people get carried away with trying to be unique and end up looking like idiots. Often, it's cool to give a kid a name that's unique. I would rather have a distinct name than a common one, but I wouldn't want to be called "lamp" or "chair" or something silly.

I've just recently read about a man in Saudi-Arabia who named his daughter Ghalaa, which means price increase, in protest of the high inflation in his country.

A family court judge in New Zealand has had enough with parents giving their children bizarre names here, and did something about it.

Just ask Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii. He had her renamed.

Judge Rob Murfitt made the 9-year-old girl a ward of the court so that her name could be changed, he said in a ruling made public Thursday. The girl was involved in a custody battle, he said.

The new name was not made public to protect the girl's privacy.

"The court is profoundly concerned about the very poor judgment which this child's parents have shown in choosing this name," he wrote. "It makes a fool of the child and sets her up with a social disability and handicap, unnecessarily."

The girl had been so embarrassed at the name that she had never told her closest friends what it was. She told people to call her "K" instead, the girl's lawyer, Colleen MacLeod, told the court.

In his ruling, Murfitt cited a list of the unfortunate names.

Registration officials blocked some names, including Fish and Chips, Yeah Detroit, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit, he said. But others were allowed, including Number 16 Bus Shelter "and tragically, Violence," he said.

New Zealand law does not allow names that would cause offense to a reasonable person, among other conditions, said Brian Clarke, the registrar general of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Clarke said officials usually talked to parents who proposed unusual names to convince them about the potential for embarrassment.

Uhm, kids are not things or objects. They have real feelings. What exactly are these parents thinking?

I actually went to school with a girl named Pixey Hiney:doh:. She is TOTALLY screwed in the worst kind of way. I truly believe that if she were not named after fairy hind parts, she would be somewhat sane... Poor child.

My name is kinda dumb too... Now that I think about it. It's Courtney but it's spelled Cortni. So, all through school in all grades my teachers always said Corteenee. I've had to explain my name my whole life!!! OH and every time a little brat in one of my classes came in with a pen or something that had their name on it, it totally made me feel like crap because I KNEW that no matter what I would not be able to write with a pen with my name on it. (I have hidden angry deep seeded emotion about my name) I promise not to go Patrick Bateman on anyone here...although:hmm:

Uhm, kids are not things or objects. They have real feelings. What exactly are these parents thinking?

Aww, that was just sad - actually naming a child Talulah Does The Hula. :sad: I wonder if these parents were bullies in school and actually want to see their child come home from school in tears.

It would be cool if we could maybe choose a child's first name, and let that child choose his/her own middle name when he/she is mature enough to do so.

Slightly off topic, but it's an interesting story. When I was pregnant with my first daughter, my husband begged me to let him name her Amber Shay. This was the name of a girl he went to school with (Ambre Shay) and he always loved the name. So we went with that name, and found out years later that both Ambre and Amber share the same birthday of October 10th. Pretty cool.

Cake request for 3-year-old Hitler namesake denied - Yahoo! News

EASTON, Pa. – The father of 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell, denied a birthday cake with the child's full name on it by one New Jersey supermarket, is asking for a little tolerance. Heath Campbell and his wife, Deborah, are upset not only with the decision made by the Greenwich ShopRite, but with an outpouring of angry Internet postings in response to a local newspaper article over the weekend on their flare-up over frosting.

"I think people need to take their heads out of the cloud they've been in and start focusing on the future and not on the past," Heath Campbell said Tuesday in an interview conducted in Easton, on the other side of the Delaware River from where the family lives in Hunterdon County, N.J.

"There's a new president and he says it's time for a change; well, then it's time for a change," the 35-year-old continued. "They need to accept a name. A name's a name. The kid isn't going to grow up and do what (Hitler) did."

Deborah Campbell, 25, said she phoned in her order last week to the ShopRite. When she told the bakery department she wanted her son's name spelled out, she was told to talk to a supervisor, who denied the request.

Karen Meleta, a spokeswoman for ShopRite, said the Campbells had similar requests denied at the same store the last two years and said Heath Campbell previously had asked for a swastika to be included in the decoration.

"We reserve the right not to print anything on the cake that we deem to be inappropriate," Meleta said. "We considered this inappropriate."

The Campbells ultimately got their cake decorated at a Wal-Mart in Pennsylvania, Deborah Campbell said. About 12 people attended the birthday party on Sunday, including several children who were of mixed race, according to Heath Campbell.

"If we're so racist, then why would I have them come into my home?" he asked.

The Campbells' other two children also have unusual names: JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell turns 2 in a few months and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell will be 1 in April.

Heath Campbell said he named his son after Adolf Hitler because he liked the name and because "no one else in the world would have that name." He sounded surprised by all the controversy the dispute had generated.

Campbell said his ancestors are German and that he has lived his entire life in Hunterdon County. On Tuesday he wore a pair of black boots he said were worn by a German soldier during World War II.

He said he was raised not to avoid people of other races but not to mix with them socially or romantically. But he said he would try to raise his children differently.

"Say he grows up and hangs out with black people. That's fine, I don't really care," he said. "That's his choice."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

:scream:

I always liked the name Adelaide for some reason :shrug:

Strange because we always hang shit on the town, our premier labelled it "melbourne's backwater"

I always liked the name Adelaide for some reason :shrug:

Strange because we always hang shit on the town, our premier labelled it "melbourne's backwater"

I have a best friend called Adelaide, but I suppose you can get away with it when you live nowhere near the place :up:

Back
Top Bottom