Bizarre kids names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
Is it fair to give a kid a ridiculous name? If not - or if so, for that matter- how do you define 'ridiculous'?

My friend wants to call his daughter Tinkerbell.

He doesn't want to call her Tinkerbell as a nickname. He wants it to be her actual first name, officially. Poor little thing. Her full name would be Tinkerbell Rachael Gabbana Low. (Low being her surname).

No, unfortunately, I am not kidding. Imagine the taunts at at school... and would she ever be taken seriously in her career with a name like that, unless she was a stripper or fairy impersonator?

Should I slap him? I think it would be a fair thing to do on the poor kid's behalf.

Last edited:
Well, there are always two parties involved in giving names.

And why use up all the names on the first child? What his left for the next one?
So, why three forenames, one being ridiculous.
Let's take Rachael Tinkerbell Low, so later she can decide whether to go by the name or just take Rachael Low.

Giving names should not just be made up by what the parents think is funny, but they should consider that the kid is going to go by this name for all her/his life.

My dad wanted to name me Candy surname Kane( Candy Noelle Kane)

My mom slapped him thankfully plus I think he was at a bar during my birth so she got to name me:wink: it remained a nickname but thankfully I don't have to sign checks with it

My elder borthers wanted my mum to call me 'Cecil Cyril' if I was a boy, and 'Gertrude Cyrilla' if I was a girl. :ohmy:

Luckily for me, she had the sense to tell them to shut up.

I did know 3 unfortunates at school called Teresa Green, Ed Butt, and Wayne Kerr. Seriously.:huh: One of my close friends has never forgiven her mum for naming her Amy Sunshine Sutherland - the initials just add insult to injury.

Last edited:
names that are different from the norm are hard enough on kids growing up. names that are just downright bizzare? that's just not right.

as lewis black says, the nurse who fills out the birth certificate should be given the right to refuse to right down the kid's name if it's completely asinine.

like, for example, this former football player for Florida State University...

Craphonso Thorpe

http://seminoles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/thorpe_craphonso00.html

Some years back a woman went to court because the registry office told her that she won't be able to give her kid six or seven names.
The judge said that she was crazy and won't be allowed to give here child six to seven names.

:)

I remember reading a newspaper back in 1997, to find that some moronic couple here named their daughter after the Teletubbies.

HONESTLY. I kid you not.

They called her LaaLaa TinkyWinky Po Dipsy NooNoo - plus whatever their surname was. Jones, probably!

Who would do something like that to their offspring?!

I hope the kid slaps its parents all day long once it is old enough to do so.

my cousins and i have names that will never be found on souvenir cups...but, for our family i guess it is more of a cultural thing. nobody in my family is named tinkerbell, but i do have a cousin named precious. she has friends with the same name.

redhotswami said:
nobody in my family is named tinkerbell, but i do have a cousin named precious. she has friends with the same name.

I know a lot of students whose families are originally from Nigeria or Ghana that have names like Precious, Happiness or Patience. It's a cultural thing. If my boyfriend and I ever have kids, I think they will have African first names at least because it would be a tie to their father's culture. Indeed, his mother's name is at the top of my list for potential baby names: Rokia. :)

I like a lot of semi-weird names. :reject:

Some are Dutch like Marijke (mah-rye-kuh), Maaike (micah for a girl), Liesbeth (lease-bet), Thijs (tice), and Kees (case). I also like Petra and Jordan (for girls) b/c they are cool Biblical places. The only normal names I love are Ann Marie and Camille, but neither are family names.

Like sula said, in Tanzania I met tons of African woman named Happiness, Precious, and Patience. It sounded odd at first, but it's a cultural thing, just like our abundance of Courtneys, Ashleys, Brittanys, Katies, etc.

My mom always says the girls at her daycare are all named after cars - Avant, Mercedes, Kia, Porshe, Infinity, etc. :giggle:

One of the worst I've heard of is Shithead (I think it's pronounced shih-tade). I'm guessing it's a legit Irish name or something, but...wow.

I don't mind weird names as long as there is a point. For example, my name is "weird", but really only here in the USA b/c it's a Dutch name and my entire extended family is Dutch. I think it's strange to give a kid a weird name with no regard for what the name really means or if it has no cultural or family significance. For example, I'd never give my child a traditional Muslim name, not b/c I have anything against them, but we're not Muslim and the name has no meaning.

Everyone should read the chapter on names in Freakonomics, it's hilarious, disturbing, and insightful.

Liesje said:

Some are Dutch like Marijke (mah-rye-kuh), Maaike (micah for a girl), Liesbeth (lease-bet), Thijs (tice), and Kees (case). I also like Petra

Mareike (Ma-raye-ke), Maike (Maye-ke), Mike/Maik, Elisabeth (E-lease-a-bet), Thies (Tease), and Petra are common German names as well :)

Liesje said:

My mom always says the girls at her daycare are all named after cars - Avant, Mercedes, Kia, Porshe, Infinity, etc. :giggle:

Everyone should read the chapter on names in Freakonomics, it's hilarious, disturbing, and insightful.

When I was a candy-striper on the OB ward we had 4 Mercedes babies born in one week. :sick:

I keep meaning to read that book.

In my country, people of my state are very know for giving weird names to the babies :lmao: usually we use the parents names, mix them and make a new and bizarre name for the baby :yikes:

My son's first name is Landen and his middle name is Drake. He hates it. He's asked me many times why I couldn't have called him something normal. I think it's fine to give your child an unusual name. But I also think parents should consider whether that name is so strange that their child is going to be ridiculed. My son has never been teased, but I don't think you could say the same thing about a kid named Tinkerbell.

redhotswami said:
my cousins and i have names that will never be found on souvenir cups...but, for our family i guess it is more of a cultural thing. nobody in my family is named tinkerbell, but i do have a cousin named precious. she has friends with the same name.

I don't think Precious is bad... I'll bet they suffered during the LOTR trilogy, though!

Liesje: the Dutch names aren't weird to me - I did my degree in Dutch and spent a year in NL. :)

Why do so many Americans have middle names, by the way?
I know from my mother that the generations before her always had a first name, chosen by the parents, then a second name, which was the name of the grandfather, grandmother or another ancestor, and the surname.
Because the mother of my grandfather's was very strict and demanded this tradition to be kept my grandparents gave their children a second name, but they all just go by the first name, and leave out the second one.

My father and his family doesn't have a second name at all.
Today it is very mixed, but normally children don't get a second name.

However, as far as I've experienced (and maybe I'm just wrong here), in the US most have a first and a second name, I don't know how it is with other countries.

So is that a tradition as well or does it just have become normal?

Vincent Vega said:
Why do so many Americans have middle names, by the way?
I know from my mother that the generations before her always had a first name, chosen by the parents, then a second name, which was the name of the grandfather, grandmother or another ancestor, and the surname.
Because the mother of my grandfather's was very strict and demanded this tradition to be kept my grandparents gave their children a second name, but they all just go by the first name, and leave out the second one.

My father and his family doesn't have a second name at all.
Today it is very mixed, but normally children don't get a second name.

However, as far as I've experienced (and maybe I'm just wrong here), in the US most have a first and a second name, I don't know how it is with other countries.

So is that a tradition as well or does it just have become normal?
Giving kids middle names is pretty normal here in the UK...

The more unique the name the better....I think it should be encouraged, the invention of new names especially. Who said that naming a child can't be a creative and enjoyable experience. Where's the fun in calling someone John or Sarah?

A little off topic, but I've always loved the occasional instance of a couple marrying/having a kid and combining both their surnames to create an entirely new surname......a grand idea.

Back
Top Bottom