Bizarre kids names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lately I've been noticing all the apostrophes (') especially when they're just "there". I mean, Sy'rai or O'shea, fine...but when I see a guy named Greg' it just makes me laugh.

I've seen it stuck on the end of names...not Greg specifically but it's there.

Do you guys like the names that are words? Like Destiny, which is so common now that it's not even strange to hear it. I think I know 3 Destiny's actually. But my daughter had an Eternity in her preschool class last year.

And the intentionally odd spellings of common names has to go...

My sister wants to name her kids: Chaysen Dane..and Breezelyn Shai.

I like the name Jacelinn Alize and for a boy: Jaden Bono Elijah. :)

My friend named her kids, Blaise, Zanai Bronwyn, and Xandra Layne.

Oh and we're all Caucasian... just a bit on the unusual side...

Hows this for bad. Here in NZ there is a girl that has been named V8 and another made the national newspaper with it's parents wanting to call it 4Real.....WHAT IS WRONG WITH THOSE PARENTS!!!

Madison's quite a popular girls name now - since I've had kids, I've come across heaps of them! It's weird how names can suddenly appear and then take off like crazy!!

Madison is heaps popular now.....i have met heaps of "Maddy's" we have a next door neighbour that has recently moved in that has a 3 year old called "BJ"...that's it "BJ" it apparently is not short for anything..... the mum just liked the sound of BJ! I hate when parents try to be "different" :eyebrow:

fly so high! said:
Madison is heaps popular now.....i have met heaps of "Maddy's"

I've met heaps of Maddies, but they've always been Madelines. I never would have expected Madison to become popular as a first name, especially not as a female name. It sounds more masculine to me. But perhaps that's just because when I think of Madison, I think of males like James Madison.

we have a next door neighbour that has recently moved in that has a 3 year old called "BJ"...that's it "BJ" it apparently is not short for anything..... the mum just liked the sound of BJ! I hate when parents try to be "different" :eyebrow:

Now that just makes me wonder if the mother's a bit obsessed with BJ Hunnicut from M*A*S*H! :lol:

I have a friend named Allender, (pronounced like Calendar without the C) which is a family name. It was her great-grandmother's surname. Her middle name is Penn, after another surname of her family. Her brother is Lucian, which is not so uncommon, but they are both unique, I think. The owner of a cafe where I live is named Sparrow.

Ooh and there was a wealthy family in Texas who had a daughter named Ima. The pity is, her last name was Hogg.

Last edited:
Axver said:

Now that just makes me wonder if the mother's a bit obsessed with BJ Hunnicut from M*A*S*H! :lol:

I thought about the same. His brother might get the name Hawkeye, or BF. :)

In former East Germany it was very popular to call kids names like Mandy, Peggy, Nancy, Jaqueline etc. or boys Kevin, Dennis etc.
Not that unusual for English speaking countries though, it's not really German names. I guess it was a form of protesting the regime.
Now you come across heaps of girls or boys with that name and immediately know where this person comes from. :)

since every third little girl we see in clinic is named Madison I looked it up on the name popularity charts and found that it's wildly popular everywhere in the US EXCEPT in Wisconsin. Go figure. From now on whenever I think of the name Madison I'll think of happy cows

Re: oh my...

Kiki said:

Why....why....WHY would you do that to that child?! lol

Because nobody puts Baby in a corner [/Dirty Dancing]

What is the deal with making Chase a first name? I don't mind it, I actually think it's neat sounding, but where did that come from?

phillyfan26 said:
What is the deal with making Chase a first name? I don't mind it, I actually think it's neat sounding, but where did that come from?

I know somebody named Chase,it ait a weird name,I agree with you

also, not sure if I mentioned this already as this is an old thread. . .

I once had a student whose first name was Al Pacino.

This was on the small Pacific island of Chuuk where unusual first names were quite common. Other students at our school included Retina, Hamburger, Red Sea, V-3, and Vanilla Ice.

^ In certain tribal regions of northeastern India, especially Meghalaya and Nagaland, it's quite common for parents to give their children names randomly drawn from history, popular culture or just in general "interesting"-sounding foreign words and phrases (often, but not necessarily, English ones)...everything from Ulysses to Toilet to Barrister to Boer War to Hilarious; the last time I was in India, I remember reading an article about the latest political initiative of a Meghalayan politican named Adolf Hitler Marak. There are a few tribes which specifically have a reputation for the custom of deliberately choosing 'humorous' names for one's children, but in most cases--and I'm guessing it's likely the same on Chuuk?--the parents likely held little or no associations with the word, phrase or name in its 'original' context. It's more a consequence of their traditional understanding of the 'proper' way to choose a name, which emphasizes above all that it must be completely unique; to discover that anyone else of your ethnic group happens to have the same name as you do would be mortifying, and naming a child after a long-deceased relative (or some word in the native language) is likewise almost unthinkable.

It's interesting how the traditional considerations involved in how one should choose a child's name vary so much across cultures and subcultures like that. We named our first child Akiva, which from a general Jewish POV is nothing particularly unusual for a boy--but, we're both from fairly traditional Sephardic families where the expectation is that you'll name all your children after fairly close relatives, and there's no known Akiva in either of our family trees, so all the grandparents were...not upset exactly, but they reacted somewhat the same way most grandparents today might to their grandchild being named 'Starlight' or something like that: um, well, it's nice I guess dear, pleasant associations and all that, but why would you turn to such "eccentric" word/name categories as a source for ideas?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom