Bizarre kids names?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LJT said:

Plus stupid names are expected of rockstars:wink:

True. And anyway somehow I can't see rockstars' kids getting bullied when the kid simply utters the words: "My dad is Keith Richards/Liam Gallagher/Keith Moon [and goodness alone knows how many kids there'll be running around who can accurately make that claim! :wink: ] and he'll smash yer face in". ;)

True. And anyway somehow I can't see rockstars' kids getting bullied when the kid simply utters the words: "My dad is Keith Richards/Liam Gallagher/Keith Moon [and goodness alone knows how many kids there'll be running around who can accurately make that claim! ] and he'll smash yer face in".
:lol:I'd be highly impressed with Keith Moon if he managed to smash anyone's face in, things being as they are...

originally posted by bammo2

It's amazing the amount of people that think I've got a weird name: Lucinda. I don't think it's weird, or difficult to spell, but all the time I come across people that spell it Lucinder or when I tell them my name, say, "Blimey! I think I'll just call you Luc" which really annoys me, because Luc isn't my name

Oh, and people immediately presume that I'm really posh and have a trust fund and a pony that I take to gymkhanas at the weekends. Until I open my mouth, that is

I love the name Lucinda!

sallycinnamon78 said:

:lol:I'd be highly impressed with Keith Moon if he managed to smash anyone's face in, things being as they are...

:laugh: I thought that as I wrote it but then again, I wouldn't put anything past Keith. :uhoh:

;)

There's a fine line between weird and just plain insane. Hope these parents have enough money for yrs of therapy or atleast decent body guards should any unfortunate accidents occur. :wink:

I also hate it when people are "creative" with the spelling of names. It just makes them seem as though they're fools who can't spell properly.:mad:
A girl at my school was called Massiga, it sounded like massacre but we just got used to it. I don't like stupid names but when you know the person it just ends up sounding normal.
The one name I HATE is Tahlia. I know it's not that bad but it just grates.

Tinkerbell's not too bad.

I've posted this story in a similar thread before, but it always makes me chuckle so 'I'll share it with you again, a friend of mine recently had a baby, and he & his wife were struggling to think of a name, the only advice I could give them was not to give the baby a christian name beginning with the letter R, their surname is Sole!

I have a friend who's surname is Ness which took out Christian names beginning with P. :D

I dont care about 'weird' names anymore. Where I live the ordinary names which are assigned to every 3rd baby are enough to make you abstain from sex just incase you have to name a kid yourself.
Jaiden, Jayden, Kayla, Maddison, Bailey, Chloe, Jack. etc.
:madwife:

Infact if I ever meet another doe eyed moronic looking boy called Jaiden or Jayden with a mullet or buzz cut, I reckon I will slap his parents. Especially given the reason for it's dramatic increase in popularity was due to a little boy down south who was tragically murdered who had this name.

Angela Harlem said:

Infact if I ever meet another doe eyed moronic looking boy called Jaiden or Jayden with a mullet or buzz cut, I reckon I will slap his parents.

Haha...it's so sad and true that it's funny...

How about the name Mikhayla? There's another name which all of a sudden has about a dozen different ways of spelling it.

Angela Harlem said:
Especially given the reason for it's dramatic increase in popularity was due to a little boy down south who was tragically murdered who had this name.

Never thought of it that way....but there probably is a link of sorts there.

After years of working with a very diverse ESL population in school I don't usually hear names that I consider unusual. That being said, I was left speechless when a woman with a newborn I met at the store told me her daughter's name was Starlight Cauliflower. Poor little thing!

I've heard of one guy who named one of his daughter's O. I'm hoping it's just a nickname, but even when she was just a little child (she's now in her early 20s) she was referred to as O.

I can't understand doing that to a kid.

My dad seriously went to school with a boy named Donald Duck - no middle name or anything :lmao:
Me: I WISH my parent's had given me a more unusual name - they just picked what was popular that year - there were 4 of us in my class with EXACTLY the same first and middle name - BORING!!!:huh:

When we were having my oldest son soon to be 11, we each highlighted names in the baby book that we both liked.

One of the names I highlighted was "Scatman" as a joke. I had my husband going for weeks thinking that I was serious about the name. :ohmy:

Ha ha ha! Scatman.

My name is Alicia, which is fairly common these days, but growing up in rural Wisconsin with little to no Spanish-speaking population, no one knew how to pronounce it.

I once asked my mom why she picked that name, and she said "Because Alice was too boring."

Gee, ma, you didn't get too far in that baby name book!

My mom went to school with a kid whose dad was piss drunk when she was born. When her mom asked what to name the kid, he said "I don't care if you name her after a shooting star." So the mom took it literally and named her Shooting Star. :ohmy:

Vincent Vega said:
Well, there are always two parties involved in giving names.

really.

what about single mothers?

anyway. i considered naming my daughter sky blue. the night she was born, my best friend called me from the chelsea hotel (she was supposed to help coach me through labor but my daughter came almost three weeks early and she missed it)

i named my daughter chelsea, after the hotel.

amazingly enough, she is thirteen now and wishes i had named her sky blue.

corianderstem said:
Ha ha ha! Scatman.

My name is Alicia, which is fairly common these days, but growing up in rural Wisconsin with little to no Spanish-speaking population, no one knew how to pronounce it.

:wave: Me too!!! I learned long ago to let go of the urge to punch people in the face who called me 'A-leesh-a' instead of 'A-leece-ee-a' like it's supposed to be frickin' pronounced!! :madwife: Otherwise, I'd have to punch out about 4 people a week. Luckily, I go by my nickname: Lisa - which is only a problem when I have to show ID & it reads 'Alicia'. Folks have the hardest time for some reason understanding that I'm the SAME PERSON!!! :shrug:

Stupid people. :madspit:

Last edited:
I'm an A-leesh-a, but growing up I had A-LISH-uh, which I hated. I had a Colombian piano teacher who asked if he could call me A-lee-cee-ah because it was easier for him to pronounce.

I went to school with a girl who's name was spelled the same way, but pronounced like Alyssa. I refrained from telling her that her parents spelled her name wrong. :wink:

I have a method for dealing with names I can't pronounce (or for when I don't quite know what to call someone). When I want to talk to someone I either start with "um," "excuse me," or I make a little throat-clearing sound. Just about everyone will look at me with a questioning look on his/her face, and then I just start in on what I have to say. I doubt most people even notice. Sometimes I've gone years without saying anyone's name when I talk to people. :)

Now that I think of it, I did something similar with emails to at least one person. I was a bit wigged out about calling him by his name, even in emails, so I would always start my emails to him with a hi or a hiya, but never with his name. I did that for almost two years before I started to use his name. Ok, so I'm weird. :uhoh:

Last edited:
My mother used to work as a teacher aide, and in that time, she ran into some absolutely dreadful names. Unfortunately, I can only remember one, but it was the one that shocked me the most.

I don't know if this occurs in other countries, but when Asians immigrate to Australia, it's not unusual for them to take on a new English first name in place of their Asian name. For some, this is just a nickname, while others change their name by deed poll. For example, one girl in my maths class in high school was Nanami on the roll, but we all knew her as Becky. All of the Asians I knew in high school who did this chose pretty normal names (which was often a shame, as their Asian names were a whole lot more interesting), but my mother taught one boy in primary school - he was only about seven - whose parents allowed him to pick his own name and he chose an absolute shocker. Homer. As in Homer Simpson. I would like to say "no, he was just a really bright kid who adored the Iliad!", but nope, he took his name from Homer Simpson, and his parents changed it by deed poll. I think that merits a "WTF?"

Also, personally, my name is André, which has never caused anyone pronunciation difficulties (I suppose thanks in part to André Agassi, though I got tired of "oh, as in Agassi!", especially as my parents didn't name me after him), but it seems people have tremendous trouble spelling it. Now, I'm cool with people calling me "Andre" and I often put that on electronic forms myself to avoid difficulties with computers that don't recognise é (to get é, hold down ALT and hit 1 then 3 then 0 on the numberpad). But some spellings have left me dumbfounded. A few people spell my name "Andrea", which irritates the hell out of me. Some other odd spellings I've seen include "Andray" (phonetic, I guess), "Ondre", and "Andrae". And some people seem to just assume a 'w' is missing and call me "Andrew".

And then there's the matter of my stupid last name (I'm truly tempted to change it to Axver). It's more common as a first name, and back in high school, it seemed every substitute on earth lost the ability to read the roll correctly and called out my last name as my first name. I also nearly had to have a bloody argument recently when I was trying to get electricity connected to my new apartment because the person thought I was giving my first name when they asked for my last name. Bah.

Andre isn't even a terribly unusual name. I went to school with one, and have met a few others since.

There was a little Asian lad across the road of the house I grew up in and his name was Alis. As in Alice.
:slant:

Angela Harlem said:
Andre isn't even a terribly unusual name. I went to school with one, and have met a few others since.

Back in school, it was always the case that there was precisely one other André in the school. As soon as one graduated or moved away, another would arrive. It got weird after a while.

The old hippie element in our community have given us Euphoria Smith and, recently, Cedar Rain. The latter is uniquely suited to our Pacific Northwest location.

Back
Top Bottom