Bizarre kids names? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #31
War Child

Local Time: 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Regina Filangie
My son's first name is Landen and his middle name is Drake. He hates it. He's asked me many times why I couldn't have called him something normal. I think it's fine to give your child an unusual name. But I also think parents should consider whether that name is so strange that their child is going to be ridiculed. My son has never been teased, but I don't think you could say the same thing about a kid named Tinkerbell.
My dad's first name is Drake and I think it's pretty much the greatest name ever.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:27 PM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:28 PM
Fair enough... but Tinkerbell? Sorry, no. I can imagine Judge Tinkerbell Low will have a hard time being taken seriously from the day she is born until the day she dies.

As you can see, I'm an optimist.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
I've always loved the occasional instance of a couple marrying/having a kid and combining both their surnames to create an entirely new surname......a grand idea.

We are brilliant
Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
I like a lot of semi-weird names.

Some are Dutch like Marijke (mah-rye-kuh), Maaike (micah for a girl), Liesbeth (lease-bet), Thijs (tice), and Kees (case). I also like Petra and Jordan (for girls) b/c they are cool Biblical places. The only normal names I love are Ann Marie and Camille, but neither are family names.

Like sula said, in Tanzania I met tons of African woman named Happiness, Precious, and Patience. It sounded odd at first, but it's a cultural thing, just like our abundance of Courtneys, Ashleys, Brittanys, Katies, etc.

My mom always says the girls at her daycare are all named after cars - Avant, Mercedes, Kia, Porshe, Infinity, etc.

One of the worst I've heard of is Shithead (I think it's pronounced shih-tade). I'm guessing it's a legit Irish name or something, but...wow.

I don't mind weird names as long as there is a point. For example, my name is "weird", but really only here in the USA b/c it's a Dutch name and my entire extended family is Dutch. I think it's strange to give a kid a weird name with no regard for what the name really means or if it has no cultural or family significance. For example, I'd never give my child a traditional Muslim name, not b/c I have anything against them, but we're not Muslim and the name has no meaning.

Everyone should read the chapter on names in Freakonomics, it's hilarious, disturbing, and insightful.
I love the name Micah, I didn't know there was a feminine version of it! I love Petra too. Is that a long e or short e?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Caroni

We are brilliant
OHMYGOSH Caroni!!! I love your avatar!!! Now I have the song in my head "un kaledoscopio es me corazon!!!!" Do you have MSN??? We need to talk! I think we were separated at birth or something.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

I think Drake is a cool name-Landen too. They sound so sophisticated. Kids just don't like anything that makes them "diffferent", but when he gets older I bet he'll like it. There is a guy on a soap opera named Drake-Drake Hogestyn I like unique names, it makes someone stand out and somehow makes you more curious about them.

It's special to have a unique name, but perhaps it shouldn't be so bizarre that kids will be teased (Then again what defines that anyway? Kids will tease based upon precious little and anything/everything). I remember reading about that study of people being evaluated for jobs and being called for interviews based upon names. You have to think of the kids' futures too, sometimes names are more about the parents. Of course we should all be judged on who we are and not our names, but superficiality and subconscious does still exist.

I hated my name as a kid (and had jokes made about it) and in some ways I think I still don't like it. It's a bit unusual, especially these days. But I do like what it means.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

OHMYGOSH Caroni!!! I love your avatar!!! Now I have the song in my head "un kaledoscopio es me corazon!!!!" Do you have MSN??? We need to talk! I think we were separated at birth or something.

Sister

I´m a really big fan of sailor moon!

zooropera @ hotmail dot com
Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:28 AM
My mom works at a law office, and she's come across names like Winterbrook and even Dimple!
I even went to school with a girl named Polly Ester - that was her first and middle name.

When I have kids I want to give them names that aren't that common. I mean, I wouldn't want to give them a name that is in the top 20 baby names because then they would be one of 3 Ambers or 3 Jacobs in the classroom.
I tend to like really glamorous names for girls like Anastasia, Theodora, Daniella, Cassandra and so on. For boys I like Zachary, Tyler, Xavier, Matthew, James and Brian.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

^Daniella
Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

I love the name Micah, I didn't know there was a feminine version of it! I love Petra too. Is that a long e or short e?
I don't know, but I prefer a long one, like pay-trah. That's how I say it.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
One of the worst I've heard of is Shithead (I think it's pronounced shih-tade). I'm guessing it's a legit Irish name or something, but...wow.
I know our names look pretty rare at times (eg. Caoimhghín) but I am pretty sure Shithead is not a legit Irish name.

The boyfriend works with a French bloke called Mr Bastard. One time the police stopped him after he had a few and thought he was making his name up and ended up at the police station.

I hate my name, my first name and surname are very common so that's probably one of the main reasons. I prefer being called by my nickname. My parents didn't want to give us Irish names, they gave us the most popular protestant names at the time because they didn't want our religion to be obvious or for that to cause problems for us or prevent us from getting jobs in the future. (There were a lot more problems here when we were born).

Nothing wrong with a name that is a bit different of unusual, but I don't understand why some parent would name their sprog after a Tellytubby
Old 02-02-2007, 07:02 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I don't know, but I prefer a long one, like pay-trah. That's how I say it.
That's the German version, too.
Not like a pet with ra, but Pay-tra.

My name is Leif, spoken like life, and there is a song called "Life is Live", so you can figure out what happens. Ooh yeah, they are so creative.
Funny how everybody thinks he is the first one to come up with this.

It's a Scandinavian name, sp more common in the north of Germany.
Here in Berlin I always have to show my ID so that they believe me.

English speaking people always call me like "leave", but I got used to it by now.

My brother once told me that the girlfriend of one of his classmates was named Mary Joana by here parents.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #43
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent
My name is Leif, spoken like life, and there is a song called "Life is Live", so you can figure out what happens. Ooh yeah, they are so creative.
Funny how everybody thinks he is the first one to come up with this.
Someone else remembers 'Live Is Life'! HURRAH! I secretly really like the song, even though it's pretty awful.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sallycinnamon78

Someone else remembers 'Live Is Life'! HURRAH! I secretly really like the song, even though it's pretty awful.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #45
New Yorker

I love the way I've derailed my own thread.

Tags
baby names