Bizarre Beheading Incident on a Bus In Canada - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2008, 02:26 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:22 AM
like kieran said someplace else, it's like the guy had become infected with the rage virus (28 days/weeks later).

this is more terrifying though, as he wasn't infected with anything.

unbelievable news, this story is.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 AM
That is one of the most horrific things I've ever heard. How do you ever explain something like that? Has anything come out in the Canadian media about his background?

I was talking about it with a friend of mine and she mentioned how horrible it would also be for the witnesses. I don't know how you would cope for the rest of your life with seeing that.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:52 AM
article about the victim, Tim McLean

globeandmail.com: How a madman's blade cut Tim McLean's reunion short

article about suspect,

globeandmail.com: Suspect called friendly, reliable employee

One thing which strikes me about this incident is the veracity of eye-witnesses. Early eye-witness reports described the attacker as being a huge man over 200 pounds. It turns out he was about 5'9 with a stocky build and Asian. Theoretically, these witnesses probably would have been unable to identify the guy in a line-up. But I think it goes to show that under trauma and duress of a stressful situation, eye-witness accounts are not entirely factual or dependable. I have always felt this way yet some people think an eye witness means case closed.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This story's absolutely horrific. I've been sitting here trying to figure out what else to say about it but I can't, it's just horrifying.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Mother Fucker is from my home town! He worked at McDonalds and delivered the newspapers I read everyday. My God!

This poor kid was in Edmonton to work a carney booth at our festival (think Calgary Stampede) which isnt the best of money and he was just on his way home, just text his dad... horrible!

They are reporting he tried gutting the kid and eating some of him. What do you do with someone like this? I am totally opposed to the death penalty and thankfully we dont have it here, but with some of the murderers in this country only getting 10-15yrs I dread the day this guy gets out of prison. He is 40yrs old so hopefully he dies in jail.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #21
Refugee

The Greyhound Ghoul. What a sick motherfucker. I too cannot believe the RCMP didn't taser this son-of-a-bitch just for the hell of it. I can't believe not one person on the bus tried to help, you'd think there would be the one guy who would at least try and take this asshole out. Hope someone gets him in prison.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #22
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 06:22 PM
^ its comments like that that totally freak me out. Sure you can hate the guy, and be disgusted at what he did, but it ain't your call. Why should he be killed? I don't understand the thought process on that.

Meanwhile I just feel so badly for the victims family, especially for the mum who is away on a holiday - what horrible news to get. I also don't understand why no one did anything. Surely the victim would have screamed from the first stabbing, not after being stabbed 15/20 times, and like someone said, there were a few adults on the bus, surely they could have done something to subdue the guy? I know in hindsight everything can be 'what if' but just a horrible sad story.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

My bro told me he knows the murderer's boss. And yep, he *seemed* pretty normal to him.
Sounds like he may have snapped...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplereign View Post
Its just horrifying
I agree. Did anyone try to stop him?
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 AM
What a sad and horrific story. That poor family... Words can't even describe it.

Canadian broadcasters are having a field day (and soon to be a field week) with this. CBC, CTV, Global...every time you turn on the set, they're interviewing another friend of Tim McLean. It's very overwhelming, and I wish it would stop. The media blitz is understandable, however - no one expects this sort of violent crime to happen in Canada.

A disturbing trend I have noticed is the widespread condemnation of the victim's fellow passengers. People are calling them "cowards" for exiting the bus and trapping the murderer inside, rather than subduing him. I know we all like to think that we would act quickly and heroically in that sort of situation, but unless you have experienced something like that for yourself, making that kind of judgement might be a tad unfair. Our species' instinctual drive to protect the group and ensure self-preservation is one that is particularly strong. By doing what they did, those passengers minimised the chance of further fatalities and ensured that the victim's attacker wouldn't be able to escape. I don't think any of them would have expected that he'd decapitate Tim McLean.

I hope the bastard rots in jail. Or a psychiatric institution. Whatever.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I doubt this man will ever see the inside of a jail.

If he's even found fit to stand trial, he'll almost certainly be found NCRMD (not criminally responsible by reason of mental defect) and will spend the rest of his life in a psych ward.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Come on, people. Let's not lose our heads. It was a bizarre, random attack.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #28
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Normal Lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
The Greyhound Ghoul. What a sick motherfucker. I too cannot believe the RCMP didn't taser this son-of-a-bitch just for the hell of it. I can't believe not one person on the bus tried to help, you'd think there would be the one guy who would at least try and take this asshole out. Hope someone gets him in prison.
Murderers are awful! Boy I hope someone murders him!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

I just read about this in some paper. It is unbelievable that no one tried to intervene, but maybe after seeing someones head cut off they were all probably in shock.
So many horrible things happen that don't shock me because I feel so desensatized but this one really shocked me.

I hope for the publics safety that they put this guy away somewhere where he can't hurt anyone.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:48 PM   #30
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:22 AM
^ No one else was on the bus by the time Li started beheading McLean; the three men who attempted to reboard the bus (after evacuating the others) to see if saving McLean was still possible found Li in the process of beheading him at that time.

I agree with trevster...a hunting knife is an extremely lethal weapon, one requiring no expertise to have a good chance at fatally injuring anyone within close range; and the back seat of a dimly lit bus at night is an extremely difficult spot to tackle someone in--multiple people charging from several directions at once would not have been a possibility. Plus, as trevster pointed out, any large, heavy personal belongings which another passenger might have used as a combined shield/club had been stowed and locked away. And while it didn't wind up happening in this case, it was logical to assume that Li intended to move rapidly forward, pivoting and stabbing other sleep-disoriented passengers, after stabbing McLean a few times--so immediately acting to clear others out was a wholly appropriate thing to do. A physically fit person with military or police training in disarming someone with a knife might have had a reasonably good shot at overpowering Li without being fatally injured themselves; anyone else's chances would realistically have been very poor, as you'd be giving the stabber a clear shot at you by charging him head-on (the only available option in this case), and it only takes one stab to disable an opponent.

None of that makes it "okay" (for lack of a better word) that no one risked their lives attempting to immediately charge Li; to say that would imply that there's somehow one obvious morally correct way to respond to a situation just like this, and there really isn't.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline   Reply With Quote