Biological sex and gender identity: differences and overlaps - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #121
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
You know where this is going with 50+ genders. Increased sexual confusion, the need for "anti-transgender laws," lawsuits and accommodation by all of society regarding bathrooms, school sports, etc. See MA and CA recent laws.
Right, Facebook giving people more options is going to lead to increased sexual confusion. Because if you only provide two options, no one ever deviates!

Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Right, Facebook giving people more options is going to lead to increased sexual confusion. Because if you only provide two options, no one ever deviates!
Promise it stops with Facebook?

Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:57 AM
What's not really clear here, INDY, is what the problem is supposed to be if we allow trans and other non-gender conforming people to feel like they are normal. What happens that's bad after that?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #124
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Sorry you feel the need to marginalize the trans-species community. Inclusiveness requires that their voices and contribution to diversity be brought out from the shadows.

Henceforth I will identify as a cisHomo sapien.
i'm not sure why you have to be so rude about it. it's one thing to say "i don't understand" but it's another thing to jump to ridiculous conclusions and paint people who feel differently than you to be some kind of freak.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 PM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
I agree with you completely, but I wouldn't bring this up in the same-sex marriage thread. They will tell you that SSM should be legal because gays have no more control over their orientation than blacks do over their pigmentation.
Lol. No you're right, there's a gigantic conspiracy going on and you're just not in the know. Gay people just want to be gay. That's all there is to it!
Old 02-26-2014, 04:26 AM   #126
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:57 AM
On a whole other note... one thing about the transgender community I am genuinely curious about. Discussed this with a coworker last weekend as we had a girl at work who is going through the transformation to become a boy now. What I honestly wonder about, is that, since this person was 17 or something, they obviously are too young for surgery. But the behavioural changes and hormone treatments are there. So say, a girl fell in love with this person, acting like a boy, wanting to be a boy, but biologically still female... would she be gay or straight?

Since one could argue that you fall for someone's personality, but that doesn't take away the physical attraction... so I really don't have a clue!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Does it really matter? This issue is actually what makes conservative religious folks advise intersex people to remain celibate for life--because it could up that you're kind of gay by accident. I think that maybe once you move into the trans community you can move past who is post surgery and who is not, since the whole idea is that gender is based on identity rather than biology. Many trans people never choose surgery, esp. since there is some risk in change of sexual function. Hopefully the partners of trans people get over this and just love the person.

That said, some people do have boundaries. I had to read the autobiographical novel Stone Butch Blues last semester, in which the main character's girlfriend broke up with her when she (the MC) decided to transition from butch lesbian to trans man (with hormones but not surgery, mainly to keep from getting killed.) This was pre-Stonewall and girlfriend felt that passing as the straight partner of a man was not being false to her lesbian identity and her community. It's very sad but maybe it's fair, I don't know.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #128
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:57 AM
I'm not saying it matters, I'm just genuinely curious...
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #129
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
On a whole other note... one thing about the transgender community I am genuinely curious about. Discussed this with a coworker last weekend as we had a girl at work who is going through the transformation to become a boy now. What I honestly wonder about, is that, since this person was 17 or something, they obviously are too young for surgery. But the behavioural changes and hormone treatments are there. So say, a girl fell in love with this person, acting like a boy, wanting to be a boy, but biologically still female... would she be gay or straight?

Since one could argue that you fall for someone's personality, but that doesn't take away the physical attraction... so I really don't have a clue!
Straight. Even the transgender person generally views themselves as straight.

A man undergoing a male to female transformation will consider themselves a straight female attracted to men (from what I've seen).
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #130
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Promise it stops with Facebook?
Is your fear that people who aren't gay might think they're gay, or that people who aren't trans* might think they're trans*?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #131
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I think the argument (such as it is) is that if people see options, the very fact that such options are out there in the open and not actively shunned/shamed/hidden away behind blast doors will lead them to question their sexuality/gender identification.

Because as soon as I learned that gay people exist, I suddenly wasn't sure whether I was sexually attracted to females anymore. And once I learned that it was becoming more acceptable for gays to get married, I questioned the validity of my heterosexual marriage. And once I realized that some people identify as a gender other than their birth gender, it made me question my gender identity.

The logic is flawless, you'll have to admit.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

It's clear that he values gender identity, I'm just failing to see where recognizing the existence of identities that already exist actually, you know, DOES something.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #133
She's the One

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Righteous indignation?
Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 AM   #134
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:57 PM
We can force people into two sex buckets with narrow-mindedness or we can acknowledge that human biology is messy and personal identity messier still.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 AM   #135
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid