Biological sex and gender identity: differences and overlaps - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Sorry but like the vast majority of people I use them interchangeably because we live in the world of nature and reason, not Leftism and feminist/gender studies. I know the difference -- I just refuse to play the game. Human sexuality is very complex but we are all born male or female and feelings cannot change that.

like i said before, you're uninformed. i understand the comfort of ignorance and how one "feels" about a topic is more important than what one actually knows about a topic -- a certain half-term governor has built a reality-show career on it -- but anyone even passingly familiar with the actual definitions of the words, or even a dictionary, will tell you that, yes, there is a difference between one's sex and one's gender.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Sorry but like the vast majority of people I use them interchangeably because we live in the world of nature and reason, not Leftism and feminist/gender studies. I know the difference -- I just refuse to play the game. Human sexuality is very complex but we are all born male or female and feelings cannot change that.
"I enjoy being wrong. I embrace it. You can't make me be right. I'm not playing that game of being correct."

Old 02-21-2014, 02:24 PM   #78
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:18 PM
i personally know multiple people who identify as genderfluid, trans, and non-binary. all the differences between the different sexualities (just for one moment i'm lumping this together with pansexuality, asexuality, etc.) and gender identities, but you do get the hang of it. and yeah, any of these people would be (rightly) offended if i continuously used the wrong pronoun to refer to any of them. a one-time mistake, sure. we've all done that, even simply assuming someone's screenname sounded male or female, etc. but to be informed of how someone wishes to be addressed and to continue to call someone however i choose is just rude and ignorant.

indy, what if i insisted on using feminine pronouns for you? i could just decide your username sounds like something a girl would use and refuse to use male pronouns, no matter how often you correct me. would this not offend or upset you?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:18 AM
I think it would be very nice if the English language had a gender neutral pronoun. Other languages like Arabic and French have one, and it certainly makes life easier on so many levels.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:45 PM   #80
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:18 PM
So, I looked that up out of curiosity, to see if anyone had introduced the concept and so I'm now aware of Xe and Xyr... I can't read them in my head without, chuckling though, because it just sounds like an awful accented version of they and there.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

There are some genderqueer folks who use exactly that, like vocalist CN Lester, who identifies as neither male nor female and uses the pronoun they. CN Lester I think it works fine, except for the urge to pluralize all the verbs to match the pronoun. They even wrote a blog post on this exact subject AND Piers Morgan recently, and it's pretty smart. a gentleman and a scholar | trans politics, too many books, a great deal of music, assorted ephemera Not that it matters, but I also think Lester is rather gorgeous.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor

I don't mind the idea at all, actually. I hate saying he or she... Takes too much time.

Maybe I'll start dropping Xe in conversations. I'm sure I'd confuse everyone around me, lol.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #83
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:18 PM
English needs a good gender-neutral pronoun. I think some textbooks would say that it's "he", but I'm not a fan of that for obvious reasons. "They" is bad unless the verbs are switched to singular, which makes one sound stupid. I tend to use "she" for abstract people, but there's a small segment of the population (non-binary people and the like) who (understandably) may take issue with that.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #84
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Just use it. That's pretty much what we in Dutch and in French and German use for the gender neutral form.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:13 AM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

"They" does seem to be gaining quickly for singular usage, especially when the person is unidentified like in "Somebody needs go pick up their dirty socks." It seems like the switch could possibly happen somewhat naturally. Is that true, GG, that you use a plural pronoun for a GN singular? I never knew.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #86
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
English needs a good gender-neutral pronoun. I think some textbooks would say that it's "he", but I'm not a fan of that for obvious reasons. "They" is bad unless the verbs are switched to singular, which makes one sound stupid. I tend to use "she" for abstract people, but there's a small segment of the population (non-binary people and the like) who (understandably) may take issue with that.

what about "one"?
Old 02-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #87
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevey View Post
"They" does seem to be gaining quickly for singular usage, especially when the person is unidentified like in "Somebody needs go pick up their dirty socks." It seems like the switch could possibly happen somewhat naturally. Is that true, GG, that you use a plural pronoun for a GN singular? I never knew.
In Dutch we basically have he/she/it, where it is also used for animals (though if the gender is known it is used as well but not mandatory or something).
We also have different words for the, not as bad as the gazillion German versions though. We have De, Het and Een. They are sorta gender separated like de is male, het is female and een is genderless, but it's not as strict as say the French language where le is always male, la female and les genderless.

The only person using They as singular usage here is the Queen. Pardon me, king. Man it's been nearly a year but it still confuses. We haven't had a king in over a century.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Galeongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #88
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Just use it. That's pretty much what we in Dutch and in French and German use for the gender neutral form.
I thought you meant the word "it" at first and I was like.... That would go over terribly, lol.

I don't know why it took me forever to learn this, but I actually just learned the Japanese pronouns for male and female a couple weeks ago... I've only been studying Japanese on and off since 2002. You'd think this would've come up before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
what about "one"?
And risk sounding like a total douche?
Old 02-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #89
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Maybe I'll start dropping Xe in conversations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
And risk sounding like a total douche?

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor